There was never a global flood like in Noah story.

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sonic200
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Joined: 12 Jul 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 233

22 May 2022, 3:44 pm

There was never a global flood like in the story of Noah. There is not enough water on the Earth for such a global flood to have occurred.



Radish
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2022
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,131
Location: UK

22 May 2022, 4:15 pm

Best to regard the bible as just a collection of myths and legends; for entertainment purposes only as they say.


_________________
This space intentionally left blank.


kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2016
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,473
Location: Missouri

22 May 2022, 4:26 pm

Wouldn't it be funny if the Expanding Earth theory which is currently dismissed similarly to how the continental drift theory once was, turned out to be true and Earth was smaller at the time of the global flood, thereby allowing the existing amount of water to cover it.

Related references:


We’ve Been Wrong Before: The Expanding Earth Theory
Did the continents spread apart because the planet itself is expanding? No, but a lot of good scientists used to think so.
By Meg Neal
Aug 3, 2018

https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... th-theory/
"
The idea that Earth has inflated over time neatly solves the continental jigsaw puzzle, but it raised a host of other problems. Most glaringly: No one ever managed to give a realistic explanation for just how in the hell it would happen.

During the theory’s heyday, proponents posited multiple possible mechanisms for the expanding Earth. One proposed a pulsating Earth that expanded and contracted in cycles, forming oceans and mountains as it waxed and waned. Another claimed the accumulation of cosmic debris caused the planet’s mass to increase. And another credited some sort of chemical phase change occurring in the Earth’s core, the way water expands when it turns into ice. But the scientific implications of a ballooning planet are outrageous to consider, and hard just to reconcile with the basic laws of physics.
"

Plate Tectonics: The Rocky History of an Idea
https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/geology/techist.html
"
Wegener eventually proposed a mechanism for continental drift that focused on his assertion that the rotation of the earth created a centrifugal force towards the equator. He believed that Pangaea originated near the south pole and that the centrifugal force of the planet caused the protocontinent to break apart and the resultant continents to drift towards the equator. He called this the "pole-fleeing force". This idea was quickly rejected by the scientific community primarily because the actual forces generated by the rotation of the earth were calculated to be insufficient to move continents. Wegener also tried to explain the westward drift of the Americas by invoking the gravitational forces of the sun and the moon, this idea was also quickly rejected. Wegener's inability to provide an adequate explanation of the forces responsible for continental drift and the prevailing belief that the earth was solid and immovable resulted in the scientific dismissal of his theories.
"


When Continental Drift Was Considered Pseudoscience
More than 100 years ago, a German scientist was ridiculed for advancing the shocking idea that the continents were adrift
Richard Conniff
June 2012
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... -90353214/

"
We like to imagine that knowledge advances fact upon dispassionate fact to reveal precise and irrefutable truths. But there is hardly a better example of just how messy and emotional science can be than Wegener’s discovery of the vast, turbulent forces moving within the earth’s crust. As often happens when confronted with difficult new ideas, the establishment joined ranks and tore holes in his theories, mocked his evidence and maligned his character.
...
The idea that smashed the old orthodoxy got its start on Christmas 1910, as Wegener (the W is pronounced like a V) browsed through a friend’s new atlas. Others before him had noticed that the Atlantic coast of Brazil looked as if it might once have been tucked up against West Africa, like a couple spooning in bed. But no one had made much of it, and Wegener was hardly the logical choice to show what they had been missing. He was a lecturer at Marburg University, not merely untenured but unsalaried, and his specialties were meteorology and astronomy, not geology.

But Wegener was not timid about disciplinary boundaries, or much else. He was an Arctic explorer and a record-setting balloonist, and when his scientific mentor and future father-in-law advised him to be cautious in his theorizing, Wegener replied, “Why should we hesitate to toss the old views overboard?”
"


_________________
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011


nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,589
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 May 2022, 4:31 pm

Heat causes water to expand some & it causes the polar icecaps to melt. The temp here in Vermont was over 90 a couple days ago. It's a very good that that global warming is only a myth instead of a reality like the god almighty is :wink: The movie Water World will never become a reality :mrgreen:


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"
~King Of The Hill


"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition


klanka
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 31 Mar 2022
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,219
Location: Cardiff, Wales

22 May 2022, 6:20 pm

It says in the bible that the windows of heaven were opened. The flat earth has water on top of the dome. So when the windows opened, loads of water fell through.

Then the water evaporated and went back up through the windows...I'm not exactly sure how :)



kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2016
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,473
Location: Missouri

22 May 2022, 6:29 pm

klanka wrote:
The flat earth has water on top of the dome.
That may be true for that Earth but that's not the Earth that either we or the Bible are talking about.


_________________
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011


Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,864
Location: Small Town From Hell

22 May 2022, 6:34 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
klanka wrote:
The flat earth has water on top of the dome.
That may be true for that Earth but that's not the Earth that either we or the Bible are talking about.


No Earth has been completed flooded at one time. It’s a myth that was based on flood myths that existed in local cultures.


_________________
Away.


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,875
Location: temperate zone

22 May 2022, 6:35 pm

klanka wrote:
It says in the bible that the windows of heaven were opened. The flat earth has water on top of the dome. So when the windows opened, loads of water fell through.

