Page 7 of 60 [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 60  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 3:40 pm

HighLlama wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
When I make a verbal comment or observation to people, and they interrupt me to say "What made you think of that?", meaning I'm not a linear thinker.

???

I don't know what made me think of it. My brain, perhaps?!

It's hard enough with mutism, ADHD (racing thoughts), and ASD (always making connections between ideas, and thinking of tiny details or patterns). Now I'm supposed to deconstruct what I'm thinking and explain what made me think it? Should I describe the neurobiology of ADHD or Mutism, or offer a book on ASD thought?

(How about a book on manners?)

Maybe I'll just make a print-out or wear a sign saying "Don't Ask".

That sign's a cool idea. What made you think of that?

Just kidding of course:

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 3:43 pm

^Your patience reminds me of my mother! :D

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

27 Apr 2022, 4:47 pm

klanka wrote:
Those count to one million threads. They appear on 'view new posts' and get in the way.
I've never used the "View new posts" option - it's far too broad to be any use and includes responses I'm not in the least interested in.

Instead I do a "right-click > open in new tab" on a forum on the main index page (say, News and Current Events) then on that new tab I look down the index page for items of interest - or the latest posts: the newest ones accumulate their threads at the top of the list by default.

I then use the same "right-click > open in new tab" on each topic I'm interested in and eventually, having run out of interesting topics, work my way through the accumulated topics of interest tabs I've created and read/post then close tab as required.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 5:21 pm

Joe90 wrote:
When I ask a rhetorical question and people actually answer - or worse they yell at me "why ask such a stupid question?" Because I don't want an answer, that's why. It's called a rhetorical question, and is a way of expressing thoughts or feelings.

I have the opposite pet peeve. Folks who ask "failed rhetorical questions". you're not supposed to answer a rhetorical question, but the implied answer to any rhetorical question is supposed to be a resounding NO! Many folks ask rhetorical question that backfire because the answer to what they asked is actually "yes". And the person is too oblivious to reality to realize that.

Actually its one particular rhetorical question: the old "do I look like [fill in the blank]?".

Folks who ask "do I look like fill in the blank" invaribly DO look like "fill in the blank".

Like the guy Clint Eastwood confronts in the first "Dirty Harry" movie.

An ex con who now runs a tattoo parlor, and claims to be on the straight and narrow.

Clint says "we found the body of so and so stuffed down the garbage chute of his apartment. We cant prove it yet, but we KNOW you did it. So...we might go easy on you if you can give us info on a certain bigger fish".

The guy replies "stuffed down a garbage chute?".

The guy folds his bare arms, and looks indignant, while the camera captures all of the evil ink all over his muscle bound body- skulls with rattlesnakes crawling out of their eye sockets, etc.

And the guy then says "Now do *I* look like the kinda guy who do sumpin like that?"

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 9:32 am

Stupid debate about whether a guest wearing a white dress to a wedding is acceptable or not.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 10:51 am

You phone up a customer service centre, because you obviously want to communicate by phone, and the idiotic recorded message invariably tells you to go online! The whole telephone call centre business is a nightmare these days, with automated 'menus' shuttling you around endlessly, huge delays with pathetic excuses about Covid, and clueless 'service agents', if you eventually get through to one.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 10:55 am

temp1234 wrote:
Stupid debate about whether a guest wearing a white dress to a wedding is acceptable or not.

Green isn't acceptable either.

Pet Peeves
- Reading about people's masturbatory habits (ad nauseam)
- Watching members be teased, mimicked, or bullied
- Double standards

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 10:55 am

naturalplastic wrote:
. . . Folks who ask "failed rhetorical questions". you're not supposed to answer a rhetorical question, but the implied answer to any rhetorical question is supposed to be a resounding NO! Many folks ask rhetorical question that backfire because the answer to what they asked is actually "yes". And the person is too oblivious to reality to realize that.

Actually its one particular rhetorical question: the old "do I look like [fill in the blank]?".

Folks who ask "do I look like fill in the blank" invaribly DO look like "fill in the blank". . .
Her: "Does this outfit make me look fat?"

Him (Out Loud): "Sweetheart, you always look beautiful, no matter what you wear!"

Him (To Himself): "Being fat makes you look fat."

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 10:57 am

Speaking of littering, people are actually either leaving their bags of dog poop on the sidewalk or even hanging them on trees like ornaments.

Urge to kill...RISING!!

This is partly the city's fault, though, we have virtually no public trash cans to deposit the bags in. I hardly ever see any trash cans outdoors, and when I do they're overflowing with garbage. I don't get it, I heard that in other Canadian cities they have strategically placed trash cans so that people will deposit their trash instead of littering. I'm always hearing how clean it is there. Must be nice. :x

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 11:54 am

HighLlama wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Stickers on books.

That or when they have some little emblem that looks like a sticker, but is part of the cover. Which ruins the cover image.

When they reference the story as a "Major Motion Picture" all over the cover.
When they use a scene from the movie as cover art.
Even more cringeworthy, when they show and name actors from the movie as cover art.
Reviews, accolades, and awards on the cover: "New York Times Best Seller!" or "Five Stars!" :wall:
The devaluation of print media, in general.

When people ask if I read paper books.

A conversation with my optometrist a couple of years ago:

- "I need them for reading"

- "How close is your computer?"

- "No, I mean reading books"

- "Oh, so a tablet? A Kindle?"

- "Um, no. Books. Printed books. Digital stories aren't books."

- "You read books? That's so cool! Are you in school?"

(I wasn't at the time)

- "No ... (?) .... I read for pleasure"

- "Oh, so like at the beach?"

