What Word Would You Use Instead Of "Literally"?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

29 Apr 2021, 7:03 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
To replace "literally" being used the right way, I'd say "actually." Followed by "and I mean actually" if they look doubtful.

To replace "literally" being used the wrong way, I'd use "practically." IIRC, that's the word that was used for this kind of hyperbole before "literally" took over.

Much better and simpler way of phrasing things than my attempts! Top one was what I was asking about originally, bottom one is also interesting after seeing people's replies even though I never though to ask about it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 9:58 am

OutsideView wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
To replace "literally" being used the right way, I'd say "actually." Followed by "and I mean actually" if they look doubtful.

To replace "literally" being used the wrong way, I'd use "practically." IIRC, that's the word that was used for this kind of hyperbole before "literally" took over.

Much better and simpler way of phrasing things than my attempts! Top one was what I was asking about originally, bottom one is also interesting after seeing people's replies even though I never though to ask about it.

I apologize for not understanding.

If you got so stressed from talking to the doctor on the phone that you literally fell on the floor...I guess that I would repeat the point by saying "I literally fell on the floor. Physically collapsed on to the floor, and had to be carried away (or whatever happened next). " Which is what folks usually do anyway when they talk about something dramatic, and traumatic. Do a little bit of repetition to drive it home.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 10:13 am

OutsideView wrote:
I was reading a discussion recently about if you should only use the word literally in the correct way or if it's OK to use it to add emphasis to figurative things. "I literally shopped 'til I dropped" could work either way but what word would you use to let people know you actually did collapse after shopping if "literally" isn't taken literally any more? I looked up some synonyms and "actually" or "genuinely" seem like good alternatives.

I literally don't use the word literally in such a sentence as it is not literal. (I just had to add my humour in that sentence!) Many words today are reversed from their origional meanings and confuses things. Example. "What do you think of this?" and someone replies saying "Sick", I will assume they don't like it, but they then would be upset by my response to their reply.
If people stuck to saying what they really mean it would be so much easier! :P

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

29 Apr 2021, 10:33 am

naturalplastic wrote:

All good :thumleft:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 10:44 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
OutsideView wrote:
I was reading a discussion recently about if you should only use the word literally in the correct way or if it's OK to use it to add emphasis to figurative things. "I literally shopped 'til I dropped" could work either way but what word would you use to let people know you actually did collapse after shopping if "literally" isn't taken literally any more? I looked up some synonyms and "actually" or "genuinely" seem like good alternatives.

I literally don't use the word literally in such a sentence as it is not literal. (I just had to add my humour in that sentence!) Many words today are reversed from their origional meanings and confuses things. Example. "What do you think of this?" and someone replies saying "Sick", I will assume they don't like it, but they then would be upset by my response to their reply.
If people stuck to saying what they really mean it would be so much easier! :P

Sometimes the reverse meaning becomes the dominant one. Originally to condescend to someone didn't carry the negative connotations it does now; this is why bitching about people using the word literally when they literally mean the opposite is silly, ironic speech isn't actually confusing when you're aware of it.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2021, 9:21 am

I honestly can't stand it when people use "literally" figuratively. Some say it's the natural way language evolves but I say that's just the result of stupid people being stupid.
There's plenty of words to intensify or add emphasis you can use instead, "virtually" probably being the most appropriate.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Apr 2021, 10:23 pm

I would use the word Serious/Seriously instead & South Park's Al Gore would say Cereal :arrow:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 2:13 pm

LINK: Thesaurus suggestions for the word 'literally' -
https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/literally

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 12:15 am

I continue to use the word "literally" the way it is meant to, and if people think it means anything else, it's not my fault.

:shrug:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 12:42 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I continue to use the word "literally" the way it is meant to, and if people think it means anything else, it's not my fault.

:shrug:

+1

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2021, 10:45 am

Perhaps this will be of interest. Note definition #4 from Webster's college dictionary:

lit•er•al•ly (ˈlɪt ər ə li)

adv.
1. in the literal or strict sense: What does the word mean literally?
2. in a literal manner; word for word: to translate literally.
3. actually: The city was literally destroyed.
4. in effect; in substance; virtually.
[1525–35]
usage: Since the early 20th century, literally has been widely used as an intensifier meaning “in effect, virtually”: The senator was literally buried alive in the June primaries. This use, common in many styles of speech and writing, is often criticized for being the opposite of the original meaning of literal.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 3:46 pm

Using the word 'literally' is acceptable most of the time.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 11:39 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Sometimes the reverse meaning becomes the dominant one. Originally to condescend to someone didn't carry the negative connotations it does now...

"Decimate" actually means "to reduce by 1/10th".
A "wench" is a maiden, or virgin.
"Electrocution" means death.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 5:02 am

OutsideView wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

All good :thumleft:

Now that I revisit this thread...I dont know why I apologized. I had nothing to apologize for.
It was the OPs fault for not making the topic clear.

Part of the problem is that the word literally refers it itself ...so talking about it as a word is confusing if you dont do it right.

What the OP was TRYING to say (unless I still have it wrong) was:

Some folks are now saying that you cannot use the word 'literally' anymore even if you use it correctly (to mean what it actually means). The reason being that even if you use it correctly readers will THINK that you're using it incorrectly. So some say that "literally" is just too confusing to use at all. So just dont use it all - dont even use it correctly.

Or to put it another way:So many folks use literally figuratively that readers will always think that you are using it figuratively so ...lets all just stop using literally at all (figuratively or literally).

Okay...THAT is what the OP was asking.

My response is: No. Lets keep on using "literally", but only use it "literally".

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Aug 2021, 11:38 am

If you say Literally as a figure of speech too much instead of literally meaning it, you risk Literally Liza showing up :lol: :arrow:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 11:55 am

OutsideView wrote:
What Word Would You Use Instead Of "Literally"?
"Virtually" when making an analogy: "I was so scared, I virtually ran like a rabbit."

"Practically" when describing something nearly absolute: "The fire burned down practically the whole house."

"Literally" when describing something in exact terms: "My heart was literal pumping at 110 beats per minute."[/color]

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.