How do you feel about illegally downloaded movies?

Page 1 of 6 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

rosered
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 3:30 am

Do you or would you watch them?

Or do you think it should be discouraged?

I don't have a problem with it.

BigT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 3:53 am

I don't feel comfortable with the idea of doing anything illegal, I would say it should be discouraged.

darkfire627
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2007, 4:21 am

I don't mind it much. I really only download movies that I can't really find in stores though. I do this more with music and old TV shows.

xanadu
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Aug 2007, 5:01 am

Doing it sometimes, but less often than some years ago... mostly I try to find them at Blockbuster nowadays. Sometimes I buy a movie on dvd after having downloaded it. The same goes for music and software, I had a large collection of downloaded stuff for both of them, but destroyed all of it.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Aug 2007, 7:08 am

I don't download bootleg music or videos for fear of getting my computer infected with crapware.
It has happened before.

MrMark
Abstract Data Type
Abstract Data Type

12 Aug 2007, 7:09 am

I think people should pay their taxes, pay their dues, take responsibility for themselves. How would you like it if you made a movie or music for distribution and people ripped you off?

- Emerson

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 7:17 am

I have no objection to downloading clips from a movie. However, I will not download an entire movie unless it was through an official service (my ISP offers movie and TV downloads, for a price, and they are only valid for a certain period).

In terms of music, a good chunk of the music I have downloaded are either remixes (created by fans for free distribution) or fan-made (that is, not made for a CD, but made originally from an off-air recording). Most of the music I like is extremely hard to get through channels here in Australia (mostly video game OSTs), and I am picky about the tracks I like. I am seriously considering getting an iTunes voucher, though, so I can get a few more albums (like the Doctor Who new series OST).

On sabbatical...

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 7:21 am

Music, fine. Movies, give them the full DRM.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 7:31 am

Anubis wrote:
Movies, give them the full DRM.

Wha--?

On sabbatical...

UnrelentingHorror
Toucan
Toucan

12 Aug 2007, 7:34 am

I'm abit warey of downloading stuff personally after the examples some of these people have made of people, like the kid in wyoming or wherever whos family got their property taken and finances crippled as reparations for him useing Kazaa or whatever.
But hey if someone has a pirated copey I have in the past and will watch it with them. I just worey about my friends that engage in that stuff yaknow?

The bullshit thing about it is some sick pedo can go out there and rape a little girl and will get a much leaner senteance than someone caught downloading the new Batman movie.

Is that justice? I don't think so.

In case your wondering what the difference in penalty is, its almost a decade of time and a huge fine.
We went over it in a college course I took. Its terrible. (this is US law btw, I'm not trying to knock us too bad as things get overlooked, but that is one f***ed up oversight)

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 7:38 am

Quatermass wrote:
Anubis wrote:

Wha--?

Digital Rights Management.

Movies are audiovisual intellectual property, and whereas you can repeat a song anyway, you can't repeat a movie, and copying it without paying is theft. Whereas music has low production costs, films cost millions to make, and the producers need that profit to make more movies, if everyone had DVDs for free, then the film industry would collapse. As music is cheaper in comparison, there's less likelihood of that.
As for video games, give them full copy protection as well, they cost alot of time and very hard work to make.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 7:45 am

Anubis wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
Anubis wrote:

Wha--?

Digital Rights Management.

Movies are audiovisual intellectual property, and whereas you can repeat a song anyway, you can't repeat a movie, and copying it without paying is theft. Whereas music has low production costs, films cost millions to make, and the producers need that profit to make more movies, if everyone had DVDs for free, then the film industry would collapse. As music is cheaper in comparison, there's less likelihood of that.
As for video games, give them full copy protection as well, they cost alot of time and very hard work to make.

Hm. That's why Nintendo's Virtual Console System for the Wii is a good idea. As is putting emulations on relevant games discs (such as Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 on Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence).

On sabbatical...

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 7:55 am

I sample music before buying it (buying practically all the music of the band if i find a song I really like online) - therefore they are profiting more because I don't buy things without having heard if I like it first and then go in to aspie 'collect everything' mode.
As for movies I like the cinema and feel some films are just not fully appreciated unless seen for the first time on the big screen. In general dvd are so cheap that it is not worth the hassle to download pirate stuff that may be cr*p anyway so I either go to the cinema or wait for the dvd (or both if it is a good film).

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 9:28 am

No problem. There aren't too many poor movie stars.

Ed Almos

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 9:33 am

Where do you think I get my wonderful, spreaded taste in music from? ;)

:lol:

I have no problem with it.

It's only Illegal if you go off selling and flogging it off yourself, and I have no intention on doing that. :)