Do you think it will ever be possible to go back in time?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jetso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Apr 2024, 1:37 pm

And if so, why aren't we getting any visitors from the future? Do we just live in a boring time?

utterly absurd
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2024, 2:02 pm

Maybe we are getting visitors from the future and they're just disguising themselves as modern people.
I'm not sure though; time travel does create a lot of paradoxes. It's hard to say.

Princess Viola
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2024, 3:17 pm

Nah.

Time travel to the future is possible because you'd just have to go really damn fast (read: basically the speed of light) and such forward time travel is both a well observed phenomena and understood within the framework of both special relativity and general relativity, although we don't have the technology to make something advance more than a few milliseconds into the future.

But backwards time travel would either be extremely difficult or just downright impossible to do.

SailorsGuy12
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Apr 2024, 3:37 pm

I wish it was possible to go back I'm time. I want to go back to any point before 2000 and "adult" during that time. I will never be able to and we are stuck in the current era of overwhelming AI and tech, humanity getting worse, it seems. :cry:

"Capitalism" or free-market != oppression

ElmersTrueLove
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Apr 2024, 4:11 pm

No. But unfortunately ai could as ai could be creating immortality.

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2024, 5:08 pm

Jetso wrote:
Do you think it will ever be possible to go back in time?
No.
Jetso wrote:
Do we just live in a boring time?
If natural disasters, wars, civil unrest, and the latest Trump gaffes bore you, then the impossibility of retrograde time travel should be the least of your worries.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2024, 5:39 pm

If we could go back in time, it would scare China out of their wits. They despise the idea of time travel or anything that let's creative people think of ways to undo the beginning of the CCP.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2024, 6:56 pm

I go back in time every time I flick some beetles.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2024, 7:13 pm

No chance.

Jetso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2024, 12:51 pm

It is not known whether or not retrograde time travel is possible. Unlike perpetual motion which is impossible according to physics as it is understood, the laws of physics have not been shown to absolutely forbid retrograde time travel.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2024, 3:33 pm

No I don't think it'll ever be possible to go back in time. My only doubt about that is that technology has sometimes eventually done things that most people had deemed impossible.

You can go forward though. It's just difficult to go very far, but conceptually it's not impossible.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 9:36 am

Princess Viola wrote:
Nah.

Time travel to the future is possible because you'd just have to go really damn fast (read: basically the speed of light) and such forward time travel is both a well observed phenomena and understood within the framework of both special relativity and general relativity, although we don't have the technology to make something advance more than a few milliseconds into the future.

But backwards time travel would either be extremely difficult or just downright impossible to do.

There is a problem with this. How does someone accelerate enough for significant travel into the future without flattening like a pancake?

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 10:47 am

utterly absurd wrote:
Maybe we are getting visitors from the future and they're just disguising themselves as modern people.
I'm not sure though; time travel does create a lot of paradoxes. It's hard to say.

The paradoxes associated with the time travel can be solved with parallel universes or just being able to watch the past like a video but not interact with it.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 12:32 pm

NewTime wrote:
The paradoxes associated with the time travel can be solved with parallel universes or just being able to watch the past like a video but not interact with it.

We already indirectly "watch" the past to a degree of course, using archaology etc., and we already directly watch the past when we look at distant objects. So far, there's no empirical evidence for parallel universes, but if there were, then if we managed to affect "the past" in one of those, I guess it wouldn't exactly be our past. When we talk of "the past," and going back in it, I think we usually mean "our own past."

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 5:02 pm

Maybe people have gone back in time, but they rapidly got younger and younger and then disappeared when they passed the date they were born.

I remember in Calvin and Hobbes, Hobbes asked Calvin why this *didn't* happen to them when traveling back in time, and Calvin said "I'd explain it, but there's a lot of math." And Hobbes said, "I thought you got a D in math."

(That is very likely why Calvin couldn't explain it)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 7:02 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Maybe people have gone back in time, but they rapidly got younger and younger and then disappeared when they passed the date they were born.

I remember in Calvin and Hobbes, Hobbes asked Calvin why this *didn't* happen to them when traveling back in time, and Calvin said "I'd explain it, but there's a lot of math." And Hobbes said, "I thought you got a D in math."

(That is very likely why Calvin couldn't explain it)

This makes no sense. If you traveled back in time you continue to age forward, but you live in the same time frame as your younger self. There would be two of you. And if your machine malfunctioned and got stuck and kept sending you back...over and over...there would be a whole army of cloned versions of you living at the same time at some point in the past.