Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Jul 2021, 3:45 pm

I read something recently that fans help cool the body off when the air is fairly humid but they actually have the opposite effect & warm the body up when it is a very dry heat. It has something to do with the body's sweat process. The fan may feel cooler than no fan in dry heat but they are causing the body's sweat process to work even harder which is more likely to lead to heat exhaustion & heat stroke. Things are different & fans can be quite helpful if they are being used to help circulate cooler air in dry heat like if they are near a window AC unit or near a window when there is cold air outside. But just sitting in front of a fan with no source of cool air around when the air is dry could make things worse.

Misslizard wrote:
Also use light colors if you paint the exterior.
I remember YEARS ago that a governor of some state who I think was republican was recommending that people paint their roofs white to reduce global warming. He was putting a plan in place where homeowners in the state would get a free bucket of white paint. My parents had their roof replaced a couple years ago & they decided to get a metal one put on cuz those are more durable(should last the rest of their life with almost no repair work needed) & would help reduce the inside heat. My dad said the attic was cooler than it normally woulda been before the roof change. Replacing the roof with a metal one would be a long-term investment for people who were already wanting to get there's replaced but I would guess that just paining one white instead might help reduce the inside heat a tiny bit.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition