Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2020, 6:53 am

I got nothing against people supporting causes especially at this time but clapping just seems kinda silly to me. Honestly I hate clapping in general. I mean a little clap is ok but there are those claps that go on forever.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Apr 2020, 4:53 pm

tb86 wrote:
I got nothing against people supporting causes especially at this time but clapping just seems kinda silly to me. Honestly I hate clapping in general. I mean a little clap is ok but there are those claps that go on forever.
I guess you must hate this current popular song :arrow:

I think I understand how you feel about clapping thou. I'm not really into it either. Clapping can be annoying sometimes. I fake it when I'm expected to clap for something. I move my hands together fast but I do it in a way where my hands are barely touching each other.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2020, 6:20 pm

tb86 wrote:

I know what the NHS is, but what does it mean to clap for it?

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 3:11 am

Magna wrote:
tb86 wrote:

I know what the NHS is, but what does it mean to clap for it?

Since the start of the lockdown in the UK we’ve started a new custom of people up and down the country applauding the NHS workers from their doorsteps, balconies, back-gardens etc every Thursday evening at 8pm.
This has been extended into honking car-horns, banging pots and pans together, blowing whistles and so forth.
A massive display of appreciation for our healthcare system and national solidarity.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 3:46 am

I like doing it

Though I tend to do it from the window unobtrusively as some of the neighbours know that I am a Nurse and I dont want the attention - as well meaning as it is.

Its a rare sympbol of solidarity round these parts. Also - when out on a walk I have noticed that people say hello to each other more.

I quite enjoy the sensory aspect of clapping too.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 4:34 am

Velorum wrote:

Though I tend to do it from the window unobtrusively as some of the neighbours know that I am a Nurse and I dont want the attention - as well meaning as it is.

You'd hate it round here, they do a parade down the middle of the street if they're key workers...

Almost everyone round here does it except one person who's known for being selfish. If it's a noise sensitivity issue, I wouldn't go out but I'd put something on the window or something saying 'long live the NHS'.

If it's touch sensitivity, I'd go out and cheer for them.

I have slight touch sensitivity around clapping but compared to what the NHS are doing for us? Small price to pay tbh. Plus it's nice to have the solidarity of the neighbourhood and see the faces of everyone and we have a bit of a chat beforehand about pets and things like that.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 4:43 am

I'm afraid I wouldn't clap them under any circumstances. When I was a child I went to all these assessments, was put on a vile diet for years and all because the doctor was doing a thesis on my condition and how diet affected it. HE DIDN'T GIVE A DIAGNOSIS! Had he done so I might've got the support that I needed instead I got mercilessly bullied because I couldn't fit in and not a thing was done.

Stardust_Dragonfly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 8:25 am

I don't have a problem with people who don't clap. Clapping isn’t the only way to show appreciation, and not clapping doesn’t mean you don’t. Even before the pandemic, I always thanked and was grateful to doctors/nurses/check-out workers. I understand that it is showing appreciation and solidarity, but people can also do that in their own way.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 8:30 am

Clap for the Wolfman,
He's gonna rate your record high!
Clap for the Wolfman,
You gonna dig him 'til the day you die!

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 8:33 am

I am the Wolfman!

They clap for healthcare workers here in the US, too. But the clapping doesn’t extend too far from prominent areas.

My wife is a nurse....nobody has clapped for her. Except me.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 8:59 am

^ Yeah, I’ve heard they’re doing it in Spain too. :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 9:01 am

They deserve it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 9:04 am

Quote:
Wolfman Jack Biography

Wolfman Jack (January 21, 1938 -- July 1, 1995) was the stage name of a disc jockey hugely popular in the 1960s and 1970s.

Born Robert Smith, he came to prominence in the United States in the 1960s as a disc jockey on Mexican radio stations, including a stint with XERF-AM, which broadcast into the United States with a transmission of 250,000 watts, five times more powerful than any American stations.

The hip, sexually suggestive Wolfman Jack persona allowed Smith to ignore the prevailing racial segregated of American radio.

Wolfman Jack's program was broadcast to much of the United States and into Canada.  He played whatever music he liked, regardless of the performer's ethnicity.  Any night a listener might hear a mix of blues music, rockabilly, doo-wop, zydeco, rock and roll, jump blues, rhythm and blues or jazz.

He frequently punctuated his broadcasts with howls, which, along with his gravelly voice, made him instantly recognizable.  This style was modeled, at least in part, on bluesman Howlin' Wolf.  Smith was Caucasian, but many listeners assumed he was African American.

Despite -- or perhaps
because of -- his widespread popularity, Smith chose to keep Wolfman Jack a mystery.  Stories appeared in national newspapers, reporting rumors of his true identity.

Only in 1973 by appearing in the George Lucas film American Graffiti, did Wolfman Jack allow the public to see him.  His broadcasts tie the film together and a main character catching a glimpse of the mysterious Wolfman is a pivotal scene.

Afterwards, he appeared in several films and television shows (including The Midnight Special and his own show, The Wolfman Jack Show).  He also furnished his voice in the 1974 Guess Who's tribute, the top 40 hit single, "Clap for the Wolfman".
We now return you to your regularly-scheduled program...

Last edited by Fnord on 17 Apr 2020, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 9:07 am

Yeah yeah....I know about the ORIGINAL Wolfman 8)

He allowed me to take his copyright and trademark.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 9:40 am

I get clapping a bit to show appreciation, support, etc. but I too hate the extended claps that seem to go on forever, I can never keep it up for the entire duration of those. But clapping for the NHS does not seem to be something that people do in my area.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 9:46 am

^ didn’t realise you’re British! :lol:

What type of area are you in?
My parents and sis are in a very “Labour” part of the country, and it’s enormous there, I’m in a very “Tory” part of the country and it’s shorter and quieter, but still happening.