Go with the cheaper option, or the more expensive option?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jul 2022, 6:28 pm

Well basically, what I wanted to talk to you about this time, is if you think generally we should go with the cheaper option, or the more expensive option? And would you say it depends on personal opinion, taste, choices, and so on. I think so yes, but I'm not sure how or why. Also, if I want to buy something and there is a more expensive but more higher quality thing, I'm not sure if its worth the extra money. Sometimes yes, sometimes not, it can be hard to tell. But not just about buying something, but also about the general worth of something. Like, I used to be quite confused about if I need a more expensive car which is of higher quality material / name / product, but it still does the same thing - its a car, you are driving, it takes you to places, its a method of transportation. So the end result is it serves the same purpose, but the luxury makes it more expensive. I always thought its kind of unnecessary to spend extra money on that, even for rich people who for them its not a big expense.

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 6:46 pm

Pay once for quality; pay twice for crap.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 6:52 pm

I generally prefer quality stuff within reason.

I buy well-made furniture because it lasts, but I wouldn’t buy designer furniture because then you’re paying more for the name.

I guess it does depend on the product, though. I’d rather buy an expensive piano than an expensive car because I’m interested in pianos but not cars.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 6:57 pm

For me, it depends on taste. I have a good eye for nice things, and they aren't all expensive. If I were rich, then I likely would buy luxury items, as the cut and quality of materials is usually perfect (thinking of clothing and accessories here).

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 7:27 pm

It really depends, like for instance I mostly buy food at King Soopers/Kroger and for a lot of things the generic kroger brand is just as good if not better than some more expensive food brands. Their siracha sauce sucks though compared to the Huy Fong brand, so I pay more for that one.

Of course that's just hot sauce which isn't very expensive either way. For bigger things like furniture, some electronics, shoes, appliances and other important stuff I find it is better to pay for something better quality than something of bad quality that you'll just have to replace in a shorter amount of time.

Though sometimes when money is tight I do have to settle for worse quality. Like the first toaster me and my boyfriend got was very cheap and low quality(it was the cheapest one they had at wal-mart) but it's what we could afford at the time. I've since replaced it with a better one that was a bit more expensive but so far it was worth it, I actually look forward to toasting my english muffin, bagel or toast in the morning now rather than dreading it.

As for clothes I have a cheat for that kind of, you can get higher quality clothes for cheap if you go to the thrift store or browse around clearance sections of more expensive clothing stores. Not to say I never get cheap clothes from places like walmart but I like to have some better-quality stuff in my wardrobe.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 7:43 pm

If money wasn't an object, I'd go with the more expensive option.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 8:05 pm

Lots of times there's a disconnect between quality and price, so research should probably be undertaken if one is the frugal or poor sort. I buy quality, and if quality can be had for cheaper, I go with that.