Then the water evaporated and went back up through the windows...I'm not exactly sure how :)


Water falling through the windows of heaven...plus..."the fountains of the deep". :)



Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,864
Location: Small Town From Hell

22 May 2022, 6:38 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
klanka wrote:
It says in the bible that the windows of heaven were opened. The flat earth has water on top of the dome. So when the windows opened, loads of water fell through.

Then the water evaporated and went back up through the windows...I'm not exactly sure how :)


Water falling through the windows of heaven...plus..."the fountains of the deep". :)


LOL

That’s even sillier.


_________________
Away.


Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,864
Location: Small Town From Hell

22 May 2022, 6:42 pm

At least the myth ends with a symbol of gay pride - a rainbow.


_________________
Away.


Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 13 May 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,483

22 May 2022, 6:49 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
klanka wrote:
The flat earth has water on top of the dome.
That may be true for that Earth but that's not the Earth that either we or the Bible are talking about.

We can't say that for sure.

My personal take is that the earth is round, but is relitively still and everything moves around the earth and also pushes down onto the earth, but I can't say for sure if I am right or not. Is my conclusion. That is all.



Sonic200
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Joined: 12 Jul 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 233

22 May 2022, 6:54 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
klanka wrote:
The flat earth has water on top of the dome.
That may be true for that Earth but that's not the Earth that either we or the Bible are talking about.


No Earth has been completed flooded at one time. It’s a myth that was based on flood myths that existed in local cultures.


Yes. There were some historic floods that affected the entire world that was known to the local people that lived in the area. Those people then believed that a global flood had taken place, but the floods were not actually global.

Flood myths are likely based on these real floods that seemed global to the people in the area, but weren't actually global.



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 24,205
Location: UK

22 May 2022, 6:55 pm

Noah's story wasn't real. The Bible is as fictional as Goldilocks And The Three Bears.


_________________
Female
Aged 32

Diagnosed with ADHD
Have Anxiety Disorder
Diagnosed with mild ASD but I don't identify as autistic


nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,589
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 May 2022, 6:59 pm

Sonic200 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
klanka wrote:
The flat earth has water on top of the dome.
That may be true for that Earth but that's not the Earth that either we or the Bible are talking about.


No Earth has been completed flooded at one time. It’s a myth that was based on flood myths that existed in local cultures.


Yes. There were some historic floods that affected the entire world that was known to the local people that lived in the area. Those people then believed that a global flood had taken place, but the floods were not actually global.

Flood myths are likely based on these real floods that seemed global to the people in the area, but weren't actually global.
If the people of that time really believed that those floods covered the whole planet, they would have only survived by being in boats.


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"
~King Of The Hill


"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition


Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,864
Location: Small Town From Hell

22 May 2022, 7:00 pm

nick007 wrote:
Sonic200 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
klanka wrote:
The flat earth has water on top of the dome.
That may be true for that Earth but that's not the Earth that either we or the Bible are talking about.


No Earth has been completed flooded at one time. It’s a myth that was based on flood myths that existed in local cultures.


Yes. There were some historic floods that affected the entire world that was known to the local people that lived in the area. Those people then believed that a global flood had taken place, but the floods were not actually global.

Flood myths are likely based on these real floods that seemed global to the people in the area, but weren't actually global.
If the people of that time really believed that those floods covered the whole planet, they would have only survived by being in boats.


We are all, supposedly, descendants of Noah and his incestuous brood.


_________________
Away.


kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2016
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,473
Location: Missouri

22 May 2022, 7:02 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
... the earth is round, but is relitively still and everything moves around the earth ...


If that is true then why do the observed planets in this solar system sometimes appear to move in reverse, in what is termed retrograde?

https://astronomy.com/magazine/ask-astr ... he-planets

"
Q: On page 51 of the February issue, there is a picture claiming to show Venus in retrograde. I have believed and taught for 40 years that retrograde motion only occurs with the planets beyond Earth’s orbit. So please explain how Venus could be in retrograde, or was this a mistake?

John Shonle
Amherst, New Hampshire

A: The apparent retrograde motion of planets (and other objects) on the sky is an illusion caused by the fact that objects in our solar system orbit the Sun at different distances and speeds. This is certainly easiest to picture for superior planets — those outside of Earth’s orbit — such as Mars. Earth circles the Sun every 365 days; Mars takes 687 Earth days to do the same. Our planet has a shorter path to travel, so at some point, we “catch up” to Mars and then pass it. Just as passing a slower-moving car on the highway makes that car artificially appear to move backward from your point of view, Mars appears to move backward, or retrograde, relative to the background stars for a period of time. Once your car (or our planet) has pulled far enough ahead, the retrograde motion disappears.

But as your question brings up, can this happen with the inferior planets Venus and Mercury? The answer is still yes, these planets do exhibit retrograde motion. Their retrograde motion occurs because they circle the Sun much faster than Earth and sometimes overtake our planet as they swing around our star. That same effect causes them to first pause, then move “backward” (or westward) relative to the background stars, before pausing and resuming their eastward motion.

Alison Klesman
Senior Associate Editor
"


_________________
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011