Is the internet the only place where you can pass as NT?

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Suzyb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2022, 9:42 am

Radish wrote:
I don't pass as NT anywhere when folks get to know me a little.

Hmmm I think the same applies to me.

I don’t even try and pass as NT anymore. It is too exhausting for me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 9:43 am

I don't know what I pass as but I definitely don't have any obvious autism-ness when I'm interacting with people. If I mask, I just come across as a timid and shy NT. If I don't mask I come across as a quirky NT with some mild intellectual learning difficulties. But when I don't mask, my ADHD is quite obvious. But nobody would guess Asperger's or autism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 9:45 am

I come across as being someone with many thoughts unexpressed.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 9:49 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Some folks cannot pass even on the Net because even when communication is only in text certain issues come through: like taking things literally, inability to take meaning from context, and general lack of empathy.

Why do you have to list lack of empathy down as an autistic trait?

Not lack of sympathy, but lack of empathy - or more precisely "cognative empathy".

Its listed in the DSM as a diagnostic symptom.

Where is empathy (or cognitive empathy) listed in the DSM5?

I'm not trying to challenge you NP. I'm sincerely curious because I don't see it.

Is it this? Reduced sharing of emotions?

Reduced sharing of emotions isn't necessarily anything to do with empathy.

It means Alexithymia, or not being expressive about your own emotions.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 May 2022, 10:36 am

^^^There has been quite a bit of confusion over the lack of empathy thing. There's been some posts in the L&D section in the past by women in abusive relationships who were diagnosing their guys as being autistic because they lacked empathy. There's also been some sites dedicated for bitter women in abusive relationships with Aspies & I bet that most of those Aspies were diagnosed by those women, in some cases the women may of been the real abusers & were projecting. On some other forums the words Autism & Autistic are slang words for Troll.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 11:08 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I come across as being someone with many thoughts unexpressed.

I come across as someone with many thoughts and feelings that I find difficult to hide, resulting in people commenting that I complain all the time, and I'm getting so tired of that word being said to me that I will yell at anyone who dares say it to me, unless I am actually complaining in the dictionary definition way (high-toned voice, miserable, bad opinion on everything, etc).

The lack of empathy needs to be explained better, otherwise autism just gets confused with psychopaths. I don't think autism and lack of empathy should ever be used in the same sentence because it just feeds the stigma.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 2:18 pm

I have no idea.
I'm not even sure what other people think of me, whether we communicate only through the internet or not.

I rarely get any kind of in-person comments unless someone has a teaching/custodial obligation to me.
When I ask directly, the usual answer is "you're interesting" or "you should be more serious". :|
I don't know if this is a manifestation of not seeing me as "NT".

I'm guessing everyone has some weird/unique trait that others see, I'm not even sure if I'm the one with the most. Although my mother insists it is.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 2:28 pm

Sonic200 wrote:
Do you think the internet is the only place where it is possible for you to pass as a neurotypical?
Caption: "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog."

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 10:42 am

Many if not most people on the internet have antisocial personality disorder and it shows. They are psychotic, arrogant, egotistic, misinformed, ignorant, racist, sexist, ageist, and ableist. They've made politics their one and only personality trait and love telling others to have anal sex with presidents and prime ministers. And yet *we're* the ones who aren't normal. We're the ones that they claim we have made autism our whole personality (if they think we have a personality) while they're insisting that vaccines were created by Satan or that shooting and killing people is something they would do in a second everywhere they go.

But I still won't hide my Asperger's from the world by internet. When I first started using internet in the early 2000's I was very anxious and afraid that people would find out and be horrible to me. I was afraid they would ruin my life (more so) because they aren't trolls, they're gremlins, only instead of sabotaging machinery they sabotage your life. But when I saw people being idiots about autism I ended up standing up for myself and autistic people in general because I simply can't stand the injustice, ignorance and just plain stupidity of these humans.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 2:22 am

I don't know.

I struggle with conversations online as much as I do in person. At least with online communication, there's less pressure to interact and I have more time to think (even though I still muddle my words). And no-one can see me fidgeting with my stress balls :D

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 11:12 am

Being able to leisurely recall and query information, collating logical chains and revising the wording repeatedly is definitely the advantage of online conversation.
This also covered up all kinds of small actions when I was anxious, including making inappropriate sounds. And other inconsistencies between the content and appearance.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 8:38 pm

nick007 wrote:
I can not mask as being neurotypical even on the internet...

Ditto.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 1:05 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Some folks cannot pass even on the Net because even when communication is only in text certain issues come through: like taking things literally, inability to take meaning from context, and general lack of empathy.

Why do you have to list lack of empathy down as an autistic trait?

Not lack of sympathy, but lack of empathy - or more precisely "cognative empathy".

Its listed in the DSM as a diagnostic symptom.

Where is empathy (or cognitive empathy) listed in the DSM5?

I'm not trying to challenge you NP. I'm sincerely curious because I don't see it.

Is it this? Reduced sharing of emotions?

Reduced sharing of emotions isn't necessarily anything to do with empathy.

It means Alexithymia, or not being expressive about your own emotions.

Every author of every book on the topic lists lack of cognative empathy it as a symptom. And its listed as a symptom a billion times a month on this site. So go write your own book overthrowing what every expert since Kanner has said about autism in the last seventy years.

Empathy. Not sympathy. Lack theory of mind. Being unable to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

And you definitely see that now and again on this site.

you're confusing empathy with sympathy.

Sociopaths are the opposite of autistics. Lack sympathy, but have empathy. They know how you tick, and use that knowledge to exploit you. Autistics feel sympathy for others by lack the theory of mind to understand others.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Jun 2022, 6:51 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Every author of every book on the topic lists lack of cognative empathy it as a symptom. And its listed as a symptom a billion times a month on this site. So go write your own book overthrowing what every expert since Kanner has said about autism in the last seventy years.

Empathy. Not sympathy. Lack theory of mind. Being unable to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

Sociopaths are the opposite of autistics. Lack sympathy, but have empathy. They know how you tick, and use that knowledge to exploit you. Autistics feel sympathy for others by lack the theory of mind to understand others.
It is possible for autistics to lack empathy & also lack sympathy. Some autistics have very hard lives growing up & sometimes the autistics grow up believing that nobody really cares about them or is there for them so the autistics feel they have no reason to give one flying f#ck about anyone else. I know one who is very manipulative with family & has accused family of not loving him & threatens suicide whenever he can not get his way. He knows certain family members would feel bad & give in to his demands. However he does NOT understand people in general, just certain family members.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 3:39 pm

nick007 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

It is possible for autistics to lack empathy & also lack sympathy. Some autistics have very hard lives growing up & sometimes the autistics grow up believing that nobody really cares about them or is there for them so the autistics feel they have no reason to give one flying f#ck about anyone else. I know one who is very manipulative with family & has accused family of not loving him & threatens suicide whenever he can not get his way. He knows certain family members would feel bad & give in to his demands. However he does NOT understand people in general, just certain family members.

Of course. Just like some NTs can lack sympathy, or lack affective empathy, because they were abused as kids. Or because they are Kim Jong Un, or whatever (and born into palace intrigue or whatever). But thats not part of the condition nor part of the definition of autism (or being NT either). Conditioning, not the condition.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 8:37 pm

:jester: