Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 10:03 am

Is anyone here interested in rock climbing? The sport has recently made it into my rotation of special interests, and I have watched a large number of Youtube videos on Alex Honnald/Tommy Caldwell and have started rock climbing at my local climbing gym. I like exercising, but I was never good at team sports. Rock climbing is perfect because it is a solo sport, and sport climbing you'd only need 1 additional person to belay you.

Some of my other special interests that rotate are:

Chess
The Muppets
The band Joywave (and other alternative/rock artists)
Neuroscience
Computers
Chimpanzees
Nutrition

By rotate I mean I often become hype fixated on one interest and then don't care much about it because another takes its place. The same interests always come back full circle.

Is anyone else interested in any of these things?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 10:32 am

I'm interested in chimpanzees and other great apes. What do you find interesting about chimps?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 10:36 am

I have once tried rock climbing and absailing. I don't like heights so...

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 6:17 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I'm interested in chimpanzees and other great apes. What do you find interesting about chimps?

I like Chimpanzees and other primates because of their goofy nature, and intelligence. They are a lot like humans in the way that they bond with their family/friends, and reject others. They have alpha males/females, and a hierarchy that intrigues me. They use tools and adapt to surroundings unlike other animals, and a lot like humans. I've loved Chimpanzees since I was a child.

Have you seen Meet The Chimps on Disney+?

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 6:21 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I have once tried rock climbing and absailing. I don't like heights so...

But you're a mountain goat, they're the best rock climbers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 6:44 pm

Errr. Yes. Haha!

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 12:18 am

Brainiac42 wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

I like Chimpanzees and other primates because of their goofy nature, and intelligence. They are a lot like humans in the way that they bond with their family/friends, and reject others. They have alpha males/females, and a hierarchy that intrigues me. They use tools and adapt to surroundings unlike other animals, and a lot like humans. I've loved Chimpanzees since I was a child.

Have you seen Meet The Chimps on Disney+?

I've found chimps and other primates interesting since I was a kid, too. I agree that the way they socialize can be very similar to humans. I also find it cool that infants of other great apes behave a lot like and develop in a similar way to human infants.

I think I've seen that before. Are there any other specific primates/great apes that you like?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 12:28 am

I'm into Jim Henson and the Muppets. I'm friends with a young lady who teaches indoor rock climbing, but I've never tried it indoors or out. Mountain biking in the Rockies is as close as I've come to rock climbing! It was more like rock falling! I also have an interest in Neuroscience.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jun 2021, 4:40 am

I'm into climbing myself but I'm waiting for having full immunity before going back to the gym.
Rock climbing is a good sport for introverts - there's just you and your project, no big teams, no cheering crowds, not even much of competition as every top climber chooses their own path and you can't really compare e.g. Honnold to Ondra - both do things the other couldn't :)

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 8:58 pm

magz wrote:
I'm into climbing myself but I'm waiting for having full immunity before going back to the gym.
Rock climbing is a good sport for introverts - there's just you and your project, no big teams, no cheering crowds, not even much of competition as every top climber chooses their own path and you can't really compare e.g. Honnold to Ondra - both do things the other couldn't :)

Alex Honnald is awesome. I relate to him a lot personality wise, and I loved Free Solo. Adam Ondra is also an incredible climber. Watching him climb is captivating, the way he grabs on to the tiniest holds and exerts maximum effort with ever one. Climbing is awesome.