Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 7:46 am

I used to sleepwalk years ago and apparently it’s started up again. I’m worried I’d end up walking out or jump out of a window someday

Has anyone else slept-walk?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 8:31 am

when i was like ten and 12 I went through a sleep walking phase. Mom and Dad would report seeing me walking in the halls and of having four word conversations with me. I had two beds in my room(from a dismantled bunkbed). One time I went to sleep in one bed, and woke up the next am in the other. But havent done sleepwalking since then AFAIK .

I am rather certain that sleep walkers dont jump out of windows. Switching to another bed in your room is about the limit of your athletic prowess while asleep. Except for the obese ...who often raid refrigerators, and eat cheesecake, in their sleep(because they are on strict diets while awake).

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 12:25 pm

Although it is EXTREMLY rare for something bad to happen when sleep walking, my dad is a sleep doctor and he's had patients who have gotten into some near dangerous situations, like walking up in their car about to put their keys in the ignition to start driving.

Again, it's really rare for something bad to happen, but if you're really worried you might try putting complex locks on your window or door that would be hard to open when asleep. You could also rig them with an alarm that would go off if opened that would wake you up.

Also it's not just obese people who end up eating in their sleep. People of all sizes do it although it does tend to be carb like things from what I've heard. My sister in law's mom would sometimes eat from a box of cake or brownie mix while asleep.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 11:24 am

Thank you for the replies.

A couple of nights ago apparently i was scrubbing, once i put things in the bathroom sink apparently from the bathroom shelves.

I tend to wonder lol.

Last night apparently it didn't happen but i get spells of it.

Wow! good job they were saved those patients. It's boggling what the mind does when one is supposed to be resting

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 1:42 pm

Are you taking any type of sedative? Sometimes sedatives can cause sleepwalking effects. When I took mine in the past I felt like I was OK, and logical, and rational. I went to get a snack and do a few things before bed. In the morning I realised I'd see the dishes and have no memory of eating, or I'd see posts and PM I'd written online with no memory of the content. (Um, sorry to anyone I messaged late at night last summer in particular 8O ). This still happens for me, but I'm aware of it so I make sure that I log off and stop talking to people as soon as I take my sedative. I go straight to bed. I don't see evidence of any more amnesia since I've done this.

My daughter sleepwalked (slept-walked?) once when she was about eight. She came to me drawing a square in the air with her fingers, trying to indicate she wanted a different pillow. She was totally asleep and doesn't remember it.

Sleepwalking can be dangerous as you well know, so please make sure your keys and things are hidden and your house is secure when you go to bed!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 1:48 pm

Sleepwalked would be the correct past tense. Sleptwalked is used rarely, but is also correct.

I sleepwalked a few times between the ages of about 5 and 7.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 2:11 pm

I suppose that its nothing to worry about if its children doing it. Kind of a normal phase to go through. But if you're grown up, and you're doing ...maybe its something to worry about.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Apr 2021, 3:56 am

I've had a couple eps of sleepwalking in the past & I've had various other sleep related type things as well. Isabella is rite that sedatives like Ambien/Zolpidem can sometimes cause sleepwalking. However there are also some sedating meds that are sometimes used to treat sleepwalking like the antidepressant Trazodone(it's used for sleep issues more than depression nowadays) & the benzodiazepine Klonopin/Clonazepam. Some other meds can cause sleepwalking as well like allergy meds. Sleepwalking that is med related is more likely to start after a med change like starting or stopping a med or increasing or decreasing the dose of something. If your on any meds it might be worth mentioning sleepwalking to your doc or psych. Your mental health can also affect sleepwalking & other sleep things as well. naturalplastic may be rite that sleepwalking is usually not dangerous but there is a sleep disorder that may resemble sleepwalking to some & that disorder may be more potentially dangerous. It is called REM Sleep Behavior Disorder which can cause you to act out your dreams. Some people jump & run out of bed cuz they were dreaming they were running or playing football or something. Some people hurt themselves jumping out of bed or they may fall down the stairs if their bedroom is upstairs. They also may talk in their sleep or thrash about in their sleep which can be potentially dangerous for their bed partner. There's a chance I may have REM Sleep Behavior Disorder. I do thrash about in my sleep sometimes & talk/mumble & jerk in my sleep sometimes too. There's a chance I may have Sleep Apnea as well. I should get a sleep study but I've been putting it off cuz of Covid. I've had other sleep things in the past as well including Sleep Paralysis & Night Terrors. Those were acting up when I was single & lonely & hated sleeping alone.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 7:18 am

I've never been a sleepwalker, but my oldest daughter was for awhile there when she was young. I second the locks and alarm suggestion. I tried arranging things by doors/windows that when moved would cause a sound that would hopefully wake my daughter and myself up... plastic hangers on a string in front of windows, a broom leaning against a door, a mop in front of the other, things like that. But I don't know if they worked... my daughter never did try to get out of a door or window, so they never got 'used'. I'd also suggest unplugging the stove at night or anything else that shouldn't be going unattended, hiding smaller items that could cause harm should they be used... things you can't just lock in a drawer.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 8:19 am

Thank you all for your response, sounds like it’s more common in children.

I’m not on any sedatives and it’s something that’s always happened to me on and off. Even as a kid or adolescent. Thank you for the information though maybe it’s a sleep disorder I have? Didn’t realise that some meds prevent or induce it

That’s a good idea on arranging things near the door and windows to gently awaken yourself and your daughter . Same goes with switching off things at the mains or the stove or locking away keys great tips

You can’t startle someone that’s sleepwalking or awake them as it can be a nasty shock but to guide them back to there room helps too.

I didn’t sleep walk last night but I did dream of wiping the banister with anti bacterial wipes as well as door handles lol.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2021, 9:24 pm

Have you managed to overcome sleep walking, sorrowfairiewhisper?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2021, 9:52 pm

I've always been scared I might start sleep walking. I don't really understand how people sleep walk, as in my experience you have to be relaxed to be able to sleep, and walking uses a lot of energy and muscles. Also how come sleep walkers don't bump into walls?

I remember years ago I used to wake up in the night absolutely convinced that there was a huge spider near me, and I'd automatically run out of bed and switch on the light to investigate, and it took a few moments for reality to hit where I realised that there was no spider in the first place. Or I'd wake up in the night thinking something on my shelf was going to fall down and wake everybody up, so I found myself getting up and taking some books off my shelf, then after a few seconds I'd realise what I'm doing and be a little weirded out, then get back into bed.
Thankfully this all stopped for some reason as soon as I started taking Sertraline.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 9:27 am

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 10:41 am

Sorry for the delayed replies, I don’t always get notifications. I think I still do it sometimes yes. Luckily I’m always in bed when I’m awake and I haven’t escaped

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 11:19 am

Do you have insomnia sometimes?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 10:15 pm

I've done sleep-sweeping and sleep-loading clothing in the washer.
At least my nighttime wanderings are productive.
I have been on Stillnox, the notorious sleepwalking drug.