Do you think computers are destroying the world?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Housedays
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2014, 11:47 am

What do you think?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 11:54 am

No I do not, the internet allows for information to get out very quickly to a large number of people.....and allows for people in different countries to interact with each other simply by going to online. In a sense it helps people become more connected with each other and if something atrocious happens and is caught on video like a cop shooting someones pet dog when it's not a threat then virtually the whole world finds out about it.....so basically people can be more informed about things going on in the world, and also talk to people experiencing it. For instance people curious about cannabis legalization can talk to people from colorado or washington and ask about what is going on in these states....or easily look up articles.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 12:23 pm

No, people are destroying the world.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 12:43 pm

^ This.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 1:50 pm

Assessing the internet from a democratic/ libertarian standpoint:

On the plus side, internet makes it difficult for the rich to monopolise the media, puts media creation and influence into the hands of the masses, and it allows anyone with the time and inclination to educate themselves thoroughly on any subject.

On the negative side, it enables total surveillance of anyone who uses it (without encryption), and given the fact that most social and business interactions are recorded online these days, that's a lot of surveillance. The data can potentially be used for blackmail, and crushing dissent. And, as online commodification, and authoritarianism spreads, the plusses progressively become inverted.

Last edited by Stannis on 20 Apr 2014, 7:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 2:09 pm

Absolutely not.

We should be GLAD computers are here. Otherwise we wouldn't get instant weather reports, and we wouldn't be able to watch happy videos on demand. :wink: And screen time is a fine way to spend an afternoon, or a whole day. :wink: :D

I can't imagine living in a time before the 1990s. :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 4:28 pm

I think computers are improving the world instead of destroying it. More people are able to connect than ever before. There are also web communities for people with all kinds of disabilities and disorders. There wasn't much of that until the 21st Century. I also think it's great that we're all interacting with each other now, because computers and the Internet came to be over the past 60 years. Granted, the first computers would fill half a large room until the Mid 70s to the Early 80s. I feel that computers are good for the world.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 4:30 pm

No, I don't think they are.

I like computers, I didn't used to like them but I have come to realising that a computer can actually make someones life much easier and open up new worlds of opportunity.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 6:05 pm

They are good to a point, laptops and pc's are fine. But having a computer in every thing you buy is an outrage. Cars cannot be fixed by the home mechanic. A toaster with a touch screen? :roll:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Apr 2014, 6:14 pm

I think they benefit the world for the most part however they use power & large amount of electricity is produced with non green energy & lots of computers do not get disposed of properly so computers in a sense are indirectly damaging the environment. Computers are also used in military operations but I think about the only way a computer would destroy the world is if it launches the nukes.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 7:11 am

nah. least not until they take over using machines

sueinphilly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2014, 7:58 am

Computers are AMAZING

They are as good as or as bad as the PEOPLE who make them work and use/abuse them

I watched NASA TV this morning. Watched the Space X dragon latch on to the International Space Station

I watched this LIVE in my living room while the ISS travels at 17K mph ~250 miles above the earth

Yeah, computers are NOT the problem. It's the HUMANs we need to be concerned about

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 9:13 am

Computers have both their bad side and good side.

The good side of them is that information can spread quickly and they can enable you to do things that you couldn't do previously in some cases.

The bad side is that people get too dependent on them for socializing and don't seem to know how to think OR do things without a computer.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 10:46 am

TallyMan wrote:
No, people are destroying the world.

Indeed.

Guns don't kill people.

Jetso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2021, 1:16 pm

No, computers are not destroying the world.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 1:23 pm

Computers do not destroy worlds.

People with computers destroy worlds.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.