goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2022, 11:06 pm

kokopelli wrote:
I detest tattoos.

I will not date a woman with a tattoo.

I will not hire anyone with a tattoo.

If I hire someone and then find out that they have a tattoo, they will have zero chance of ever being promoted or getting a raise.

Hope you’re joking.

Who cares if employees have tattoos if they’re good employees and make customers happy and you money?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Jan 2022, 12:10 am

kokopelli wrote:
I detest tattoos.

If I hire someone and then find out that they have a tattoo, they will have zero chance of ever being promoted or getting a raise.
While I do find em kinda unattractive, lors of people have em these days & it was extremely difficult for me to find a romantic partner without worrying about that extra criteria. My current girlfriend doesn't have any but she's talked before about getting one & decided not to due to the potential hassle & pain. If she decides to or talks about it again, I will give my opinion & let her decide for herself. I love her & she deserves the rite to make her own choices about her body just as I would not want her pushing me to get one.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 12:14 am

goldfish21 wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
I detest tattoos.

Hope you’re joking.

Who cares if employees have tattoos if they’re good employees and make customers happy and you money?
It's fairly common for customer service jobs like retail & waiters to have policies about tattoos not being seen

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 1:11 am

nick007 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
I detest tattoos.

Hope you’re joking.

It's fairly common for customer service jobs like retail & waiters to have policies about tattoos not being seen

Depends where and when - it's becoming a lot rarer to discriminate against tattoos because they're so common and socially accepted these days.

And depending on the type of restaurant, beautifully tattooed bartenders & servers can be a major plus when they attract paying customers.

Maybe a different story if someone's face is covered in tweeker ink or gang tatts.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 3:35 am

I have three tattoos. My most recent one I got a couple months ago. I don't know if I'll get another because it's too painful tor me. :cry:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 5:23 am

The title asks "do aspies get tattoos?".

The DSM doesnt list getting tattoos as being a diagnostic trait either way (being NT, nor being aspie).

Then in the original post he asks "do some aspies get tattoos to fit in with NTs?".

Well...some aspies get tats, and some do not.

And within the subset who do get them they get em for different reasons. Some get them to fit in, and some get them for the opposite reason...to rebel, and signal that "I am not normal, and I have given up trying to be normal".

And some probably get them for both reasons... to fit in with some subculture that is into being rebellious.

But also tats are getting so commonplace among young folks these days, by cracky, that nowadays its more about conformity than about nonconformity.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 7:46 am

naturalplastic wrote:
And some probably get them for both reasons... to fit in with some subculture that is into being rebellious.
Makes me think of the goth kids on South Park :arrow: “If you want to be one of the non-conformist all you have to do is dress just like us and listen to the same music we do” :lol:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 12:21 pm

I met a guy about 50 years old covered in tattoos. Said he regrets getting them because now tattoos are common and so his aren’t - and he doesn’t like that at all.

The crowd I hang out with at the beach has quite a lot of tattooed people - but maybe not that much more than average - we just see their tattoos more since they’re not fully dressed. But some subcultures there defiant have more than average tattoos. Anyways, getting tattooed is certainly a bit socially contagious but I wouldn’t say people necessarily do it to fit in.. more so that people are inspired by body art that’s meaningful and beautiful and then make decisions about what They Want inked to express for themselves. I know I couldn’t care less what other ppl get inked and that the tatts I’ll get will be what I want for my reasons.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 2:03 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
I detest tattoos.

Hope you’re joking.

Why hire someone with a tattoo when you can hire someone without a tattoo?

Around here, at least, tattoos are uncommon. I don't even know anyone around here with a tattoo.

I did know one guy with a tattoo, but I hadn't seen him in decades. He passed away a year or so ago.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 2:57 pm

When I was a kid the only adults I knew that had tattoos had gotten them while they were in the military & they were military related. But it gradually became more common to see non military tats than military 1s.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 5:57 pm

kokopelli wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
I detest tattoos.

Hope you’re joking.

Why hire someone with a tattoo when you can hire someone without a tattoo?

Around here, at least, tattoos are uncommon. I don't even know anyone around here with a tattoo.

I did know one guy with a tattoo, but I hadn't seen him in decades. He passed away a year or so ago.

Why would a lack of tattoos be a requirement to perform a job? :? There's literally no job on the planet that cannot be done well while having tattoos. Sales? Mechanic? Server? Doctor? Engineer? Accountant? Street food vendor? Teacher? etc literally every job doesn't care what colour(s) your skin is.

Tattoos are extremely common here. Like, in some circles someone with zero tattoos would be the odd one out. My sister has one, I have one, my twin brother and his wife have stick & poke heart tattoos on their ring fingers instead of wedding rings, my dad has a couple dots they tattooed on him to locate for radiation treatments :p, ~half my cousins have tattoos, LOTS of people at the beach have tattoos, accountants and cops and all kinds of people I know have tattoos.

I worked with a guy from the South of France several Summers ago who told me that in France it's basically only criminals that have tattoos so they're looked down upon. That would definitely be a VERY foreign culture to me compared to inked up life here. Tattoos are for anyone & everyone, really. Lots of very good body art on all kinds of people.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 6:42 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Why would a lack of tattoos be a requirement to perform a job? :? There's literally no job on the planet that cannot be done well while having tattoos. Sales? Mechanic? Server? Doctor? Engineer? Accountant? Street food vendor? Teacher? etc literally every job doesn't care what colour(s) your skin is.

Tattoos are extremely common here. Like, in some circles someone with zero tattoos would be the odd one out. My sister has one, I have one, my twin brother and his wife have stick & poke heart tattoos on their ring fingers instead of wedding rings, my dad has a couple dots they tattooed on him to locate for radiation treatments :p, ~half my cousins have tattoos, LOTS of people at the beach have tattoos, accountants and cops and all kinds of people I know have tattoos.

I worked with a guy from the South of France several Summers ago who told me that in France it's basically only criminals that have tattoos so they're looked down upon. That would definitely be a VERY foreign culture to me compared to inked up life here. Tattoos are for anyone & everyone, really. Lots of very good body art on all kinds of people.
Some parts of the US are extremely judgemental & intolerant & majorly care about a person's image & the color of a person's skin. Some hard-core religious conservatives believe that God requires a person's skin to be white as snow in order to not cause eternal damnation. There is an exception & tats are allowed for people who are willing to fight & potentially die for their God & country. Also the real character of a person does not matter as long as he gives the appearance of following the holy book. It's NOT like this everywhere here in the US but some areas here have a large amount of people who do believe that. I'm NOT saying that kokopelli believes this & I do not know where he is from. But some areas here do push this & as a result tats are not common in some areas even for the people who don't believe that. Some people don't really care about other's images & appearances but they do not want to risk drawing negative attention to themselves.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 12:27 pm

nick007 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Some parts of the US are extremely judgemental & intolerant & majorly care about a person's image & the color of a person's skin. Some hard-core religious conservatives believe that God requires a person's skin to be white as snow in order to not cause eternal damnation. There is an exception & tats are allowed for people who are willing to fight & potentially die for their God & country. Also the real character of a person does not matter as long as he gives the appearance of following the holy book. It's NOT like this everywhere here in the US but some areas here have a large amount of people who do believe that. I'm NOT saying that kokopelli believes this & I do not know where he is from. But some areas here do push this & as a result tats are not common in some areas even for the people who don't believe that. Some people don't really care about other's images & appearances but they do not want to risk drawing negative attention to themselves.

Again, it's all cultural. No one's "drawing negative attention to themselves," by being around tattooed people here. The only exception is perhaps if it is glaringly obvious that all of the people surrounding you are rocking gang tattoos - then maybe - but you'd have to know what the tattoos were/meant And someone would have to identify them as matching gang tattoos etc for it to maybe be a judgement problem. It's otherwise pretty common for people to have extensive tattoos - like "That guy is wearing a baseball cap, the guy next to him has a full sleeve tattoo(s)," and both are about equal in terms of social norm acceptance.

So many bartenders and servers have visible tattoos that if a bar or restaurant refused to hire them they might not have any staff at all. Even the manager of Black & Blue (a high end steakhouse where dinner for two with drinks is probably $300-500) has a sleeve. And if word got around that a bar or restaurant refused to hire a guy/gal because of a tattoo, they'd probably be blacklisted by industry workers and have a very difficult time hiring anyone.

I could understand if someone had their face covered in ink they got in jail while high as a kite on meth that was smuggled in via someone's butthole, as those sorts of tattoos don't exactly scream "Wow; impressive art! Who did your work?" so much as they do "Hey man, just don't break into my car.." but other than the most extremely sketchy looking tatts, Most ink I've seen is at the very least presentable, even if it's not my favourite art style.

I suppose I just take for granted how laid back we really are on the West coast of Canada compared to stuffy boring people upholding stuffy boring stereotypes in other parts of the continent.

Meh; whatever - I'm gonna get L O T S more ink. Like I mean I could probably buy a pretty nice car for the price I'll end up paying tattoo artists over the years to come. At least covid has changed their whole industry.. forced them to work from home illegally vs. lose their incomes entirely as shops shut down.. soooo, now they produce their beautiful works of art for a lower price since the shop isn't taking their overhead cut anymore. People can pay less while artists earn more - kind of a win-win if it stays a bit more of a home-based business industry for the long haul. Shops will open again, though, as they attract walk in business and tourists etc - but I kinda hope my guy and his girlfriend stay working from home so I can save thoooooousands. :p

And then when I travel maybe people will assume I'm a total badass mf gangster ? Or that I had a lengthy stay in a jail with a VERY impressive artist(s) lololol

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 1:58 pm

nick007 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

In my world, reputation is everything.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 2:51 pm

Do not take the Mark of the Beast

where ever you go ,there you are

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 3:27 pm

kokopelli wrote:
nick007 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

In my world, reputation is everything.

You live in a strange world if tattoos alter reputations to any significant degree where you live.

Weird.