Page 5 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 8:08 pm

txfz1 wrote:
I'm meh about them, myself. I do like the craft required for the artwork, the choice of art, location, and meanings for the tattooed. Just never could decided if I wanted one, what would it be, and where would I want it.

The question is do some aspies get tattoos to appear or fit in with NT's?

I'm not technically an aspie. I got lumped into the pdd-nos camp back in the day. Now I think I'm asd level 2.

Anyway, I did not get my tattoos not to fit in with NT's. I don't much care about fitting in. One I got is in memory of a friend who killed himself, another a reminder to myself to try to maintain balance in life. One I did myself when I was young and dumb. Another has no point or purpose, it's just there because I wanted it there. I drew all of mine myself and they all mean something to me. For me, it's a personal thing.

Also, I agree, it is cultural. And regional. I'm lucky to be in the states...specifically in the northern part of the states. No one where I live cares if you have a tattoo or if you don't. When I was younger people still would make you hide them at work in a lot of places, but those times are long gone here. I'm glad for it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2022, 12:30 pm

I gotta say I'm a little blown away by some of the posts about attitudes towards tattoos being stuck in the 1800s in some of the places forum members live. Wild.

Makes me wonder how I'd be perceived by those people, and the people around them more so, with my one tattoo... and even more curious how they'd perceive me after I get a full left sleeve going up onto my neck.. and then more. Like, are people from places like that going to look at me as if I'm some gangbanger? Career criminal? Scary untrustworthy potentially violent person? Hmmm.. does make me wonder. And then when they notice it's vividly coloured beautiful artwork, absolutely nothing sinister.. do their perceptions shift? Do they think I'm some kind of weirdo celebrity type of some sort? Or do they think I'm just some crazy guy that made "bad decisions," that are going to land me in hell? Do they even have any concept of how much money gets spent on art like that? (At shop retail a full sleeve runs roughly $10,000.00) If they knew that would they think I was even crazier? Super wealthy? Must be a drug dealing biker gang badass mofo? :lol: Hmmm. *shrug* - curious - but I really don't Care what they actually think as the ink & art I accumulate over time isn't for them; it's for me. 8)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2022, 5:53 pm

It is good to be aware of judgements people might make about you, perhaps giving understanding about how various people treat you . And if it based on something that is your choice in appearance . Even better for you to be prepared.

where ever you go ,there you are

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2022, 6:25 pm

Jakki wrote:
It is good to be aware of judgements people might make about you, perhaps giving understanding about how various people treat you . And if it based on something that is your choice in appearance . Even better for you to be prepared.

LOL yeah - to tell them to F off. 8)

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2022, 6:30 pm

Other than those I care for, I don't care what people think of me. Though, I don't mind being underestimated and seen as slow/odd, as I often am (that's how I appear). I'd rather be that than overestimated.

Opinions are fickle things even when dealing with the exact same subject, as context often has the biggest say. Someone can hate something, but throw on context that they like, and they'll suddenly approve of it.