Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 6:49 am

My EQ score according to a quiz, was 10/80. This explains a lot of arguments I’ve had with my gf, and is also something I already knew about myself. I’ve learned canned phrases to say when she is upset, after 6 years, and it has helped.

I’m curious to see what others EQ score is. I’ve heard some people on the spectrum can be quite emotional, but not read others emotions well. I am not very emotional, and don’t read others emotions well.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 4:19 pm

According to this one, I got 28 EQ and 29 SQ, which they say is low for both. Significantly affected by the fact that my external displays (or lack thereof) often do not reflect my internal thoughts, feelings, etc. I have a lot of empathy but not a lot of social knowledge, and almost always err on the side of caution in social situations, often saying nothing for fear of saying the wrong thing, so I don’t usually upset people, but that doesn’t mean I actually understand or accurately predict their thoughts, actions, etc. But I get low on SQ too because I’m very bad with numbers, directions, and technology.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 4:23 pm

Mine is usually about 13 on that quiz. I'm a very emotional person and I can usually pick up people's energy. I have sympathy / cognitive empathy for people and I'll pretty much throw myself on a sword for friends. I guess I'm lacking that intuitive piece, or the expressive part, because of my mutism and alexithymia.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 6:26 pm

Quote:
Your Empathizing Quotient is 18. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have a lower than average ability for understanding how other people feel and responding appropriately".

Your Systemizing Quotient is 47. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have an average ability for analysing and exploring a system".

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 10:24 am

Cognitive empathy = you recognise a person's feelings about something but can't or won't care or understand how they're feeling

Emotional empathy = you respect a person's feelings and you care about or understand how they're feeling

Bullies and psychopaths and other toxic types of people only have cognitive empathy. Most people have both but can be "spiky" with emotional empathy. People on the spectrum can have difficulties with cognitive empathy but usually have good emotional empathy, sometimes more than the average NT. But this can be difficult to express or "use" if you miss cognitive empathy, which can mislead people into thinking that autistics have no emotional empathy at all.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 10:43 am

I must have misunderstood cognitive empathy, then.

I can and will care / understand how a person is feeling. I feel it very deeply, and spend more time worrying about other people's feelings than my own.

My difference is that I can't infer a person's feelings just by looking at them, or guessing, unless it's an extreme and very obvious situation. I'm terrible at reading non-verbal body language or facial expressions if they aren't really pronounced, or if the person is hiding their feelings.

If someone tells me how they feel in their own words, then I can relate and experience the strong empathy described above. If they don't tell me in words, I can only guess. I will still care and feel empathy based on my interpretation of the event, but perhaps I've read the emotion incorrectly or made wrong assumptions about how the person feels. I know that I shouldn't assume the person feels the way that I would feel, so I try not to project myself onto their circumstance.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 12:32 pm

Your Empathizing Quotient is 14. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have a lower than average ability for understanding how other people feel and responding appropriately".

Your Systemizing Quotient is 13. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have a lower than average ability for analysing and exploring a system"

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 1:47 pm

Score
Test taken by you on 13 June 2021 Result 24.0

The average score for males with ASD (625 people took this test) 80.7
The average score for females with ASD (985 people took this test) 77.2
The average score for males with suspected ASD (4579 people took this test) 80.5
The average score for females with suspected ASD (11211 people took this test) 74.8
The average score for male neurotypicals (1923 people took this test) 70.2
The average score for female neurotypicals (2903 people took this test) 62.7

I got 24.0 on a SQ test I took, which is way below the average for both Aspie and neurotypical females. I don't know what that means. :scratch:

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 1:54 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Score

The average score for males with suspected ASD (4579 people took this test) 80.5
The average score for females with suspected ASD (11211 people took this test) 74.8

I got 24.0 on a SQ test I took, which is way below the average for both Aspie and neurotypical females. I don't know what that means. :scratch:

Good question. By looking at those averages it looks like there isn't that much of a difference between aspies and neurotypicals anyway.

Also whatever differences there are, they seem just the opposite to what one would expect. So it says that males have more empathy than females and people with ASD have more empathy than neurotypicals? I would have expected the exact opposite on both accounts.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 2:16 pm

QFT wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Score

Good question. By looking at those averages it looks like there isn't that much of a difference between aspies and neurotypicals anyway.

Also whatever differences there are, they seem just the opposite to what one would expect. So it says that males have more empathy than females and people with ASD have more empathy than neurotypicals? I would have expected the exact opposite on both accounts.

I think this test was a test on how logical you are.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 2:20 pm

Joe90 wrote:
QFT wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Score

I think this test was a test on how logical you are.

Yeah. A totally different test. Were talking about "EQ". Emotional intelligence. AKA your "empathy quotient".

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 3:57 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I must have misunderstood cognitive empathy, then.

I can and will care / understand how a person is feeling. I feel it very deeply, and spend more time worrying about other people's feelings than my own.

My difference is that I can't infer a person's feelings just by looking at them, or guessing, unless it's an extreme and very obvious situation. I'm terrible at reading non-verbal body language or facial expressions if they aren't really pronounced, or if the person is hiding their feelings.

If someone tells me how they feel in their own words, then I can relate and experience the strong empathy described above. If they don't tell me in words, I can only guess. I will still care and feel empathy based on my interpretation of the event, but perhaps I've read the emotion incorrectly or made wrong assumptions about how the person feels. I know that I shouldn't assume the person feels the way that I would feel, so I try not to project myself onto their circumstance.

I personally think it is crazy to have to figure out how someone is feeling when they can just tell you. We should not be in the minority, NT’s should tell people how they are feeling if they want them to know, if they don’t, they shouldn’t expect comfort. I know sometimes it is hard to put your feelings into words, but if you can’t how am I supposed to know how you are feeling?

I can usually tell emotions if someone gives me context clues to how they are feeling. If someone who is usually very talkative is quiet, I know something may be wrong if I’ve known them a long time. Instances like that. Other’s emotions are typically are hard for me to gauge and I think that’s okay. If they come to me with problems I will try and give advice, otherwise I am not good at guessing, or telepathic.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 4:05 pm

Quote:
Yeah. A totally different test. Were talking about "EQ". Emotional intelligence. AKA your "empathy quotient".

Some people in this thread have posted results of their Systemizing Quotient. My EQ is in my signature, which is higher than average for an Aspie.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 4:12 pm

I wouldn’t rely on those tests in assessing myself as a person.

I don’t make assumptions about a person’s EQ when I see it posted.

I assess a person based upon a person’s actual words, actions, or reactions — not on a numerical score.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 4:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wouldn’t rely on those tests in assessing myself as a person.

I don’t make assumptions about a person’s EQ when I see it posted.

I assess a person based upon a person’s actual words, actions, or reactions — not on a numerical score.

Good idea. Not many things can be truly assessed by a series of questions.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 4:36 pm

Quote:
Your Empathizing Quotient is 26. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have a lower than average ability for understanding how other people feel and responding appropriately".

Your Systemizing Quotient is 53. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have an above average ability for analysing and exploring a system".