One thing that scares me about my autism

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 11:45 am

Things to remember:

“Learning disability” means “intellectual disability” in the UK. People with “learning disabilities” in the US most frequently do not have an intellectual disability.

A person with a US “learning disability,” in the UK, is said to have “learning difficulty.”

The lifespan of a person with an intellectual disability can be shorter because of a genetic condition which affects lifespan.

In and of itself, people with “learning disabilities” in the US, or “learning difficulties” in the UK don’t have a reduced lifespan. Same with Asperger’s. It’s possible that co-morbids do reduce lifespan, but not inevitably.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 11:50 am

TenMinutes wrote:
I'm 57. I have an extremely good immune system, I'm more fit than most people half my age. But I have high blood pressure and a heart rate that drops into the 40's on occasion. I am stress in human form. I've seen a doctor once in the last thirteen years. I have no help with anything. I wish I was dead hundreds of times per day.

Hugs -- I'm sorry you feel so alone. I feel the same way about not having help.

I've had two strokes and my BP is commonly above 150 even with three types of BP meds.

Twenty years ago my adrenal system collapsed by depletion of stress hormones.

I'm lucky to sleep 3-4 hours at night and my waking hours are stressful because of sensory overwhelm / tinnitus.

Death by burnout or stress is a real thing.

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 12:00 pm

People with learning disability tend to have poorer life outcomes in general, due to reduced income potential, reduced social success, and poorer life skills. It's not the disability that shortens lifespan, it is a poorer life in general.

In autism, "learning disability" is, I believe, primarily language learning difficulty, so it is the primary differentiator between aspergers and other forms of autism. I believe it DOESN'T refer to social learning.

I had language regression. While I seem to have mostly overcome it, it set me back socially during an important socializing period of childhood. While I have better communication skills than most people on the spectrum, I also seem to be less likable and less affable. I can interview alright, I can communicate with doctors alright, but in friend-making I seem to be as profoundly affected as anybody. And for getting anybody to help me with anything at all, oh, FFS.

Last edited by TenMinutes on 18 Dec 2021, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 12:02 pm

Thanks, Isabella!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 12:16 pm

I think the only thing that might make me die young is the fact that I have sensory issues with pain and cannot cope with anything being inserted into me unless I'm under anaesthetic, so putting PAP tests and colonoscopies off is a surefire way to kill yourself should you get bowel cancer or cervical cancer, which are common. But the doctors won't put me under anaesthetic for that. So I just have to hope and pray that I don't get cancer.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 12:32 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Usually I just accept my mild autism condition as a part of me like my hazel eyes and coarse body hair are a part of me. But there is one thing I was thinking about, those with autism most likely died alone and in pain during more primitive times compared to the non-autistic population.

I know it became politically incorrect to say that people with autism or something else like Down Syndrome are not "normal", but I think this was what the realistic fate was of those of us in those environments because we lack social skills and have sensory issues to noise and smell, and I don't know if there can be exceptions to that or not. I believe my own symptoms personally are still mild enough that in the current modern environment my everyday living isn't really affected at all.

It's still scary though, if civilization does collapse (which I believe it will do anyway) I might be screwed and I know everyone else especially with more severe autistic symptoms will definitely be screwed in such an environment.

I would buy one gram of gold a week and learn skills such as hunting,fishing,camping,self-defense,farming,butchering,canning,shooting and get lots of guns and ammo if you really want to be prepared.Maybe some Bitcoin Swiss Francs and Euros and rupees,pesos too if you needed to go overseas in that situation.Could you handle a bunch of gun shots with no hearing propection with your sensory issues?I would get a years worth of supplies and some land way out in the sticks to prepare.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 12:34 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I think the only thing that might make me die young is the fact that I have sensory issues with pain and cannot cope with anything being inserted into me unless I'm under anaesthetic, so putting PAP tests and colonoscopies off is a surefire way to kill yourself should you get bowel cancer or cervical cancer, which are common. But the doctors won't put me under anaesthetic for that. So I just have to hope and pray that I don't get cancer.

So doctors in UK wont give you propofol for colonoscopies?

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 1:02 pm

You can accept this (the mind is a powerful tool) ; I choose not to. I am in good health and I plan on being around for a long time. Having Aspergers is advantageous. You can use your extreme focus to maintain better health. Some things I have done is incorporated a baby aspirin daily in my routine; also exercise 5 days a week; take 3-6-9-oil daily; meditate daily; avoid fast foods ( I personally feel fast-food restaurants should be held accountable for serving trash - high fat & low nutritional value) I also drink lots of water daily. You can accept this prognosis and it will happen. Instead I feel it's best to say screw-it and plan on living a long time.

Last edited by Aspinator on 18 Dec 2021, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 1:12 pm

It’s possibly for a disabled person to have a reduced lifespan. But to say that this is inevitable is wrong.

People should realize that they can sometimes hold off what is supposedly inevitable.

If I read that I have autism, and that means I’ll live 10 years less, I would study about where they came to this conclusion….not automatically assume that I will live 10 less years because I have autism.

People read something like this, and feels it automatically applies to them. Then they create self-fulfilling prophecies for themselves.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 1:34 pm

No one said it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, or that they want to have these risk factors.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 1:41 pm

I didn’t say that. Not at all.

Why in the world would I say that people “want” those risk factors.

All I’m saying is that a reduced lifespan is not inevitable when you’re disabled, and not to assume it automatically is.

Some people read pronouncements, and believe what they read automatically applies to them—so they must assume they have a reduced lifespan, and live accordingly.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 1:44 pm

OK thanks. I didn't see anyone saying it's automatically inevitable.

They were just explaining the reasons for statistics.

I have a feeling I'll be around a very long time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 1:53 pm

I want you to be around a very long time!

With an excellent quality of life.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 1:58 pm

Thank you. You too.

I trust that everyone's doing the best they can.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 10:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Things to remember:

“Learning disability” means “intellectual disability” in the UK. People with “learning disabilities” in the US most frequently do not have an intellectual disability.

A person with a US “learning disability,” in the UK, is said to have “learning difficulty.”

The lifespan of a person with an intellectual disability can be shorter because of a genetic condition which affects lifespan.

In and of itself, people with “learning disabilities” in the US, or “learning difficulties” in the UK don’t have a reduced lifespan. Same with Asperger’s. It’s possible that co-morbids do reduce lifespan, but not inevitably.

Yes indeed, that's a big difference in terminology I wasn't aware of.

Around 1971 I was diagnosed as "educationally handicapped" and put into a segregated "EH" classroom and transported to school on a short bus. The joke among us kids was EH stood for "empty head". Looking back on it, I think most of the kids in those classrooms probably had Aspergers.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2021, 10:29 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Usually I just accept my mild autism condition as a part of me like my hazel eyes and coarse body hair are a part of me. But there is one thing I was thinking about, those with autism most likely died alone and in pain during more primitive times compared to the non-autistic population.

I know it became politically incorrect to say that people with autism or something else like Down Syndrome are not "normal", but I think this was what the realistic fate was of those of us in those environments because we lack social skills and have sensory issues to noise and smell, and I don't know if there can be exceptions to that or not. I believe my own symptoms personally are still mild enough that in the current modern environment my everyday living isn't really affected at all.

It's still scary though, if civilization does collapse (which I believe it will do anyway) I might be screwed and I know everyone else especially with more severe autistic symptoms will definitely be screwed in such an environment.

I would buy one gram of gold a week and learn skills such as hunting,fishing,camping,self-defense,farming,butchering,canning,shooting and get lots of guns and ammo if you really want to be prepared.Maybe some Bitcoin Swiss Francs and Euros and rupees,pesos too if you needed to go overseas in that situation.Could you handle a bunch of gun shots with no hearing propection with your sensory issues?I would get a years worth of supplies and some land way out in the sticks to prepare.

I used to definitely not be able to handle gun shots when I was younger but now I'm more open to it. My dad brought an airgun and .22 pellets for our Christmas/Christmas Eve gift, and tomorrow I am going to be taught how to hunt with my dad and his brother/my uncle. Wish me good luck. I did shooting with a BB gun before.

There is a theory that a group being isolated out in the sticks can be even a worse situation than a smaller town around other people.