Do you find yourself needing a template for some things?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 6:20 pm

Does anyone here feel the need to have a kind of "template" for things even trivial like when people give advice about things to "write it down"? Like informally taking notes on a topic (could be anything like studying a complex video game mechanics)

To me, maybe it is a kind of inertia or that I am a little lazy sometimes. Some things don't really have an example form or structure.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 6:22 pm

Yes, I need a template and an interpreter for life.

I take notes even when I read fiction.

If I have to learn anything or buy anything, I'll spend hours researching and taking notes.
The silliest thing, like buying slippers online, took me about 40 hours.
Then they were wrong so I had to return them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 6:43 pm

Yes, there's a lot of little things I will sometimes struggle to know how to do 'properly'.
Of course, at least some of the time I'll impulsively do it however and worry about proper later on.

Sometimes this leads to assbackwards methods or notes that don't make sense 20 minutes after they're written though.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 6:45 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Sometimes this leads to assbackwards methods or notes that don't make sense 20 minutes after they're written though.

Yes. ^

Or, I have pages and pages of notes and instructions but can't find any of them when I need them, and I'm too impulsive to look so I do the thing without.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 6:56 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Yes. ^

Or, I have pages and pages of notes and instructions but can't find any of them when I need them, and I'm too impulsive to look so I do the thing without.

Oh jeez, I wasn't even considering the ones I lose; I was more so thinking of the ones I can no longer decode because I didn't include enough context, used shorthand I can no longer interpret, included wordplays that no longer make sense, etc.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 7:30 pm

Don't even ask about my computer files and bookmarks. ^

I invented my own shorthand in Uni but changed it all the time, so I can't read many of my notes now.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 11:22 pm

Yes, templates definitely help. It may be due to my compulsion to do things "properly". I may be able to do something without a template, but I feel my way is not the "proper" way and tend to seek examples.

When I see other people confidently do things in their own ways and produce what looks like rubbish to me, I realize there's no fixed way of doing them. I think it's to do with lack of confidence. Sometimes due to this lack of confidence to produce my own "rubbish", I am seen as stupid.