Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 9:40 pm

I'm meh about them, myself. I do like the craft required for the artwork, the choice of art, location, and meanings for the tattooed. Just never could decided if I wanted one, what would it be, and where would I want it.

The question is do some aspies get tattoos to appear or fit in with NT's?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 9:51 pm

Is fitting in with NTs the only reason an ND would get a tattoo?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 9:53 pm

Quote:
People get tattoos for many reasons: for attention, self-expression, artistic freedom, rebellion, a visual display of a personal narrative, reminders of spiritual/cultural traditions, sexual motivation, addiction, identification with a group or even drunken impulsiveness (which is why many tattoo parlors are open late).

And now, according to some research studies, 15-38 percent of Americans have some type of long-term body art. What was once considered self-mutilatory behavior and a psychiatric problem has now become almost normative behavior.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/psycholo ... _b_2017530

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 9:55 pm

I have considered getting tattooed to “fit in” with some people I admired, until I eventually realized that the “in crowd” I so admired was really a collection of jerks and poseurs.

Last edited by Fnord on 01 Jan 2022, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 9:55 pm

Oh, no. There are many reasons to get a tattoo. Just wondering if it's prevalent among the group and/or if anyone would do it to fit in.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 9:57 pm

txfz1 wrote:
. . . There are many reasons to get a tattoo. . .
Are any of them healthy?

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 10:05 pm

Good question, physical or mental. I can see it helping with dealing with life as I've seen lot's of memorials and most choice of artwork is personal. I think it's pretty rare for physical health effect from getting one.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 10:10 pm

I have never had a tattoo, just like I have never had any piercings, hair dyed or been drunk. Yes, I'm a boring human being. It's probably why I have a very small number of friends. NTs value body enhancements.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 10:14 pm

txfz1 wrote:
Good question, physical or mental. I can see it helping with dealing with life as I've seen lot's of memorials and most choice of artwork is personal. I think it's pretty rare for physical health effect from getting one.

Quote:
Christopher Lynn, an anthropologist at the University of Alabama, published research in 2016 suggesting that getting tattooed may boost your body’s immune response and make you less susceptible to common infections, like colds.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 10:17 pm

That guy Lynn probably likes his chicks to be tattooed :P

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2022, 10:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That guy Lynn probably likes his chicks to be tattooed :P

Tattooing animals is a step too far :P

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2022, 10:32 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
Tattooing animals is a step too far :P

Too late. Some vets tattoo a big dot on the belly of spayed cats & dogs. It's always done at the cheaper spay/neuter clinics, no choice to the owner.

As to the op, I've got a couple I want, but not to "fit in". I also find the cost to be... well there are usually more important things to spend money on. And I've seen a number of friends who were "struggling" get tattoos instead of paying their bills. That really rubs me the wrong way, so I've made the decision to not get one atm.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 2:01 am

Generally, no.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 3:32 am

Why not?
As long as it's not a penis on your thigh.
Or a ferret.
Ferret?
We need to save the ferrets. :wink:

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 3:38 am

My cousin is absolutely covered in tattoos, leg, arms. He's about as opposite to asperger/autism as you can possible get. I don't have any tattoos, i'm not really interested in self-glorying body art. Although i guess tattoos can look good, in a hardened, don't f with me, i'm a bad boy, kinda way. It definitely sends a message, whether it's a good one or bad one, depends on the recipient, and their attitude.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 6:21 am

I don’t have a moral problem with tattoos. They’re just not for me.