Page 11 of 15 [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 4:47 pm

I love falcons.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Sep 2022, 5:17 pm

KitLily wrote:
I've heard them already saying 'the king', and lots of other people saying it too. Times they are a-changing... :?
True, at last. I've heard "King Charles" and "The King" more frequently - even on the BBC.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Sep 2022, 5:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Charles II looks eerily like Charles III
Which reminds me of a story -

The Queen was in Windsor Great Park when a member of the public (yes, unmanaged chance meetings with the great unwashed did happen) said to her: "Ooh, I don't mean to be funny but you really look like the Queen".
Her response? "How terribly reassuring."

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 9:43 pm

Cornflake wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Charles II looks eerily like Charles III
Which reminds me of a story -

The Queen was in Windsor Great Park when a member of the public (yes, unmanaged chance meetings with the great unwashed did happen) said to her: "Ooh, I don't mean to be funny but you really look like the Queen".
Her response? "How terribly reassuring."

Extraordinary! I always thought she never ventured outside the palace without a retinue of armed bodyguards?
I suspect the only person other than Phillip to see Liz without her makeup was Michael Fagan when he broke into her palace bedroom back in 1982.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 9:46 pm

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 9:47 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
In this portrait I think King Charles II looks a lot like Vincent Price:

cyberdad wrote:
Oh yes, with my spectacles on there is a difference. Probably just the nose and ears that resonated.

What image is there of Charles II where his ears can be seen?

The image I saw of Charles II was stylised. In this one he certainly looks different but is that a wig he's wearing?

It's a wig. But in all the portraits I've seen of him, even ones of him as a child, if he wasn't in a wig he had really long hair covering his ears. It's like exposed ears were taboo back then.

I'm guessing this had something to do with warding off headlice. HRH could strut around the court displaying long flowing curly locks like some type of Romano-Grecian deity and take of their hair piece at night where the night servants would busily remove the lice with tweezers.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

17 Sep 2022, 4:04 am

cyberdad wrote:
Extraordinary! I always thought she never ventured outside the palace without a retinue of armed bodyguards?
Apparently she could often be seen in the park driving her Land Rover or out walking.

I don't think she was too fond of armed bodyguards or intrusive security arrangements - in all the shots I've seen of her in a Land Rover there was either no-one else present, a family member, a guest, or castle/grounds staff. Unlike American presidents there was no armour plating and no trail of ominous black vehicles.

When out walking there may have been an armed plain-clothes policeman not too far away, near enough to be useful if needed.
He never was.

Quote:
I suspect the only person other than Phillip to see Liz without her makeup was Michael Fagan when he broke into her palace bedroom back in 1982.
Plus one:
BBC News wrote:
Mr Hillyard recalled his memorable first meeting with Queen Elizabeth II when, while trying to deal with a technical fault, he accidentally disturbed her Corgis.

"I walked across the lounge easing these little soft balls of fur out of the way and just as I got to the corridor the door opened and Her Majesty stood there in her curlers and her nightdress," he said.

"I apologised profusely and explained my presence and Her Majesty was most understanding.

"[She was] a charming lady, [with] a wicked sense of humour, [a] very inquisitive, warm, welcoming person."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-62899637

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 4:37 am

Cornflake wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Apparently she could often be seen in the park driving her Land Rover or out walking.

I don't think she was too fond of armed bodyguards or intrusive security arrangements - in all the shots I've seen of her in a Land Rover there was either no-one else present, a family member, a guest, or castle/grounds staff. Unlike American presidents there was no armour plating and no trail of ominous black vehicles.

I once worked with a person from Manchester who once had a job in the local Manchester museum. She told me that 3 months prior to a visit from the queen in the 1990s the whole museum was scoped by members of MI5 and they had plans of all entry points into and out of the museum. No stone was left unturned if it posed a risk to HRH. When the day came for her visit, she wasn't flanked by security (as is her style) but there were armed security covertly place all over the museum.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 5:49 am

I think she met people all the time, she was often incognito in a coat and headscarf in Scotland.

There is a story about how she and an assistant were out walking somewhere and met some American tourists, they asked her assistant if he'd ever met the Queen and he said he knew her pretty well. The Americans they got the Queen to take a photo of him with them to show their friends back home, and they took a photo of the Queen with the assistant.