I kid you not.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 1:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
. . . Folks who ask "failed rhetorical questions". you're not supposed to answer a rhetorical question, but the implied answer to any rhetorical question is supposed to be a resounding NO! Many folks ask rhetorical question that backfire because the answer to what they asked is actually "yes". And the person is too oblivious to reality to realize that.

Folks who ask "do I look like fill in the blank" invaribly DO look like "fill in the blank". . .

Him (Out Loud): "Sweetheart, you always look beautiful, no matter what you wear!"

I mean more like:

Me: Who's truck is that parked illegally, blocking our view from the window?
My boyfriend: I don't know, do I??! Why ask stupid questions?
Me: It was...just a manner of speaking...I wasn't actually asking you to know... you're supposed to just agree with me

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 1:23 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Speaking of littering, people are actually either leaving their bags of dog poop on the sidewalk or even hanging them on trees like ornaments.

Urge to kill...RISING!!

This is partly the city's fault, though, we have virtually no public trash cans to deposit the bags in. I hardly ever see any trash cans outdoors, and when I do they're overflowing with garbage. I don't get it, I heard that in other Canadian cities they have strategically placed trash cans so that people will deposit their trash instead of littering. I'm always hearing how clean it is there. Must be nice. :x

Here there are plenty of trash cans all over the place but people still litter, and they throw their trash out their car windows.

When people spit their gum out on the ground or stick it in inappropriate places like on the backs of bus seats, which is very unhygienic and is a devil to get off (I work as a cleaner on buses). It's absolutely gross.

Also when teenagers scratch rude graffiti on to the backs of bus seats so that it's engraved there forever so the company has to pay to replace the whole seat.

When passengers shove their garbage in stupid places on the bus - which actually takes more effort than just putting it into a trash can. There's a small trash can provided on the bus, and there's usually a trash can at every bus stop. One time some pillock had stuck chewing gum on the window and stuck all their garbage (cans and wrappers) on to each bit of gum. Utterly disrespectful.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 1:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Hmmmm...

Interesting. I wasnt thinking of that sorta thing.

But yes, that would be a type of "rhetorical question". And the asker is indeed expecting a resounding "NO".

But its asked in an insecure pleading kinda of tone made by an insecure person who believes that they may actually "look fat".

What I had in mind is folks like Dirty Harry's potential snitch, who ask it in an indignant and arrogant tone- and are oblivious to how they actually DO ...look EXACTLY like the kinda guy who would do something like that! :lol:

I work for an inventory counting company. Were like an army platoon that enters retail stores, and just proceeds to physically count everything in the store via entering data into little hand held computer thingies. Moving like a plague of locusts from one end of the store to the other. And we wear uniforms that are virtually identical to those worn by Wendy's servers. Usually different from the uniforms worn by the store's own employees, but not street clothes. Retail type uniforms.

And stores have something called "customers". And often customers assume that we are store employees and ask questions.

A certain low level lady supervisor would get emotionally distraught about it. One time she was looking for commiseration, and said to me "do I look like I work here?". Like Dirty Harry's buddy.

I said to her...well...as a matter of fact you DO look like that. We ALWAYS look like we are store employees, thats part of the job. Were not invisible. The public sees us. Sees that we are hard at work IN A STORE..and assumes that we must "work for the store". I didnt even get around to pointing out the fact that because we dont wear street clothes the public knows that we are not fellow customers, but has no way of knowing that we arent staff either.

She said sumpin to the effect that they should know who we are, and what we are doing.

I replied with ..one little question. It was "how are they supposed to know that?".

Just that one question.

She responded with sitting down, and literally breaking into tears.

I guess I was naive to expect her to respond with "you're right. I had a temporary brain fart, and was just being silly". But I didnt expect THAT response. Oh well.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 1:33 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I mean more like:

Me: Who's truck is that parked illegally, blocking our view from the window?
My boyfriend: I don't know, do I??! Why ask stupid questions?
Me: It was...just a manner of speaking...I wasn't actually asking you to know... you're supposed to just agree with me
Yes, of course!  I totally agree!

I was just replying to Nat's post.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 1:34 pm

This smugface emoticon --->> :D

When people assume everyone works in an office environment.

When you say something like "I don't like old people" or something and then people get all offended and go "I'm old, does that mean you hate me?" or "so you hate my grandparents then?" - even though A, you never used the word hate, and B, you didn't mean it personally against any old people.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 1:36 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Stickers on books.

That or when they have some little emblem that looks like a sticker, but is part of the cover. Which ruins the cover image.

When they reference the story as a "Major Motion Picture" all over the cover.
When they use a scene from the movie as cover art.
Even more cringeworthy, when they show and name actors from the movie as cover art.
Reviews, accolades, and awards on the cover: "New York Times Best Seller!" or "Five Stars!" :wall:
The devaluation of print media, in general.

When people ask if I read paper books.

A conversation with my optometrist a couple of years ago:

- "I need them for reading"

- "How close is your computer?"

- "No, I mean reading books"

- "Oh, so a tablet? A Kindle?"

- "Um, no. Books. Printed books. Digital stories aren't books."

- "You read books? That's so cool! Are you in school?"

(I wasn't at the time)

- "No ... (?) .... I read for pleasure"

- "Oh, so like at the beach?"

I kid you not.

I am used to "soon to be a major motion picture" on the cover of paperbacks. Doesnt bother me.
But thats crazy about that doctor.

Though...I gotta admit...Neuro Tribes was the last book I actually completed reading ...as a book. It came out some years ago. Here I am on the Net spending time.