Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 11:46 am

Why is it that posting umpteen pics of how beautiful/handsome you are,on social media', can get you loads of positive comments, but showing you're far from the total idiot some think you are is socially unacceptable?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 3:24 pm

You will hafta flesh this out with examples in order for us to understand what you are asking.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 3:52 pm

I give up!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 9:56 pm

Most people judge by looks than by content.People are superficial.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:05 am

Misslizard wrote:
Most people judge by looks than by content.People are superficial.

Yes. Years ago I foolishly joined a 'rate my looks' group that was set up for those taking part in an UK depression ng. Everyone else was rating each other 7-8+. I got rated 4.8 . If looks is the primary means of judging a person I'm a miserable failure.
It takes a lot nowadays for me to post a photo with me in it.

You can openly say you're crap at a lot of things,and that's OK. However show you're quite good at something,to try and counter feelings of inadequacy,and that's regarded as socially unacceptable.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 3:08 am

Depends on how it's done as to how it's perceived.

Could be interpreted as being a show off or know-it-all, or as arrogance.

Without seeing exactly what was put on display for others and how they reacted it's hard to say and I can only speculate by giving the few examples above of how sharing something might go awry.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 4:33 am

I'm quite open about my cognitive strengths and weaknesses. Perhaps too much so. I'll just as easily post something like this-

as post this- Image

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 10:33 am

I posted some scores before, perhaps some might think it was bragging.I had a second grade teacher that told me I was too stupid to learn to read and removed me from the reading circle in front of all the other kids.A few years on I could read faster than anyone else and scored almost perfect in reading comprehension and was nominated for the Talented and Gifted program.
Possibly in some way I still believe that about myself and need to prove otherwise.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 11:52 am

Some compliments I've received.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 12:15 pm

I find you to be intelligent , articulate and a good all around person.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 12:20 pm

Aaah.

I comprehend your reasoning for sharing it, as you've explained yourself.. but 100% guaranteed the negative reception by some others is that they interpret it as unnecessary bragging/arrogance.

Better to share about problems you've solved, things you've designed/created, or academic achievements than IQ scores as people are put off by apples to apples quantifiable score comparisons that they can't likely measure up to.

Posts like:

"This was quite the tough nut to crack, it took ages.. but, eventually I learned ____ and figured out ____ and determined that ____. I'm happy I persevered instead of giving up as learning the things I did and coming up with a solution is very satisfying!"

or

"ABC was a problem. I decided to tackle it. It may have taken me 2 years and umpteen attempts, but XYZ is the solution I came up with. Check it out: *insert photo*. I'm calling it my final design, but I know it's just a working prototype. Are there any improvements you'd make to it? I'm open to suggestions as this is as far as I could take it on my own.

or

I wasn't so sure I was keeping as sharp as I used to be so over the last year I undertook some studies, stuck to it, and have now completed a certificate in _____ that I'm quite proud of. Hopefully I can be an inspiration to others to never stop learning even in their later years!

People are stupid. They prefer that others be much humbler so they don't feel so stupid themselves. Unwritten social rules.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:50 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Aaah.

I comprehend your reasoning for sharing it, as you've explained yourself.. but 100% guaranteed the negative reception by some others is that they interpret it as unnecessary bragging/arrogance.

Better to share about problems you've solved, things you've designed/created, or academic achievements than IQ scores as people are put off by apples to apples quantifiable score comparisons that they can't likely measure up to.

I was a mediocre student. I've never designed anything. I find it very difficult to construct anything.

goldfish21 wrote:
I wasn't so sure I was keeping as sharp as I used to be so over the last year I undertook some studies, stuck to it, and have now completed a certificate in _____ that I'm quite proud of. Hopefully I can be an inspiration to others to never stop learning even in their later years!

There's some truth to worrying about cognitive decline. It's quite common in schizophrenic people of my age due to the reported greater likelihood of developing dementia.I joined a FB group discussing high range IQ tests; to see how I could do on some of the tests that were mentioned. I did reasonably OK.I can't deny that worrying about cognitive decline was a partial reason for joining.

Due to trauma related bullying I've avoided doing any classes in a bricks and mortar setting. I did try doing a history A level correspondence course at the end of 1975 and beginning of 1976, but it was too much too soon. Thus there are no certificates of the kind you mean.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:56 pm

Most people are into looks instead of brains. It's pretty stupid when you think about it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:57 pm

Really.....what do you care what strangers on the Internet who don't know you think about you?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Sep 2022, 5:23 pm

People in general tend to pay attention to idiots if the idiots are acting wild & crazy & having fun or if idiot guys have strong personalities & are bullies or idiot women are hot. Look at the way idiot celebrities get admired & idiot politians win elections. So many profesionals these days are know-it-alls that have no common sense to actually perform their jobs well or don't give a rat's a$$ about performing their jobs well yet are able to keep their jobs. Whereas profesionals who really care, listen, & try to do rite tend to be treated like $hit by their employers & work colleagues & get forced out. The stupidest people who are domenating & take charge are quickly promoted to management.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 6:16 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I find you to be intelligent , articulate and a good all around person.

Thank you.