Explaining the Shipdom to universe to anyone curious

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

_cora_
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2022, 9:31 pm

Ok, before I begin, it is pronounced ship-dum. Also, I hope it's okay to post this here, I just need to explain my special interest to people.
Shipdom is a universe about ships who have both a human and a ship form. Their human form is a representation of their ship form as a human, which means that usually their paint color is their hair color, military ships will look tougher than cruise ships, bigger ships will look clunkier, etc. Most military ships will have their personalities altered to a certain point, a regular practice to ensure that the ships will be fit to be soldiers. Ship brain altering is a key part of the universe, and the invention of the Mute-class command ship is revolutionary. (more about this later, there's some Aspie s**t going on here)
The way the human forms are connected to the ships is via a Soulbox, which must never be destroyed or moved off the ship and is stored in secret places. Soulboxes are generated at birth, and are spawned in the ship, usually while they're still being constructed. Soulboxes generally are a visual representation of a ship's personality. They also get bigger or smaller depending on a ship's size, for example Starlet's is as small as a jewelry box.
The main conflict of the story is that companies and the military don't view the ships as humans, and basically enslave them, forcing them to work their assigned jobs. Ships who are seen as stubborn are scolded and threatened. The ships are scrapped if they are seen as "too messed up", for example if they have some kind of medical condition they are often killed by scrapping for parts and occasionally sold to a sympathetic buyer. Of course, stuff like this leads to the last arc, the Rebellion Arc.
I haven't developed the world too much yet, so far there's a pretty generic country that most of the characters live in. Only other countries I have are a dictatorship that always tries to start fights but doesn't succeed, and the "amusement park country" which never takes itself seriously, the queen does all the work while the king hosts nonstop parties.
There is also a location known as the "Gwip", an abandoned military project that sends any ships who enter it into a simulation of World War 2. It was originally developed to randomly test military ships, however the project was abandoned and left in the middle of the sea. However, one day a ship accidentally stumbles into it, launching the iconic "Gwip Challenge" where ships post themselves in the Gwip on ShipToc. It started a worldwide "Gwip Crisis" and the "Gwip Rescue Missions".
The story mainly centers on two cruise ship companies, Kings of the Seas Luxury Cruise Line and Happy Ships Happy Families. Kings of the Seas is a company with giant debts, but they have ships so big they can't move themselves. Usually admired or laughed at my other companies. Happy Ships Happy Families is the rival budget company, with smaller ships and a "No Tugboat Policy". Their ships are speedy, but lack the giant rooms and elaborate safety protocol of Kings of the Seas, but also getting much more customers shoved into a small space for a lower price.
Kings of the Seas is the only company to own Civilian Semi Submarines, which used to be a military exclusive invention. There's currently only two passenger semi subs in existence, at least for the first half of the story.
There's a few main arcs of the story, here they are so far:
Community Beginnings- Covers the period of time in flashbacks from the very beginning of the two companies and the Christmas of Corruption, up to APP arc.
APP Arc- Amogus Prevention Plan- Ship community leader Star thinks that Amogus is an actual disease, after a meme video and a lot of "Community Chaos". She thinks that the Among Us video game is infecting the community with Amogus, and that sufferers are so addicted to the game that they can't tell reality apart from Among Us.
APP Extended Arc- AKA two dudes get into a year-long battle over Amogus. This arc is rather goofy, like APP arc, but surprisingly serious in some spots. Star needs to deal with the "Community Amogus Crisis" so she invites her parents, Galaxy and Nebula, to knock some sense into everyone. Due to some questionable actions on Galaxy's part, he ends up getting arrested after a Pro-Galaxy VS Anti-Galaxy battle.
Ships4Ships- A chill arc that happens when a dating app specifically for ships is developed, which involves a lot of bad dates. Set in the summer after the APP extended arc chaos.
Rebellion Arc- The ships finally are done with their companies after the Kings of the Seas owner is replaced with a crazy dictator-like man. The ships have to team up to get their freedom. Mute breaks barriers and accesses the Headspace Module, a seemingly abandoned project, which allows him to plan strategies like never before and helps with the ships getting freedom. During this arc, the Community McDonald's is transformed into the headquarters for the ships (inspired by that one episode of Spongebob when the krusty krab had a metal barrier around it). Also, Passion has triplets, right in the middle of the rebellion.
Island Arc- Having freed the ships, at least in their companies, the ships escape to the Royal Vacation Island of another country.

That was a lot. Thanks for listening to my rant. Feel free to comment or ask questions, I LOVE SHIP QUESTIONS. Ok thank you bye. :D

_cora_
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2022, 11:46 am

I guess no one was curious :lol:

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 1:47 pm

I've read it and really liked how you defined how the ships become a human form via the Soulbox. This is the allegory for autism and how we develop our own moral code and masking. It gets kinda dark went you go into scrapping when "too messed up" but this has so much potential which you've used to define the Arcs. I enjoyed the read and seeing how you see it.

_cora_
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2022, 8:07 pm

txfz1 wrote:
I've read it and really liked how you defined how the ships become a human form via the Soulbox. This is the allegory for autism and how we develop our own moral code and masking. It gets kinda dark went you go into scrapping when "too messed up" but this has so much potential which you've used to define the Arcs. I enjoyed the read and seeing how you see it.

Thank you! :D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 8:47 pm

Gosh. More imagination than I can handle here. Lol!

Youve got warships, and cruise ships, but you dont mention the most important category of ships. Namely cargo ships. Old style freighters, container ships, tankers, ore carriers, roll-on-roll-off automobile carriers, etc. Those should be represented in this ship universe. Fishing vessels too.

you're gender is shown as female, and your age is 14. Most young ladies of your age are more interested in talking about "shipping" than in "shipping". Pairing folks into putative relationships than in discussing ocean going ships. So...I have to ask if any of these ship-human characters have romantic relationships? Do you ship any pairs of ships? Lol!

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 10:28 pm

You're welcome. The dark issue of being scrapped when "too messed up," could be explored wrt to the aspie s**t. The history of Hans Asperger is a horror and a nightmare for children.

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 11:50 pm

its very interesting and full of great ideas...very entertaining!

about an alien corpse
im the one who brought
the truth to the light

_cora_
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2022, 12:05 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Gosh. More imagination than I can handle here. Lol!

Youve got warships, and cruise ships, but you dont mention the most important category of ships. Namely cargo ships. Old style freighters, container ships, tankers, ore carriers, roll-on-roll-off automobile carriers, etc. Those should be represented in this ship universe. Fishing vessels too.

you're gender is shown as female, and your age is 14. Most young ladies of your age are more interested in talking about "shipping" than in "shipping". Pairing folks into putative relationships than in discussing ocean going ships. So...I have to ask if any of these ship-human characters have romantic relationships? Do you ship any pairs of ships? Lol!

I'm still developing the universe, actually I have a few cargo ships and plan to add more at a later date. I haven't determined when they will interact with the other ships, though. I have basic ideas for personality, like most of them are slightly rude or just unsure of how to interact with others because they mainly deal with stuff, not people.
As for your question, I have a few couples, mainly added because people were begging for romance and would rather hear me talk about that then the floorplans and guns of the ships. Some of them even have kids eventually. But there's more drama then there is happy couples.
When I tried to tell my peers about the ship universe, they seemed to think it was about relationships, no matter how many times I tried to explain that I was talking about actual vehicles. Adding that the ships also have a human form tied to their ship confused everyone even more.

_cora_
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2022, 1:23 pm

ocean wrote:
its very interesting and full of great ideas...very entertaining!

Thanks! :)

enz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 6:00 pm

That’s a Very interesting and unique idea