Do humans suffer more than animals?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 5:25 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Humans certainly have more capacity to induce suffering in others than non-human animals.

For sure.

Some "types" of suffering seem specific to humans, but animals can also go through a great deal of it and in extreme conditions, they are even capable of committing suicide.

unless your referring to whales ? whose sonar maybe have been damages do to intervention by our own modern sonar technologies?

Animals are a lot less dramatic about it and often suffer in silence and solitude.

wonders if their language for suffering is different ? whats more ?
i did not know of any suicidal animals in existence?

Quote:
whereever you go ,there you are

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 6:37 pm

Some wild animals taken into captive will starve themselves to death, so maybe a form of suicide.

"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 8:37 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Some wild animals taken into captive will starve themselves to death, so maybe a form of suicide.

Have read of humans in captivity on a starvation fast as a form of rebellion ?

Quote:

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 9:27 pm

Animals feel pain, I saw animal videos where someone dies or an animal died, they can grieve like humans too. Animals can treat their babies better than humans can with their children. I rather spend time with animals than alot of people.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2020, 3:51 am

Jakki wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_suicide

I've seen a documentary about it a long time ago, but I don't remember what it was called.

Jakki wrote:

Interesting question: I'm not sure, but after previous experiences, I can't bear looking into their eyes when they're in serious pain or dying :(

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2020, 3:55 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Jakki wrote:

I've seen a documentary about it a long time ago, but I don't remember what it was called.

Jakki wrote:

Interesting question: I'm not sure, but after previous experiences, I can't bear looking into their eyes when they're in serious pain or dying :(

Lemmings. Lemmings hurl themselves off cliffs in mass suicide.

https://youtu.be/AOOs8MaR1YM

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2020, 7:27 pm

Jakki wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Sands

"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:40 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Thank you very much .. bless you for supplying that link ... it was incredibly Brilliant learning experience .
Fascinating part of history .

Quote:

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 9:12 pm

I think human animals and other similar animals experience the same pain, but suffering is the reaction to pain (whether physical or emotional pain).

In some ways humans are more equipped to manage our suffering because we can understand what is happening and can try to think about it in a calm and reasoned way. For instance if we have to have a somewhat painful medical procedure we know what to expect, whereas an animal would just be taken by surprise and terrified.

But it also works the other way: humans can make ourselves stressed out and scared by overthinking and by our expectations, and letting our imagination run wild, but an animal takes things as they come, which is sometimes a much better way of coping with inevitable pain.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 9:18 pm

Humans are animals, at least according to modern biological classification. We are part of the animal kingdom.

Kiprobalhato
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Jun 2020, 11:57 pm

Teach51 wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Jakki wrote:

Lemmings. Lemmings hurl themselves off cliffs in mass suicide.

https://youtu.be/AOOs8MaR1YM

this is fake, a staged massacre of innocent lemmings arranged by the evil d*sney corporation to reinforce longstanding misconception.

lemmings don't fall off cliffs any more than gorillas do.

אייאייאייאייאייאייאייאייאייאיי

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 8:38 am

Jakki wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Thank you very much .. bless you for supplying that link ... it was incredibly Brilliant learning experience .
Fascinating part of history .

You’re welcome.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 9:30 am

I think that animals suffer more than humans. Look at all the house pets who suffer every day from abuse and neglect through the hands of their own owners. If people decide that they no longer want their pets, they should give them to people who do want pets, than none of this would happen. How stupid can people be?

Kanye West 2020

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 9:48 am

In one of Temple Grandin's books about animal psychology (I think it's "Animals in Translation," but don't have a copy handy), she gave an answer to this based on her years of hands-on experience improving the welfare of farm animals. She says that compared to other animals (well, mammals and birds at least), humans seem to cope significantly worse with physical pain. But, counterintuitively, we have MORE ability to endure psychological suffering. Makes sense when you think about it- if someone psychologically torments a dog, it doesn't have the intellectual resources to understand what has happened and to deal with how the abuse has distorted its thought processes.