Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 11:31 pm

Is there an easy way to deposit a check? I keep forgetting to mail my checks, I’m not very good at it, the checks are life insurance from my mom, I can’t deposit online at my bank, I have SSI.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 3:53 pm

Whenever I get a check, I always use an ATM to deposit it, so go to your bank and
ask for help in regards to using an ATM.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 4:31 am

If you don’t want to go to a bank, you could go to places where they cash checks for a fee.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Sep 2022, 3:13 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Whenever I get a check, I always use an ATM to deposit it, so go to your bank and
ask for help in regards to using an ATM.
I didn't know you could do that with ATMs but I guess I'm not surprised. Some banks(& I think PayPal) have apps where you can take pix of your checks to deposit them but they may take a couple extra days to process & clear. I never tried that thou.

Kitty4670 wrote:
Is there an easy way to deposit a check? I keep forgetting to mail my checks, I’m not very good at it, the checks are life insurance from my mom, I can’t deposit online at my bank, I have SSI.
Life Insurance companies usually report beneficiary checks to the IRS for tax purposes. Social Security Administration could potentially find out if your the beneficiary of the policy. Hypothetically if your sister was the beneficiary & not you, she would be able to give you your share under the table in cash or something without SSA finding out. When I was on SSI & got checks that were not from employment(birthdays, Christmas, rebate checks & such) I always cashed them at my bank just in case SSA would look at my bank deposits.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 7:44 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you don’t want to go to a bank, you could go to places where they cash checks for a fee.

I can’t walk too good

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 7:50 pm

You asked the same question in a thread last year.
We gave a lot of advice back then.

What did you end up doing last time?

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 8:02 pm

nick007 wrote:
Life Insurance companies usually report beneficiary checks to the IRS for tax purposes. Social Security Administration could potentially find out if your the beneficiary of the policy.

That why I needed to keep receipts. The checks are from my mom.

Quote:
When I was on SSI & got checks that were not from employment(birthdays, Christmas, rebate checks & such) I always cashed them at my bank just in case SSA would look at my bank deposits.

I cashed them out too at the bank then deposit them when I could walk. I’m asking cuz I can’t walk too long.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 1:32 pm

Maybe you should switch banks to one that has deposit via phone pic on their app?

My bank offers that but I've never used it and not sure if I'd have to go into my bank to set it up or anything. My friend with an account at the same bank uses it. You just snap a picture of the cheque with your phone and upload it through their app and the money gets deposited - no need to go to an ATM or bank branch teller for deposits.

So, you might have to go there once if it's not a feature already set up in your online banking app, or go change banks once etc - but once you have things set up you can do things from your phone at home and it won't matter if you can't get out to a bank.

Although, if you Have To go out to a bank, it's a good reason to get out and force yourself to get a little exercise, so could be a good thing to have to go to a bank once in a while.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 6:27 pm

I deposit cheques on my phone all the time.
I think Kitty's issue is that she doesn't want her bank to know about the deposits.
She has an income limit because of disability / SSI.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 7:02 pm

That’s why I suggested the “check cashing place.”

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 9:01 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Maybe you should switch banks to one that has deposit via phone pic on their app?

My bank offers that but I've never used it and not sure if I'd have to go into my bank to set it up or anything. My friend with an account at the same bank uses it. You just snap a picture of the cheque with your phone and upload it through their app and the money gets deposited - no need to go to an ATM or bank branch teller for deposits.

So, you might have to go there once if it's not a feature already set up in your online banking app, or go change banks once etc - but once you have things set up you can do things from your phone at home and it won't matter if you can't get out to a bank.

Although, if you Have To go out to a bank, it's a good reason to get out and force yourself to get a little exercise, so could be a good thing to have to go to a bank once in a while.

My bank has it, I can’t used it cuz I’m on SSI.

You can set it up on your app.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 9:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That’s why I suggested the “check cashing place.”

Could work.

Or get a friend to give you cash for it and they deposit it in their account. Then there are no cheque cashing place fees.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 9:08 pm

I deposit mine with my phone...Its not necessary to leave the house to make a deposit anymore. If you can't deposit online for some reason, you can still use an nearby ATM. If you get them regularly, you should just set up a regular electronic deposit. Most businesses don't mail checks anymore.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 5:30 am

I feel like Kitty doesn’t want the SSI people to know she’s getting those insurance checks. If she deposits the check at the bank, or cashes the check at the bank, they’ll be a record of the transaction that the SSI people could see. This would lead to them reducing her SSI benefits.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 8:24 am

if these payments are substantial and from the estate of a relative, they should go into a Special Needs Trust. That way it cannot be counted as income.

Besides, any bank account or Check cashing facility, etc. will automatically report deposits to the government so its not like anythings being hidden. All that's happening is delaying the possibility of being charged with benefit fraud.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 8:43 am

I wish I had a cheque to deposit.