Assuming you have $1 million in hand

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Throwawayacccounts
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Dec 2020, 10:47 pm

Assuming you had $1 million in hand, what would you do with it? Like if you won the lottery and you now have $1 million after taxes.

For me, $1 million isn't enough to live off of. I think I would take about a quarter of that and invest into stocks, and take another quarter and invest it in other places. I would then start trying to rebuild connections with family or get to a point to start my own family. Beyond that, I wouldn't change all that much. Like I might start seeing a therapist because I could afford one worth while, I most likely would consult a doctor on what I'm eating so I can eat healthy (because at which point I could start affording my own food and I can fix my diet). I most likely would hire some physical person to help me get into shape. Like not tone, but to get to a healthy point in weight and to fix problems with my legs and other parts (I've had major surgeries on my knee, and it causes me a lot of problems at times).

After all of that, I calculated I only need about $20k a year to afford a lifestyle I would be happy with. After a good year or 2 with investing half of it and seeing how that goes. I would start an investing firm that focuses exclusively on investing into ideas and businesses ran by disable people. That away it gives people a chance if they have a good idea. People who are high on the unemployed group, and honestly have no other choice, that would give them hope. At the same time I would be pushing to go into the political world or pushing for law to be made which helped numbers like 85% of autistic people are unemployed, and 40%-45% of all disabled are unemployed. Like I would push for a UBI for these groups, but I would also push for government programs to help. I would push for fully remote work, changing interviews, and so on. Like investing in a few political people with the string that they promise to push for these things. And by changes, you don't need to make a law saying x interview style is illegal. It could be if your company uses a given interview style, then it gets a tax break or something.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 11:09 pm

I'd move out of the city into a small house in the country. I'd get my own washer and dryer. I'd also get an oven with a flat top stove. I'd get myself loft bed that has lots of storage built in. I'd also buy myself an electric fireplace.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 11:26 pm

- I'd put about 450k into buying a house.
- 15-20k towards a good used car (that's still in the warranty period).
- 30k towards a standard savings account that I could withdrawal from at anytime without penalty, for fun stuff like vacations and emergency needs.
The other 500k into a high-yield savings account.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 11:50 pm

$1 here is around 50php.
That would give me 50 million php. :P On top of the overall cost relatively lower than the US...
Therefore it's so much more for me.

If I go for solo route --

Best house for myself, capable of living off grid. ($200k)
Seeking medical answers and permanent solutions. ($100k)
Investing business/high yield savings accounts. ($300k)

The leftovers are for my personal indulgence and needs. Emergencies?
Travelling? Experimenting? Adventuring? :twisted: Further learning? ($400k)

Why no transports? That would be too conspicuous. :lol:
If I had a $1m on hand, no one had to know.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 12:01 am

I'd put the rest of the money in an RDSA account for people on disability. I'd still be making my $1000 a month by working at a part-time job.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Dec 2020, 5:08 am

I would discuss with my girlfriend what to do with the one mil. We'd probably buy a small house cuz living in low income apartments can sure s#ck. She would also want to help her family out with things but that would be a lower priority for me than taking care of ourselves. I have aLOT of debt I should pay off & Cass has a bit of debt too. I could maybe use some of the mil that is left over to help build my credit back up by getting a secured credit-card.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 5:12 am

A small house with large barn. I so desperately need my own creative space where I am not trying to work around things in the way.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 7:13 am

I’d retire.

Then, when I had rested enough to get my mind back, I could think more clearly about it. But in general, with excess funds I’d use my old rule of thumb: 1/3 to spend, 1/3 to save and 1/3 to give away.

[if I did not already own a house, that is what I would do]

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 7:20 am

Savings account that pays out interest.

Even if it's only 3%, that's still $30,000 a year. That may not sound like much, but it's a nice cushion in addition to whatever else you make. If you're underemployed, it can be a godsend. If you have a good job, but are miserable and struggling to keep it, you can consider part-time work, or not worry as much if you're fired. Most Aspies who work are either underemployed, or have good jobs but struggle harder than NTs to hold on to them.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Dec 2020, 7:45 am

I'd buy a bigger apartament/house, prefrably, in the same neighborhood. It would be nice to have a workshop outside of the bedroom ;)
Otherwise, I don't expect my life to change much.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Noam1515
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2020, 8:58 am

Despite what others have stated here, I wouldnt necessarily buy a house with all this money. Instead, I would spend it on things that keep me safe, secure, happy, etc. To me it never really mattered so much if the house/apartment I live in is mine or rented.

First thing I would do with the money, is look for ways to get married fast. Because marriage is a big achievement to me, and I would have something I can be proud of about myself. I would probably spend it on experts who help special people get married, or spend it on things that make a girlfriend happy and more encouraged to go for marriage.

However, I'd be kinda pissed off if she's with me just for the money. Also, if I have a health issue, all the money in the world might not make me happy necessarily. And also the fact, some health issues cant be solved by having a lot of money, especially critical ones.

And other than that - buy the most expensive or highest quality things, when it comes to electronics, vehicles, furniture, and so on.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 1:07 pm

A million isn't enough, so I'd buy some bricks and a scale. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 1:31 pm

nick007 wrote:
I have aLOT of debt I should pay off & Cass has a bit of debt too.

Oh right, student loans 8O .
Okay I'm amending my answer:
Taking ~50k from the savings and paying off our loans.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 1:46 pm

Quit my job and enroll in full time University studies. Non study time would be used for beach time, motorcycle riding, and kiteboarding in the Summer. But I’d be a full time student for much of the next decade if I had $1M and didn’t have to work to pay bills and save towards goals.

Probably buy some other s**t, too. Maybe a different vehicle - maybe; mine is still good, after all.

And I’d still be just as charitable or more so as I am now. The biggest change would be that I’d be spending my time learning and studying vs working.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 5:42 pm

$1,000,000 is roughly £745,000.

I would invest in two properties of circa £200,000 each and rent them out, giving me a regular income. One would be in Scotland, where I would like to retire eventually, the other can be wherever the market is on the up and it would be sold if either of my parents became ill, which I daresay is inevitable eventually.

I'd spend circa £145,000 on a new narrowboat to replace my current one (plus whatever I can sell this one for).

I'd set aside £100,000 for training courses, and take whatever I fancied doing. Either as possible employment, or for pure education, or arts and crafts / DIY amusement, or to have more skills to offer as a volunteer. Depending on how things went, some of this could also be used to start up hobby businesses.

I would spend my time travelling around doing a variety of jobs, both paid and voluntary.

With the remaining £100,000 I'd buy a classic car and a miniature steam locomotive, with enough set aside for their storage, upkeep and use.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 6:40 pm

I'm not greedy, but I'd like to have enough money so that I don't have to worry about money any more.

I'd do a few things with my million:-

- Give my dad and brother money to buy their house
- Give my mum enough money to pay for private health care to treat the cancer better
- Buy myself and my boyfriend a large cottage (with no neighbours joined on to us) with enough rooms for mine and his hobbies* and our pets
- Buy myself a car
- Book vacations - and go first class too

*If I had the room and the money I'd love to buy as many toys as I can remember having in my childhood, as a collector type of thing, and have a whole room of nostalgia.

But at the moment I'm poor. *Sigh* :cry: