What's the significance of the number 12 ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 10:15 am

I don't always believe in conspiracies but I thought it was rather strange when I realised that lots of things were in groups of 12 such as 12 zodiac signs, 12 disciples of Jesus, 12 Greek gods, 12 numbers of the clock etc. I remember seeing these documentaries about theories and conspiracies surrounding aliens being behind the building of ancient structures and things such as the pyramids of Egypt, the walls of Troy and the Nazca lines and art works in ancient Mayan and aboriginal civilisations of beings that looked alien-like and that somehow there were 12 aliens behind it all much like when I saw Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. Even now today, there a committees made up of 12 people or 12 people in a ruling party. It sounds rather absurd and I'm thinking it is and that there maybe is nothing strange about it all, its just a number and it has just maybe by accident or co-incidentally been passed down and used by people around the world through the ages.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 10:22 am

chris1989 wrote:
I don't always believe in conspiracies but I thought it was rather strange when I realised that lots of things were in groups of 12 such as 12 zodiac signs, 12 disciples of Jesus, 12 Greek gods, 12 numbers of the clock etc. I remember seeing these documentaries about theories and conspiracies surrounding aliens being behind the building of ancient structures and things such as the pyramids of Egypt, the walls of Troy and the Nazca lines and art works in ancient Mayan and aboriginal civilisations of beings that looked alien-like and that somehow there were 12 aliens behind it all much like when I saw Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. Even now today, there a committees made up of 12 people or 12 people in a ruling party. It sounds rather absurd and I'm thinking it is and that there maybe is nothing strange about it all, its just a number and it has just maybe by accident or co-incidentally been passed down and used by people around the world through the ages.
There is no other significance to numerology than what humans imagine.

• There are actually 13 "signs" in the zodiac.
• There were 12 male disciples of Jesus, although some females were also mentioned by name.
• There were at least 13 Greek Gods, including Hades.
• There are actually 24 hours in a day, and many clocks (especially military clocks) reflect this.

I think you are a victim of confirmation bias, in that once you have seen one pattern, you now see it everywhere.

By the way, conspiracy theories and Hollywood movies are not reliable sources of data.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 10:24 am

Maybe I have fallen victim to confirmation bias.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 11:16 am

12 inches to a foot. Two feet = 24 inches so 24 hours in a day would need two feet to stand on or the clock would fall over... Or one big foot... So Bigfoot does exist. Uhmmm.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 11:35 am

very simple. Twelve has many factors.

Youve got five fingers on each hand. Ya got two hands. So primitive people tend to count on their fingers.

That causes a temptation to base your number system on five, or on ten.

One problem. Ten is ONLY divisible by five, and by two.

But notch your base up to twelve, and ... you got an amazing number that can be divided by two, three, four, and by six. Very convenient for dividing stuff up.

Thats why there are 24 hours in a day. That way the day naturally splits up into three: eight hours for work, eight hours for sleep, and eight hours off.

If it were say, 25 hours, then you you have to sleep 8. 333333 hours, etc. Who needs THAT s**t?

No conspiracies. Just basic arithmetic. Arithmetic that turns into a tradition of numerical memes that survived the millenia in western Eurasian civilizations.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 3:21 pm

One dozen donuts.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 3:34 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
very simple. Twelve has many factors.

Youve got five fingers on each hand. Ya got two hands. So primitive people tend to count on their fingers.

That causes a temptation to base your number system on five, or on ten.

One problem. Ten is ONLY divisible by five, and by two.

But notch your base up to twelve, and ... you got an amazing number that can be divided by two, three, four, and by six. Very convenient for dividing stuff up.

Thats why there are 24 hours in a day. That way the day naturally splits up into three: eight hours for work, eight hours for sleep, and eight hours off.

If it were say, 25 hours, then you you have to sleep 8. 333333 hours, etc. Who needs THAT s**t?

No conspiracies. Just basic arithmetic. Arithmetic that turns into a tradition of numerical memes that survived the millenia in western Eurasian civilizations.

Thank you. I grew up learning decimals, metres, kilometres,100 pence in a pound etc. So found 12s of non-metric very difficult to get my head round. That makes more sense to me now.

Last edited by hurtloam on 01 Jul 2021, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 3:36 pm

If the standard clock was base-10, the day would run from 00:00.000 to 10:00.000, with each hour being made up of 100 "Centons" (Hail Galactica!).

Each centon would be 86.4 of our seconds long, and would be analogous to our current "minute".  Each centon would also be 10 decicentons, or 100 centicentons, or 1000 millicentons.

There would be no time zones.  The Prime Meridian would pass through the most prominent natural land feature (usually a mountain), and would be directly under the sun at 05:00.000 exactly (Mid-day).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2021, 3:43 pm

There's roughly 12 lunar cycles per year. It's one of those easily observed things that we've been aware of basically for as long as we've been keeping track of time.

Base-12 number systems were common historically, including the Germanic peoples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duodecimal

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う