Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

misha00
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2021, 5:19 pm

how much money would it cost to create a spaceship with endless supplies of energy/food in 20 years time?

Is it possible that humanity could survive in space if earth became uninhabitable?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 7:48 pm

My guess would be many billions if not a trillion or more.I think we are still way too early for that.I think it take many test flights and stuff.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 7:50 pm

For an endless supply of energy and food, you will need to spend infinite amounts of money.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 7:53 pm

Fnord wrote:
For an endless supply of energy and food, you will need to spend infinite amounts of money.

Good point I guess thats where central banking comes in or endless amounts of crypto.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 7:54 pm

Fnord wrote:

Good point I guess thats where central banking comes in or endless amounts of crypto.Sorry i did not mean to make duplicate post my bad.

misha00
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2021, 7:58 pm

"for an endless supply of food/energy, you would need endless amount of $"

For FNord
Couldn't we raise massive amounts of capital on earth for this?

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 7:59 pm

misha00 wrote:
how much money would it cost to create a spaceship with endless supplies of energy/food in 20 years time?

Is it possible that humanity could survive in space if earth became uninhabitable?

No. Not for long term because of the radiation.

misha00
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2021, 8:01 pm

Axeman wrote:
misha00 wrote:

really the radiation couldn't be blocked by suits/ spacecraft?

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 8:02 pm

misha00 wrote:

It is more likely humanity could live on earth if earth became uninhabitable. The power required would be enormous though. [but probably not as enourmous as living on a spaceship]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_uploading

Last edited by The_Znof on 29 Nov 2021, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 8:10 pm

misha00 wrote:
Axeman wrote:
misha00 wrote:

Not well enough for a long term mission. The Apollo astronauts had problems just from their relatively short moon missions.

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep29901

misha00
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2021, 8:15 pm

Even while in the spacecraft?

I was thinking of no mission, just using it in space generally

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 8:20 pm

misha00 wrote:
Even while in the spacecraft?

I was thinking of no mission, just using it in space generally

They were in spacecraft for the majority of those trips. Just getting there took three days and they weren't on the lunar surface all day long.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 8:23 pm

Unless you have Star Trek technology space ships are not a viable Noah's Ark option.

misha00
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2021, 8:24 pm

what are the missing technology's for making an earthship?

I was thinking in the 2030-40s or later.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 8:38 pm

misha00 wrote:
Axeman wrote:
misha00 wrote:

Nope - a lot of the radiation in space is a LOT more intense than that. The ISS is only "safe" cos it's inside the earth's magnetosphere, which protects us. We have no shielding as of yet, other than maybe miles and miles of solid rock, that can withstand a lot of the solar radiation that comes from the sun. Jupiter's magnetosphere is so powerful, it cooks anything we've sent to go study it. It even cooks a few of it's moons. You could avoid most of it by going to the outer solar system, but you still have to get there, and you're just avoiding it, not shielded from it.

Spaceships are, at the best of times, fragile delicate intricate bubbles of life, that don't take much to make them un-livable. Finite air, food, water, possibly power. If they fall short, get lost, go bad, get damaged, etc, you can't exactly pull over to a space-rest-stop and call space-triple-A for a space-tow. Plants and air recyclers are great, so long as they function, and you have hull integrity. Hull punctures, debris strikes, things-going-wrong in general, even if you patch the hull, seal the leak, you've still potentially lost all your air or water, with no real way of getting it back.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 8:40 pm

misha00 wrote:
what are the missing technology's for making an earthship?

I was thinking in the 2030-40s or later.

cold fusion would get us a lot closer. If they pull off mind uploading I think somehting like cold fusion would be needed to keep it going in any capacity.

Last edited by The_Znof on 29 Nov 2021, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.