She thought it was funny because no doubt someone back home would tell them what really happened! There is a video going round on social media with the assistant talking about this experience.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

17 Sep 2022, 6:07 am

cyberdad wrote:
She told me that 3 months prior to a visit from the queen in the 1990s the whole museum was scoped by members of MI5 and they had plans of all entry points into and out of the museum. No stone was left unturned if it posed a risk to HRH. When the day came for her visit, she wasn't flanked by security (as is her style) but there were armed security covertly place all over the museum.
Pre-screening and covert armed security, sure.
But following her around in Windsor Great Park? Nope.

Typical sightings:

Mind you, she does have quite a big back yard -

The reason why it's called "The Long Walk" should be clear. :wink:

KitLily wrote:
... they asked her assistant if he'd ever met the Queen and he said he knew her pretty well. The Americans they got the Queen to take a photo of him with them to show their friends back home, and they took a photo of the Queen with the assistant.
:lol: I bet she loved that sort of thing.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 6:09 am

Cornflake wrote:
KitLily wrote:
... they asked her assistant if he'd ever met the Queen and he said he knew her pretty well. The Americans they got the Queen to take a photo of him with them to show their friends back home, and they took a photo of the Queen with the assistant.

There are so many stories floating around at the moment about people's experiences of meeting her. Fun times!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 6:25 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
In this portrait I think King Charles II looks a lot like Vincent Price:

cyberdad wrote:
Oh yes, with my spectacles on there is a difference. Probably just the nose and ears that resonated.

What image is there of Charles II where his ears can be seen?

The image I saw of Charles II was stylised. In this one he certainly looks different but is that a wig he's wearing?

It's a wig. But in all the portraits I've seen of him, even ones of him as a child, if he wasn't in a wig he had really long hair covering his ears. It's like exposed ears were taboo back then.

I'm guessing this had something to do with warding off headlice. HRH could strut around the court displaying long flowing curly locks like some type of Romano-Grecian deity and take of their hair piece at night where the night servants would busily remove the lice with tweezers.

That was the style back then. LOOOONG dark wigs (or real hair). There is a Rembrandt painting of a "convention of physicians" a dozen dignitaries of medicine in a room, and they all had that long hair thing.

In fact that is how the two sides IDed each other during the English Civil War. The two sides were known as "the Round Heads", and "the Cavaliers". The former shaved their heads, the later had that long hair do or wig.

Apparently long hair was associated with 'the establishment' and with "the aristocracy". And rebels had shaved heads.

The opposite of the late 20th Century.

A Century later they were wearing short wigs. And the wigs were powdered white. So All guys (old or young) looked old, and mature, and looked like they had gravatas. And thats was the look of America's Founding Fathers (Washington, Jefferson, Adams, et al).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 6:02 am

Cornflake wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
She told me that 3 months prior to a visit from the queen in the 1990s the whole museum was scoped by members of MI5 and they had plans of all entry points into and out of the museum. No stone was left unturned if it posed a risk to HRH. When the day came for her visit, she wasn't flanked by security (as is her style) but there were armed security covertly place all over the museum.
Pre-screening and covert armed security, sure.
But following her around in Windsor Great Park? Nope.

Typical sightings:

Mind you, she does have quite a big back yard -

The reason why it's called "The Long Walk" should be clear. :wink:

KitLily wrote:

There's a sniper somewhere in the bushes

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 6:05 am

naturalplastic wrote:
A Century later they were wearing short wigs. And the wigs were powdered white. So All guys (old or young) looked old, and mature, and looked like they had gravatas. And thats was the look of America's Founding Fathers (Washington, Jefferson, Adams, et al).

Apparently it went out of fashion among the newly emerging middle class in the 1800s. In America at least it was associated with decadence and the British imperialism.

Probably the same thing happened in other British colonies

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Sep 2022, 8:58 am

cyberdad wrote:
There's a sniper somewhere in the bushes
Too late! :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 9:06 am

She'll be able to take her Corgis for the long walk in Heaven.

I wonder if Charles will have a red crown or a blue crown.