What do you miss about the 1990's

Page 3 of 11 [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 1:05 am

The old Disney channel and the old Nickelodeon channels.

Toon Disney.

Nick game shows.

When oldie radio stations played 1950s and early 1960s music.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Jib
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2021, 6:10 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I never really was good at VCR-type things. I skipped totally to DVD's. It was a hassle to rent a VCR tape from a video store, rewind the tape, then bring it back to the video store. There was always something wrong with the tape, it seemed.

I had the opposite problem: never ever rented a bad VHS tape, but we've rented many DVDs that were too scratched up to play properly.

I hear where you're coming from. Whenever I rent DVDs or Blu-Rays from the library, there is always the risk of not working correctly. I never had to worry about performance when it came to VHS tapes.

lostonearth35 wrote:
I'm more nostalgic for the 80s than the 90s. Last night I watched a video about stuff from the 80s, and then I realized how much my parents spoiled me as a kid from all the classic Fisher-Price toys I had when I was a kid. :)

Okay, Gen Xer. :P

League_Girl wrote:

Toon Disney.

Nick game shows.

Do you mean there are no longer oldie radio stations that play 50s/60s tunes?

And I hear you regarding old Nickelodeon sucks now. A lot! There hasn't been any good to watch on that channel since the early 00s. I'm surprised they are even still on the air!

Jib's Medium

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 3:49 pm

I was born in the late 70s. What I liked about the 90s is the scary militant chaos of the 80s cold war ended. No more crazy jack wagon as President. No more Be All That You Can Be Army recruiting commercials on TV. The threat of a nuclear war seemed over. And with Clinton we had a component President who gave us peace and prosperity.

Jib
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Sep 2021, 7:00 pm

Axeman wrote:
I was born in the late 70s. What I liked about the 90s is the scary militant chaos of the 80s cold war ended. No more crazy jack wagon as President. No more Be All That You Can Be Army recruiting commercials on TV. The threat of a nuclear war seemed over. And with Clinton we had a component President who gave us peace and prosperity.

Amen to all of that! The 90s were a golden age of peace and prosperity, at least for most of the world.

All that changed with the 9/11 attacks, followed by the 2008 Great Recession, then Russia's invasion of Crimea in 2014, and then Covid-19 circulated beyond China's borders in 2020.

I'm not looking forward to the future. :( Hence why I reminisce the 90s! :D

Jib's Medium

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 7:25 pm

Jib wrote:
Axeman wrote:

Amen to all of that! The 90s were a golden age of peace and prosperity, at least for most of the world.

All that changed with the 9/11 attacks, followed by the 2008 Great Recession, then Russia's invasion of Crimea in 2014, and then Covid-19 circulated beyond China's borders in 2020.

Are you old enough to remember the Reagan Presidency?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 11:13 pm

Jib wrote:
And I hear you regarding old Nickelodeon sucks now. A lot! There hasn't been any good to watch on that channel since the early 00s. I'm surprised they are even still on the air!

I was surprised at how decent some of their Ninja Turtles stuff is.

...but they had like three different ones, and I can't remember which one was the good one.

I was never a big fan of the original 80s cartoon, though. I liked the movies a lot better (especially the first one).

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 2:42 am

I'm not sure if this counts...

My first 5 years of my life. I wanna remember them all. I want to understand it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Jib
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2021, 6:08 am

Axeman wrote:
Jib wrote:
Axeman wrote:

Are you old enough to remember the Reagan Presidency?

No, but I'm familiar with Cold War Era history. From what I read, times with Reagan were uneasy. Yet, he remained one of the more memorable presidents. In contrast, the general public quickly forgot Bill Clinton and George W. Bush as soon as they left office.

Jib's Medium

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 8:12 am

Things worked better for me physically.
Grunge and a lot of Alternative Rock in general. It combined the hard rock/metal of my teen years with the rawness and attitude of punk rock from my young adult years.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 6:44 pm

Jib wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I never really was good at VCR-type things. I skipped totally to DVD's. It was a hassle to rent a VCR tape from a video store, rewind the tape, then bring it back to the video store. There was always something wrong with the tape, it seemed.

I had the opposite problem: never ever rented a bad VHS tape, but we've rented many DVDs that were too scratched up to play properly.

I hear where you're coming from. Whenever I rent DVDs or Blu-Rays from the library, there is always the risk of not working correctly. I never had to worry about performance when it came to VHS tapes.

lostonearth35 wrote:
I'm more nostalgic for the 80s than the 90s. Last night I watched a video about stuff from the 80s, and then I realized how much my parents spoiled me as a kid from all the classic Fisher-Price toys I had when I was a kid. :)

League_Girl wrote:

Toon Disney.

Nick game shows.

The 80s was a fantastic era for toys, pop culture, and music. The 90s was a huge deflation by comparison.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 7:51 pm

When many TV shows were mainly targeted for grown-ups and children simultaneously rather than today's shows being targeted towards adults and shows being targeted towards children (and a lot of those new shows are pretty stupid! :roll: )

Video Games were you get some free stuff when you input cheats rather than pay actual money to buy DLCs.

Blockbuster (I wished they stayed in business if they made an app for a Roku, or something)

Pretty much everything was a lot senseful back then.

Now those days are gone. :(

OTOH, back then, I think there was a lack of understanding on autistic people at the time (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's one of the reasons why I had a bad childhood)

Jib
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2021, 7:59 pm

Axeman wrote:
Jib wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

lostonearth35 wrote:

League_Girl wrote:

Toon Disney.

Nick game shows.

The 80s was a fantastic era for toys, pop culture, and music. The 90s was a massive deflation by comparison.

I have to disagree. Sure, the 80s had many unique memorabilia, but the 90s also had its outstanding share of toys, pop culture, music, etc.

For example, the 80s were known to give rise to Transformers, now known as G1. Before the 80s, there had never been toys like them before. The 90s expanded and upon this concept by replacing the vehicle forms with animal ones. This new incarnation of TFs was known as Beast Wars, and this line practically perfected everything that made G1 great. Sure, it wasn't as popular as G1, but the toys of BW were better designed and more colorful. Plus, I love the animal characters that Hasbro concocted!

The 80s were known for its metal and synthpop, among other awesome music. The 90s gave us grunge (Nirvana), trip-hop, and a new era of house music. While I was too young to go clubbing, I can't help but get feels whenever I listen to 90s club music. Though, I will say that the 80s had MUCH more than just a Flock of Seagulls! :P (That was an Austin Powers joke!)

Pop culture is pretty subjective, but I enjoyed it quite fondly back in the day. There was a lot of fun to have with both 80s and 90s pop culture.

Plus, there was the fact that the 90s had peace (Cold War ended), prosperity (the economy was at its best in recent memory), and technology seemed promising (the 90s is probably best known for giving birth to the Internet).

The 80s and 90s were the twin decades of paradise!

The 00s were more like a HUGE deflation than anything else. The 10s served to continue that downward trend. The 20s, well, they are pretty self-explanatory.

Jib's Medium

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 8:13 pm

Jib wrote:
The 00s were more like a HUGE deflation than anything else. The 10s served to continue that downward trend. The 20s, well, they are pretty self-explanatory.

It's only 2021. No way to know for sure how this decade will pan out yet.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 8:28 pm

Thing I miss about the early 1990s is no mobile phones.

We were the last generation to sit next to a landline waiting for a phone call. We had to wait for the radio to play the latest music,

Watched TV with lots of funny advertisments, Get the news at 6.30pm rather than play video games or stare at brainless social media/internet all night.

Read books rather than listen to podcasts for information.

Old fashioned gatherings happened where people talked normally without pretending every 30 seconds to swipe on their phones looking for non-existent stimulation. Where people had real relationships. not asynchronous posts on forums or facetime with family.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 9:12 pm

From my perspective, there are plenty of things to like about the '90s and plenty of things to hate--and sometimes the very same thing is both a blessing and a curse.

What always amuses me about nostalgia threads or conversations like this is that inevitably someone talks about how much better-behaved people were, how kids these days are spoiled, how contemporary music is so much worse, and so on. At least one person hits those notes, or maybe several people do, but it doesn't EVER matter what era you're discussing! Hindsight very often wears rose-colored glasses. 8)

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 10:47 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
Blockbuster (I wished they stayed in business if they made an app for a Roku, or something)

They actually did make an app for Roku, but I don't think it lasted very long: