What would you do if you woke up in 1965? My favourite year.

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 8:32 am

If I woke up in the month of September, I'd buy myself a colour TV on the 15th so it could be set up for the debut of Hogan's Heroes two nights later. I'd have a portable record player so I could listen to The Kinks wherever I went. I'd also let my friends use the portable turntable to listen to their favourite bands. I'd have a full-time job at a flea market in San Francisco selling my handmade beads to beatniks and emerging hippies and making a fortune, six days a week.

What would you do?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 8:39 am

My brother was born in September 1965.

He grew up watching Hogan's Heroes.

I'd likely spend my time babysitting him and hanging out on my parents' boat.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 8:45 am

I would make sure to witness (perhaps on television) - Winston Churchill's funeral.

I would attempt to get a full time job and try to buy property as it was dirt cheap back then versus today's silly prices, and then would become wealthy by simply accruing unearned house value according to 'the market'.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 11:00 pm

Honestly, I'd probably roam around claiming I'm from the future while people would think I've become some sort of lunatic. But then they would have to believe it based on the clothing I'm wearing and possibly carrying a mobile phone. Those weren't so much invented then.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 11:07 pm

if i was my age then, i'd likely go "OH NO!!" but if i was my age now, i'd go "OH GOD NO!! !! !"

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 5:57 am

Buy a few '58 or '59 sunburst Les Pauls and stash them under a metaphorical bed.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 6:05 am

If I woke up as the 7- or 8-year old me, I would make every minute of that last great and happy year of my life count.

I would also try to warn a family about letting their daughter out of the house on the night she would otherwise be raped and murdered.  Then I would wait the 2 years (to 1967) and do whatever I had to so that the rape/murder never happened, even if it meant going to prison myself.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2023, 3:57 am

Well, I did wake up in 1965. It happened 365 times. I was 12 years old mostly. I got forced to have a haircut which compromised my attempts to grow a Beatle hairstyle (mother's fault). Saw a newspaper in the barbers shop saying Malcolm X had been shot. Didn't know who he was. Floundering in most subjects at school, but OK with English. Poor progress with Latin. I was dragged along to see The Sound Of Music which I didn't much enjoy. I watched Doctor Who (first screening of the William Hartnell stories) and season 4 of Steptoe And Son on TV. I read a sci-fi comic called TV 21. Saw London for the first time. My parents took me to Rome by train and ferry for the summer holiday (first time I left England, and last time until 1979). A teenager called Carlo had a record player and a stack of Beatles' singles. Once I'd played with that I was obsessed with getting one, but that didn't happen till late in the year. First records were "I Feel Fine," "Day Tripper," and "Tired of Waiting For You." The sound quality was much better than the poxy tape recorder my sister owned but at least we managed to bootleg a borrowed copy of Rubber Soul with that.

If I could go back, I don't think there's was anything much I could or would do any different. I guess I'd at least know my rotten school performance was ASD not brain damage like I thought at the time. There'd still be no help for it, but I'd know things would get a lot better so I'd be less worried. And I hope I'd be glad to get all those years of life back to have another shot at.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2023, 4:15 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
I would make sure to witness (perhaps on television) - Winston Churchill's funeral.

I saw a bit of that on TV but was annoyed because they'd cancelled the kids' programmes for it. Didn't know who he was, and the broadcast quality in those days was poor. It all looked very dreary and pompous to me, just blurred black & white footage of a coffin going along some roads lined with people. Kids don't get much out of these things so I toddled off and found something else to do.

jennyishere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 2:11 am

Like ToughDiamond, I also woke up every day in 1965. I was mostly three years old, and the only thing I can remember from that year was having my photo taken with my baby sister. I remember the (unfamiliar male) photographer asking me to take my shoes off. It's my earliest memory.

Not really an exciting year for me, although I was probably very happy.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 3:54 am

Was ten that year.

We moved to a new house. While moving stuff in our car we drove for the first time on the brand new Washington Beltway.

Much happened in the news. The Watts riots took place. The first big riot of the Sixties. We had been involved in Vietnam, but 64 and 65 is when we escalated it into a major land war.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 10:25 am

If I had the money to do so, I would go on a shopping spree at Shelby American. It was one of their best years. There is a particular 427 Cobra Dragonsnake (1 of 5 built) that would be near the top of the list. If you have see the movie Ford vs. Ferrari, it was a way more potent version of the car Carrol Shelby drove around town. Nowadays they sell in the several million dollar range, if not ten + million. Competition Shelby Mustang GT 350-Rs would also be on the list, as would GT40s.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 11:05 am

A year of great classic cars. Great classic music. Including music ABOUT cars.
The Mustang first came out in 1965.

https://youtu.be/E6CQ8DRWGN4

But the best version of the song didnt come out until '66.

https://youtu.be/16u6w0cjjrU

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 11:33 am

I would probably try to go back to sleep.

TikvaBall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Dec 2023, 12:04 pm

I'd get to watch Days of Our Lives from the beginning, and I'd go to see Floyd Cramer play live and maybe get to meet him. Unfortunately I'd probably make an idiot out of myself in front of him, lol.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 1:12 pm

Written by P.F. Sloan in 1965, the best known version of the song "Eve of Destruction" by Barry McGuire came out later that year.

https://youtu.be/qfZVu0alU0I

Makes ya wonder...if we ALL...havent gone through a time warp. Maybe we all really HAVE woken up in 1965. 8O

The lyrics are all too timely now.