Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Jib
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2021, 8:20 pm

Are there any fellow teetotalers on here?

Believe it or not, but I've been dry for 50 months now! Abstaining from drinking has not been easy, but I'm glad I did it. I do miss it a lot, though! I miss drowning my troubles and forgetting about my problems. :(

But I remind myself that I need to keep this commitment going as an act of maturity and willpower. I still go to bars (at least before the pandemic) to socialize, but I only drink carbonated water. 8)

Jib's Medium

beady
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 9:39 pm

Not sure if I actually qualify as an official "teetotaler" but I haven't had any alcohol in about 3-4 years, kinda lost track. I lost my ability to process it and it gives me an instantaneous hangover of epic proportions.
I used to drink in college, but got married and had a baby shortly after that so drank very little for years and years (2-3 drinks a couple times a month) till all three of my kids were grown.
Once my kids were all in college and then off on their own, I was ready to enjoy myself. However, never drank more than maybe 4-5 glasses of wine a week. That only lasted for 3 years or so and then all of the sudden I started getting super sick super fast. Tried lowest sulfates organic wines etc but nothing worked.
I miss a nice glass of wine :(.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 4:57 am

I haven't had a drink in 22 years, 3 months, and 4 days. Not that I'm counting. :lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 10:12 am

I am 100% teetotal. I've never been drunk in my life, and it's very rare that I have even a sip of alcohol. I feel like a one and only.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

11 Aug 2021, 10:34 am

Joe90 wrote:
I am 100% teetotal. I've never been drunk in my life, and it's very rare that I have even a sip of alcohol. I feel like a one and only.

Completely similar. I took a medecine thats an extract in some alcohol recently, it was to up my flavonoids levels, aka vitamin P, or rutin, which doesnt happen to be in my vitamin supplement since its not really a vitamin. It just so happens that Raspberry extract, and particularly the leaf contains a high amount of all flavonoids. But all extracts i can find happen to be 5% ultimately on calculus, and this is referred as the homeopathic dosage, so a lot f questions started in my mind if this dosage is strong enough to actually replenish my rutin or is this dosage just used as a homeopathic placebo. Further reading, much of it isnt getting absorbed, and rutin is the most absorbable of the flavonoids, so i switched to a pharmacy supplement that contains rutin and vitamin c, since C helps it absorb and rutin helps C absorb and together they boost immunity, but rutin is also what i actually need for my veins. I just hope they didnt just stack together dry plants in the med because that certainly isnt effective, less effective than an actual chemical or the plant extract. The thing is, I was hoping raspberry would help my womanly issues too, and my cysts.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 12:21 pm

Technically, I'm.

But not like I'm trying. :lol: Because I never truly acquired the taste of alcohol yet.

.. Nor it mattered. Sober or not, I'm functionally worse than drunk anyway.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 2:06 pm

I haven't drank or smoked in years now, drinking was giving me some weird depression where I would go out on a weekend with friends and go to lots of different pubs etc but then for the entire week after I was like mega depressed to the point I struggled eating or getting out of bed so I stopped drinking completely and haven't felt the need to touch it since.

I think drinking/drugs just isn't good for some people. I much prefer going on these group hikes with a club I joined instead now, there's this thing we have in the UK called Ramblers which is a walking association and I have met some of the best people ever through it way more than going to a club or pub.

I try to avoid paracetamol and pretty much everything if I can as well because I don't want to become reliant on the stuff and it works better when you don't use it much.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 5:27 pm

I havent touched alcohol since i found out i was pregnant with my now 16y/o son

before then i was an alcoholic

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 5:44 pm

I don't drink much. I might buy a sixpack of beer once or twice a year.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Aug 2021, 2:49 am

I was straight-edge for like 8 years after my 1st relationship fell apart when I was 20. She had problems with drugs & alcohol & I had BAD anxiety & BAD OCD worrying about her. It didn't help that she was 15 & I felt like a dad with her at times because of the age difference & her issues as well as her never having a dad. I became very unstable & controlling as a result & took things out on her which of corse made things worse for her & was a major factor for us breaking up. I fell into a psychotic depression around that time & shortly after we broke up she was bragging online about how she drank so much she ended up in the hospital. I flipped out & slashed my upper arm 9x & had to go to the ER. I spent the next 5 years seeing a psychiatrist & taking meds. I blamed the drugs & alcohol because I could NOT handle blaming myself anymore than I already was. Blaming myself more for screwing up things for her woulda made me commit suicide. Rebelling against drugs & alcohol was my poor desperate attempt of coping & protecting myself. As my depression gradually got better & I learned, grew, & matured, I started to realize what the real problems were. I do drink occasionally these days but I never been drunk or gotten myself into any trouble. I mostly drink as a way to help relax & wind down though I also drink when I'm in social situations where I can drink for free which I'm practically never in.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 1:58 pm

I haven't drank alcohol in 23 years. I guess that makes me the ultimate teetotaler.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 3:56 pm

I don’t know if I really count since it isn’t a hard-and-fast rule for me and there isn’t really any restraint on my part. I haven’t found any kind of alcohol that doesn’t taste nasty to me and have never really had much of a desire to drink anyway. One time I might have had up to five sips, when my mom got a wine flight and I tried a few, and that’s the most alcohol I’ve ever had in one day.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 4:26 pm

One problem I've had in the past is that if I drank much, I would get to liking it too much and rapidly start drinking frequently and often to the point of being drunk. When I realized that many years ago, I forced myself to not drink any alcohol for quite a while and since then I only drink on occasion.

For example, last year I bought two six packs of beer -- one early in the year (I don't remember precisely when) and the other right before Thanksgiving. I never drank more than one beer a day when I bought that beer. In fact, of the beer I bought right before Thanksgiving, I didn't get to the last one until some time in late January or early February.

I bought some beer recently. So far, I've drank one of them and used the other in cooking.

I did something similar with oxycontin in the mid 1990s. When I had a wisdom tooth pulled (actually chipped out piece by piece -- it took quite a while), the dentist prescribed oxycontin and that really helped with the pain. There were ten pills in the bottle and when I finished them I refilled the prescription.

About half way through the second bottle, I realized that I was starting to like the oxycontin pills for themselves more than to relieve pain. So I flushed the remaining contents of the bottle down the crapper and never refilled them.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 3:37 am

No i am not a teetotaler.I do not have a problem with that philosophy or lifestyle per se....its just that its a offical rule in my social circle that you dont drink at all.So its a sticky subject.However I try to drink everyday.I drank more in my 20's but always in moderation.I drink red wine for the health benefits and i like a cold bud light on a hot summers day or when i am at a eatery.I dont drink for the mind altering effects.