Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2021, 9:30 am

This is a very informative and useful thread.....dealing with the stupid inhibitions taught to me
by my mother . Where all mushrooms in the wild , were taught to me that they have a high chance of being poisonous . So was taught to fear mushrooms .But in more recent years have learned with the help of a biology professor (RIP) Whom like to talk about the relationships of
things in the forest floor and their relationship to each other. In the larger microbiome. Hard to believe that finally this information came to me. Later in life . :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 7:56 am

Jakki wrote:
This is a very informative and useful thread.....dealing with the stupid inhibitions taught to me
by my mother . Where all mushrooms in the wild , were taught to me that they have a high chance of being poisonous . So was taught to fear mushrooms .But in more recent years have learned with the help of a biology professor (RIP) Whom like to talk about the relationships of
things in the forest floor and their relationship to each other. In the larger microbiome. Hard to believe that finally this information came to me. Later in life . :D

I'm so glad that you are overcoming your mycophobia. It is quite common, but it seems to be changing due to the growing popularity of foraging. I only wish I had the same hope for people overcoming their entomophobia and ophidiophobia!

On a related note: I think only 1-3% of KNOWN fungi are outright poisonous. I'm not encouraging anyone to go out and start picking fungi to consume here :) There are many that aren't really fit for consumption (in terms of flavor and texture) as well.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 11:59 am

I like to forage for the edible ones I know.Morel, oyster, coral and chicken of the woods.
The others are beautiful but I don’t touch.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 12:27 pm

I wouldn't call myself a mycologist - I've never gone full obsessive about fungi but I've been fascinated by them for years. I like to photograph them if I see them on my walks and identify them from my books. I used to take spore prints too.

I will forage for the ones I know are safe and tasty like morels, horse mushroom, field mushroom, giant puffballs and parasols.

I've cultivated psilocybe cubensis for...um...research purposes. And I used to buy sacks of pre-colonised compost for growing chestnut mushrooms for cooking but I can't get them any more.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 12:53 pm

^ Parasols are close to Amanitas. I’ve never been willing to try them. So beautiful. Often in Fairy Rings.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 2:05 pm

blazingstar wrote:
^ Parasols are close to Amanitas. I’ve never been willing to try them. So beautiful. Often in Fairy Rings.

Yes, but they get bigger than any Amanita that I'm aware of so I always feel pretty confident about eating them. And they're delicious. I've seen them with 25-30cm diameter caps - when you get a cluster of them it looks really sculptural, like a sci fi city or something.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 7:10 pm

Agreed. They also don’t have the volva, but that can be lost or misleading.

You are braver than I. :D

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 8:01 am

Not an expert by any means but I do think fungi should be appreciated more.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 9:49 am

Some many different ones .And so many different characteristics…… that have beneficial effects on health.
Am just trying to get my own mind wrapped around all of these things. :D

where ever you go ,there you are

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 12:13 pm

Some from my walk today - if anyone wants to disagree with my identifications please do, I'm not great on polypores...

Hairy Curtain Crust (Stereum hirsutum)

Not sure, but I think it's Turkeytail fungus (Trametes versicolor)

The jet black of this one threw me for a while but I think it's just Hoof Fungus (Fomes fomentarius) looking darker than normal because it's been pretty wet.

Stump puffball (Lycoperdon pyriforme)

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 12:32 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
Some from my walk today - if anyone wants to disagree with my identifications please do, I'm not great on polypores...

Hairy Curtain Crust (Stereum hirsutum)

Not sure, but I think it's Turkeytail fungus (Trametes versicolor)

The jet black of this one threw me for a while but I think it's just Hoof Fungus (Fomes fomentarius) looking darker than normal because it's been pretty wet.

Stump puffball (Lycoperdon pyriforme)

Lovely! Thank you for sharing! <3

General location would help with specific IDs. Your first and third IDs look good to me. I'd need to see a fertile surface/underside shot for the second, but it doesn't feel like T. versicolor to me. T. versicolor typically has concentric fuzzy rings and a lot more variation in color. Your third photo is definitely a very old polypore. Could be Ganoderma as hoof fungi have a tendency to bulk up (get more chunky in appearance). Underside/fertile surface shots might help there as well.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 1:10 pm

Flown wrote:
General location would help with specific IDs. Your first and third IDs look good to me. I'd need to see a fertile surface/underside shot for the second, but it doesn't feel like T. versicolor to me. T. versicolor typically has concentric fuzzy rings and a lot more variation in color. Your third photo is definitely a very old polypore. Could be Ganoderma as hoof fungi have a tendency to bulk up (get more chunky in appearance). Underside/fertile surface shots might help there as well.

These are all deciduous woodland, southern England. The second is growing on dead birch, didn't get an underside shot to share I'm afraid.

I saw no evidence of a lighter margin on the 'hoof' one which is what I expect on the ganoderma I see around here, but you may be right about it just being super old. It was chunkier than this image suggests but not as hoof-shaped as I'd expect of Fomes. It was growing on a dead hazel trunk.

I wished I'd had a proper camera today, with a macro lens.