Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,619
Location: California,USA

16 Mar 2020, 12:28 am

People are going Sooooooo CRAZY over here with buying TONS of toilet paper, buying Kleenex, soap, food & stealing groceries. It’s very scary with this Corona Virus.

Are people acting NUTS in your city?


_________________
You are my shining star that shine so bright that guide me to the light, so keep on rockin', cuz That's Rock and Roll


Callafiriel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2014
Age: 49
Gender: Female
Posts: 92

16 Mar 2020, 1:25 am

Where I'm living we're on lockdown as of midnight. No one is allowed to leave their home except for work "that is absolutely necessary" (what does that even mean? - most work-places are closed down, however), seeking medical help and "necessary grocery shopping" - whatever that means. I guess they will have to restrict that for people with day passes soon. Two days ago the government had announced that this would NOT happen. On Friday the shops were almost empty even though they're telling us that supply with food and things we daily need are not in shortage. They have now recruited the military to help out getting food to shops, unloading trucks etc.

Also, it's almost impossible to protect oneself against the virus as sanitizers are sold out all over the country as well as masks, which are reserved for people working in medical jobs now.

The lockdown is supposed to last one week. How will that work?, I ask myself. I'm sure it will have go on. You don't defeat a virus in just one week.

Parks, theatres, schools, shops (except groceries) etc. are closed. Most companies have shut down. People are afraid of losing their jobs. My husband is too; as he's one of the few people in his company who has no kids he'll get the sack first. I'm worried about that as I've suffered a severe burnout a few weeks back at my own job, have been diagnosed with severe major depression and anxiety disorder and am not able/allowed to work at the moment.



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,310
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Mar 2020, 3:29 am

Things are mostly business as usual where I'm at except the stores are out of some stuff & the comedy club & I guess other businesses that hold lots of people are shut down, maybe schools are too. My girlfriend's psychiatrist started offering patients the option to have video conferences but they can still come in if they want. Vermont only has one case of the virus thou unless that changed by now.

I really don't understand the hoarding that's all over the national news. I'm from an area that's fairly prone to hurricanes & lots of places would be out of power for a couple weeks after one including some businesses. People who did not evacuate were calm & didn't stockpile stuff other than essentials they'd need for long power outages like canned goods & flashlights & gas for generators. The only exception was when Hurricane Katrina caused New Orleans to flood, then people started mobbing & stealing things like TVs I guess so they could watch themselves on the news stealing the TV :? IDK how the f#ck TV is useful when your having a power outage & maybe flooding.


_________________
But I don't want to go among mad people, Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that, said the Cat: we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
How do you know I'm mad? said Alice.
You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.


LoloCee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 7 May 2014
Age: 49
Gender: Female
Posts: 18
Location: saint malo

16 Mar 2020, 5:52 am

I live in Italy, almost at the epicentre of the virus. My next door neighbour is locked inside his house because he caught it, luckily in a light form. It is all extremely scary and stressful. We are allowed to go out only for grocery shopping or medical reasons.
But it is important to stay indoors and isolated in order to slow the infection and avoid.the collapse of the sanitary system. There are too many people in intensive care.
And don't forget that we have one.of best sanitary system of the world, especially here in the North of the country.
So please, learn by our experience and avoid any unnecessary contacts, avoid crowded events, stay at home as much as possible!!



Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2017
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 906
Location: US

16 Mar 2020, 6:40 am

Where I live a lot of things have been closed down, even though I can understand it's that they want to contain the virus' spread.



SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 670

16 Mar 2020, 6:41 am

Callafiriel wrote:
Also, it's almost impossible to protect oneself against the virus as sanitizers are sold out all over the country as well as masks, which are reserved for people working in medical jobs now.


Washing your hands with warm soapy water for 20 seconds is as effective as hand sanitizer.

Given you can get this disease through your eyes, wearing sunglasses while outside is, I think a good idea or at worst a harmless idea.
(and the sunglasses will help to stop you from touching your eyes with your fingers).



IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Nov 2016
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,114
Location: Santa Maria, CA.

16 Mar 2020, 9:17 am

Yes. The driving, which is generally crazy, is getting even crazier with all this panic.



magz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,507
Location: Poland

16 Mar 2020, 9:40 am

Warsaw keeps calm, only minor shortages in grocery stores (lactose-free milk is unavailable, of our daily groceries). Schools are closed and teachers send their students work to do. Cultural, sport, etc. events cancelled. Whoever can, works remotely. People are not banned from anything, just asked to act responsibly and apparently most of them do.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.


revlar
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 5 Nov 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 120
Location: New Jersey

16 Mar 2020, 12:27 pm

I'm in a town in New Jersey close to NYC and things are getting shut down. In New Jersey, all casinos and movie theaters are closed and there's an 8pm curfew at bars and restaurants. One town is in complete mandatory quarantine because it's had the most cases in the county. I've heard from numerous reliable sources that Bergen County (the one I'm in) will shut down anywhere from tomorrow to in two weeks.

Other than that, people are acting fine--nobody being crazy. Less traffic and the supermarkets aren't as bad as I thought they'd be.



League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 23,851
Location: Pacific Northwest

16 Mar 2020, 3:30 pm

Walgreens near my house was out of all wipes, TP, hand santatizers, face masks, and facial tissue.

The Fred Meyer near me was out of all TP and facial tissue and out of cases of baby wipes and baby diapers were nearly gone. All they had left were baby packs wipes so I grabbed 3 small packs. The other Fred Meyer I took my husband too, all out of fresh foods.

All events over 250 people were cancelled ordered by the state and now they are saying anything with over 50 people will also be cancelled. I went to my Union thing on Saturday and only few people showed up and they had chairs spread apart. They had so much snacks left over they told all of us to take as much as we want upon leaving.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,266
Location: Long Island, New York

16 Mar 2020, 6:24 pm

Any gathering over 50 prohibited
Bars, Nightclubs, movie theaters, gyms shuttered
Restaurants takeout and delivery only.
All schools closed, they will attempt remote learning.
Religious services online only

I have not been a food store since last week, they were ok then, but reports of empty shelves and long lines to get in now.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,734
Location: Michigan

16 Mar 2020, 8:56 pm

Michigan: TP hard to find lol
Gatherings over 50 prohibited
Lots of places closed down (restaurants, churches, etc...)

Surprisingly when I went to the store there was a good amount of food and plenty of water! In a smaller town however...

I'm going to stay in my place or just go to my aunt/uncle that live in same building as me, but I might have to go to pharmacy.


_________________
Crazy Bird Lady

My dove in my plant!

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD Level 1 2/6/2020


Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Feb 2019
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 500
Location: New England

16 Mar 2020, 11:23 pm

nick007 wrote:
Things are mostly business as usual where I'm at except the stores are out of some stuff & the comedy club & I guess other businesses that hold lots of people are shut down, maybe schools are too. My girlfriend's psychiatrist started offering patients the option to have video conferences but they can still come in if they want. Vermont only has one case of the virus thou unless that changed by now.

I really don't understand the hoarding that's all over the national news. I'm from an area that's fairly prone to hurricanes & lots of places would be out of power for a couple weeks after one including some businesses. People who did not evacuate were calm & didn't stockpile stuff other than essentials they'd need for long power outages like canned goods & flashlights & gas for generators. The only exception was when Hurricane Katrina caused New Orleans to flood, then people started mobbing & stealing things like TVs I guess so they could watch themselves on the news stealing the TV :? IDK how the f#ck TV is useful when your having a power outage & maybe flooding.

You're a bit behind o.o

-Gov. Scott declared state of emergency on the 13th
-Sunday he Issued that all schools and school activities cease by Wed. And will be that way until at least April 6th.
-Today he ordered closure of all bars and restaurants statewide. They can still offer food takeout and delivery service. Starting tomorrow and is in effect until April 6; could be extended.
-Gatherings are limited to 50
-There's continued efforts to move people to working at home/remotely
-Last I looked there are 12 confirmed cases

There's very little of many things, including cat food. TP, tissues, water, and the other things hard to find other places are also really hard to find if at all. I find all the hoarding pretty damn selfish of people.


_________________
"Inside the heart of each and every one of us there is a longing to be understood by someone who really cares. When a person is understood, he or she can put up with almost anything in the world."


nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,310
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Mar 2020, 1:45 am

Alterity wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Things are mostly business as usual where I'm at except the stores are out of some stuff & the comedy club & I guess other businesses that hold lots of people are shut down, maybe schools are too. My girlfriend's psychiatrist started offering patients the option to have video conferences but they can still come in if they want. Vermont only has one case of the virus thou unless that changed by now.

I really don't understand the hoarding that's all over the national news. I'm from an area that's fairly prone to hurricanes & lots of places would be out of power for a couple weeks after one including some businesses. People who did not evacuate were calm & didn't stockpile stuff other than essentials they'd need for long power outages like canned goods & flashlights & gas for generators. The only exception was when Hurricane Katrina caused New Orleans to flood, then people started mobbing & stealing things like TVs I guess so they could watch themselves on the news stealing the TV :? IDK how the f#ck TV is useful when your having a power outage & maybe flooding.

You're a bit behind o.o

-Gov. Scott declared state of emergency on the 13th
-Sunday he Issued that all schools and school activities cease by Wed. And will be that way until at least April 6th.
-Today he ordered closure of all bars and restaurants statewide. They can still offer food takeout and delivery service. Starting tomorrow and is in effect until April 6; could be extended.
-Gatherings are limited to 50
-There's continued efforts to move people to working at home/remotely
-Last I looked there are 12 confirmed cases

There's very little of many things, including cat food. TP, tissues, water, and the other things hard to find other places are also really hard to find if at all. I find all the hoarding pretty damn selfish of people.
Thanx for the update. I haven't kept up with the local news much. How are the limited gatherings working with places like stores? Are there cops outside all big stores like WalMart acting as bouncers & counting customers & employees :?: I hope that's not the case. Me & my girlfriend don't drive & have to rely on buses to go to stores like WalMart & the grocery. Going to WalMart already takes us 4 hours due to us taking the bus so I'd hate for us to have to wait around in line till the store is ready to allow us entry. That would make our trip take all freaking day. I got an email from the health center today that they will be having shorter hours & not accepting walk in appointments. There were other things but those are the two I'm concerned about. I've been having a problem with my ear & I would of done a walk in but I had an appointment with my regular doc on the 25th of this month. It was just a followup that was scheduled a couple months ago. My appointment was for 6:45pm & I find out today that the health center won't have any appointments after 5pm which means my appointment will have to be rescheduled. It normally takes me over a month to get an appointment with my regular doc & I cant do walk ins now so that means I'll have to wait around till like May to get my ear looked at. I'll probably need a referral so who knows how long it'll be before I get it taken care of.

I kinda suspect that most are hoarding out of fear that others are. Basically people are afraid that places will be out of stuff they want cuz others are hoarding so it seems like everyone starts hoarding just incase so they themselves are causing the exact thing they are worried about.


_________________
But I don't want to go among mad people, Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that, said the Cat: we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
How do you know I'm mad? said Alice.
You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.


Last edited by nick007 on 17 Mar 2020, 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

17 Mar 2020, 2:10 am

It occurred to me that part of the reasons for the lockdowns and personal precautions bring stressed, is to hopefully reduce the number of people catching regular colds and flu to keep medical resources as freed up as possible.

The more people who get sick with just plain colds and flu, the more people will be crowding medical facilities to make sure they don't have the coronavirus.



Asple Pie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 14 Mar 2020
Gender: Female
Posts: 7
Location: Somewhere uncomfortable

17 Mar 2020, 2:31 am

The place I live is famous for being the most isolated city in the world, so we don't have many confirmed cases here yet and I don't think we have reached the community spread stage.

But people are still insane with buying toilet paper, flour and rice. My dad has made his own hand sanitizer out of aloe gel and alcohol.

I had to wait 3 days for a free time slot to pick up my online grocery order, I used to be able to pick up the same day.

Sporting events, concerts and large conferences have been cancelled. My butcher is only doing online shopping with deliveries now and yesterday, the mail package delivery guy wouldn't let my sign for my package, he did it for me and with a grin, said its because of the virus.

There doesn't seem to be as many people around like there usually is, my sister said that anyone who has agoraphobia can now start to feel like they are normal as everyone seems to be staying home these days.


_________________
My neurodiverse score: 131 of 200
My neurotypical score: 70 of 200
I'm very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
.... which explains why I've always felt a bit odd.