Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 10:01 pm

If you bought pajamas bottoms with the right size & then later you bought new ones from the same company, you bought the same size, can different clothing from the same company be different size too?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 10:06 pm

It is possible.

But clothes also stretch a bit as they age just like shoes do.

Clothes last about 10 to 20 years. Now during that time they are bound to stretch a little.

Also they may get new pwople making them, and even if it is the exact same person the odd one or two will be a slightly smaller or larger size in places.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 5:23 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
It is possible.

But clothes also stretch a bit as they age just like shoes do.

Clothes last about 10 to 20 years. Now during that time they are bound to stretch a little.

Also they may get new pwople making them, and even if it is the exact same person the odd one or two will be a slightly smaller or larger size in places.

I have an old sweatshirt that is over 25 years old, my mom gave it to me, she owned a preschool, I helped teachers,I went on field trips with them, the sweatshirt is still in vey good shape, the words of the name of the school & the balloons are not faded, but it little too small now.

Sinister Biscuit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Mar 2021, 5:26 pm

I have about 30 of the same tshirt (long story, but i generally wear the same thing every day with seasonal variation).

A few times I've received an order and a shirt or two is sized smaller than the others in the order.

It feels more like a mislabel to me.
YMMV

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 5:58 pm

I wear Levi jeans every day. Black ones for work, blue ones when not.

I have noticed slight variations in size over the years. I buy 32" w 34" leg. Some seem a tighter fit than others when new so I am assuming that there is variation in exact sizing. Once in use other factors come into play of course that can result in a slightly different fit.

I would guess that with most clothing manufacture there is a +/- degree of variation that still falls within QA standards.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

Iphone31966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2021, 6:09 pm

What if everyone wore no clothes at all and everyone could at least be dressed identically which would be naked.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 6:11 pm

My birthday suit runs a little large these days...

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 6:16 pm

I find clothing, the sheer variety and never ending changes in what is available due to fashion to be a real PITA.

Thats why when I find something I like I buy it in multiples so that I can go for a long period of time without having to worry about it.

I sometimes have lucid dreams where we live in a wold where all that is available is one design and colour of a one piece jump suit so that everyone wears the same thing and doesnt have to make any choices about it. The same kind of uniformity as everyone being naked. I quite like the idea.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 6:27 pm

I kept listening to the whole 'clothes give with time' thing...

It's probably true...

But my arms literally can't turn in formal stuff meant to be 'my size'. Even given ages of trying to wear it.

I'm tempted to just get the size up when it comes to formal tops especially jackets.

Bear in mind I don't work so it's just an aesthetic choice if I choose to wear them rather than a hoodie. Atm I'm scared of them so I only wear my hoodies and sometimes a jumper.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 11:26 pm

I used to love wearing jeans when I was much younger, but not anymore.

Now I prefer wearing slacks and khakis.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 8:23 am

I have a theory about the beautiful over the practical...

It goes in class and gender phases.

Working class men will adapt something cos it's more practical. (Historically this makes sense: if you're a farm labourer or a builder's labourer or a miner etc, you don't need to be giving too much thought to aesthetics, you need to be thinking 'what is the most practical/comfortable thing I can have on my body while doing hard graft')
Then middle class men will start to see it as acceptable. Then wealthy men will.
Then the same happens with women...
Starting with working class women: after all, if you're (historically) a maid or a washer woman, practicality is important.
Takes a long time for wealthy women to be dressed in jeans and sweater. Two historically/originally working class items - practical items from different parts of the English speaking world - which now look unisex on middle class women but only a rare woman would wear down a red carpet...

Practicality is seen as both lower class and masculine.

In two hundred years time, if tracksuits are still around, rich ladies will be wearing them & wondering what all the fuss was about - after all they're not wearing nylon, they're wearing velvet or maybe the nylon is an expensive fabric by then etc...

Trying to remember where I read this but when trousers were first invented, they weren't allowed in the (all male) house of Lords. Lords were to wear doublet and hose. Trousers were the mark of the common man.

Nowadays they're the mark of everyone apart from royal women. Heck there's probably pictures out there of Princess Kate in some trousers. Royal women certainly wear Jodhpurs.

I think the ideal outfit would be both beautiful (aesthetically pleasing) and comfortable and practical. I think it would therefore be made of velvet if you live in the north/far south part of the world and silk if you live closer to the equator. It would be very expensive and therefore not ideal to anyone who couldn't afford it.

Velour tracksuits come close to this as far as affordable is concerned.