Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2022, 6:21 am

nick007 wrote:
I never liked soup & I barely liked any stews & haven't liked any since I was a teen. I'm not a fan of hot liquid thou & the only liquids I really drink are water, soda, & occasionally beer. I tend to dislike foods having a lot of liquid in them as well unless most of the water was cooked or drained out or it's something frozen like ice-cream. I always been a majorly pikcy eater & still am thou I'm not quite as bad as I used to be. Nothing wrong with others liking or loving that stuff, just not my thing.

I am not really wild about soup either (except when I am sick). In fact some folks at work and I got into a debate about the proper way to eat instant microwaveble Ramen oriental noodles. The other guy ate them (admittedly the way you're supposed to) as soup, but I was part of the crowd that eats lo mien restaurant style (like Italian spaghetti) on a flat plate, and so prefers to pour out the liquid and just eat the noodles like you would out of soup pasta.

But I did used to have the bad habit wolfing down food too fast, and putting myself into a food coma. And soup both slows your eating, and dilutes the content in water. So there is that.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2022, 6:24 am

I find soup to be more filling. And it's really cheap as well.

I would also have to drain all the water off noodles.

The Bride
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jul 2022, 1:54 pm

I make THE BEST lentil soup!! ! It's my go-to during the fall and winter months - though I have to drain off all the liquid when I serve it for dinner to my husband. He does not like soup for some reason, though if it's more of a stew consistency he'll eat it.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 2:19 pm

I was at Asda this afternoon, and noticed they had a 400g tin of 'Smart Price' tomato soup for 30p. I bought it and have just finished it, accompanied by a slice of toast.

Verdict: Definitely worth 30p - take that any way you will!

I also noticed that Baxter's soups are now £1.60 per tin at Asda. They're good, but not that good. They were around 65p per tin a few years ago. I wish people would refuse to pay these ludicrous effing prices, then maybe Audrey Baxter would have to do some serious thinking.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 11:27 am

Must look into that

I'm not too fond of cuppa soup. I mean I get the convenience of them and all that but they just don't hit the spot for me

I'm having soup tonight

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 11:31 am

The Bride wrote:
I make THE BEST lentil soup!! ! It's my go-to during the fall and winter months - though I have to drain off all the liquid when I serve it for dinner to my husband. He does not like soup for some reason, though if it's more of a stew consistency he'll eat it.
The Philippines has a soup called Ginisang Munggo (pictured below), which is their version of a thickened Lentil Soup.

Ginisang Munggo Recipe 

:D Sarap!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 12:32 pm

Yum yum

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 3:33 pm

I've just been to Asda again, and bought three 'Smart Price' tins of tomato soup (£0.30 each), plus one of their regular range 'Cream of Tomato Soup' (£0.50) for comparison purposes. I'll be reporting on my impressions in due course.

:chef:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 7:04 am

Anyone ever try sharks fin soup?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 12:47 pm

Is that real

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 1:56 pm

yes. Its a Chinese dish.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 2:04 pm

I bet its lovely

Chuckster
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jul 2022, 2:17 pm

Sorry to be a party pooper, but it's banned in many places for a good reason. And not just because of its mercury content:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 014-9598-3

And its BMAA content.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3297012/

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 2:29 pm

Illegal soup

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 10:16 am

When I was a kid my mother never understood why I'd eat Campbell's soup but couldn't tolerate her home made leftover turkey tomato vegetable-type soup. But as an adult I really like her Italian Wedding soup. We had it when we used to eat at Eastside Mario's and really liked it, so my mom found a recipe online so she can make it herself.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 6:51 pm

I've just tried Asda's 'Cream Of Tomato Soup' (the more expensive 50p can) and it's different from the budget-priced 30p version (thicker, richer, as you might expect), but I wouldn't call it better. But anyway, both of these are excellent value, and can be the basis of a very filling and tasty meal if you have them with a muffin or a slice of bread.