It is "Dr Pepper", not "Dr. Pepper"

Page 5 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,641
Location: England

08 Aug 2022, 11:07 am

Mister DanielW and Mistress KitLily.

You bow and I will curtsey :lol: :lol:


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2019
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 848
Location: PNW USA

08 Aug 2022, 11:10 am

:D

Do you know if its true that the rule is "Her majesty" when speaking to the queen the first time and the Ma'am (pronounced like ham) each time after that?

:D



KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,641
Location: England

08 Aug 2022, 11:25 am

DanielW wrote:
:D

Do you know if its true that the rule is "Her majesty" when speaking to the queen the first time and the Ma'am (pronounced like ham) each time after that?

:D


These people agree with you, they are the authority: https://debretts.com/royal-family/addre ... al-family/

When are you next meeting the Queen then? :wink:


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2019
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 848
Location: PNW USA

08 Aug 2022, 11:33 am

KitLily wrote:
DanielW wrote:
:D

Do you know if its true that the rule is "Her majesty" when speaking to the queen the first time and the Ma'am (pronounced like ham) each time after that?

:D


These people agree with you, they are the authority: https://debretts.com/royal-family/addre ... al-family/

When are you next meeting the Queen then? :wink:


I must try to arrange an audience so we can get these pesky language variants under control and I wouldn't want to make a bad first impression (especially when I lobby for the American version) :D



KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,641
Location: England

08 Aug 2022, 11:44 am

DanielW wrote:
I must try to arrange an audience so we can get these pesky language variants under control and I wouldn't want to make a bad first impression (especially when I lobby for the American version) :D


Perhaps you could be knighted. Then the full stops wouldn't matter because you'd be Sir Daniel. 8)

The American version does make more sense a lot of the time, I agree. Color/colour etc.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2019
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 848
Location: PNW USA

08 Aug 2022, 2:55 pm

KitLily wrote:
DanielW wrote:
I must try to arrange an audience so we can get these pesky language variants under control and I wouldn't want to make a bad first impression (especially when I lobby for the American version) :D


Perhaps you could be knighted. Then the full stops wouldn't matter because you'd be Sir Daniel. 8)

The American version does make more sense a lot of the time, I agree. Color/colour etc.


I would be confused for the Scholar in Residence for sure (SIR). :D



KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,641
Location: England

09 Aug 2022, 5:51 am

DanielW wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Perhaps you could be knighted. Then the full stops wouldn't matter because you'd be Sir Daniel. 8)

The American version does make more sense a lot of the time, I agree. Color/colour etc.


I would be confused for the Scholar in Residence for sure (SIR). :D


Oh dear, another confusion :lol: Perhaps just be 'Daniel', a one named person like Madonna, Cher etc.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2019
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 848
Location: PNW USA

09 Aug 2022, 6:12 am

KitLily wrote:
DanielW wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Perhaps you could be knighted. Then the full stops wouldn't matter because you'd be Sir Daniel. 8)

The American version does make more sense a lot of the time, I agree. Color/colour etc.


I would be confused for the Scholar in Residence for sure (SIR). :D


Oh dear, another confusion :lol: Perhaps just be 'Daniel', a one named person like Madonna, Cher etc.


Perfect :D



KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,641
Location: England

09 Aug 2022, 6:35 am

DanielW wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Oh dear, another confusion :lol: Perhaps just be 'Daniel', a one named person like Madonna, Cher etc.


Perfect :D


I'll say, 'Good afternoon, your Majesty. May I introduce you to Daniel?' She will say, 'Daniel who?' And I'll say 'he's just called Daniel. A unique person.' She will say, 'good afternoon, Daniel.' And we will all have tea 8)


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,871
Location: Aux Arcs

09 Aug 2022, 11:13 am

I have an old vintage Dr Pepper bottle and there is no period.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2021
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,547
Location: US

09 Aug 2022, 1:27 pm

Image



KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,641
Location: England

11 Aug 2022, 5:17 am

I must say, arguing about punctuation and grammar is one of my favourite things. :thumright:


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,871
Location: Aux Arcs

11 Aug 2022, 10:12 am

Image


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2019
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 848
Location: PNW USA

11 Aug 2022, 10:18 am

Whether or not there is a "." is dependent on the font being used at the time. The Trademark is and has always been "Dr. Pepper" however.



Sonic200
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Joined: 12 Jul 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 235

13 Aug 2022, 1:32 pm

I don't know who Dr Pepper is. However, there was a singer who claimed to be Mellow Yellow.

"They call me mellow yellow."



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,871
Location: Aux Arcs

13 Aug 2022, 2:37 pm

About that.
https://www.cleveland.com/music/2013/09 ... uesti.html


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi