Ever wonder if you'll get killed using mundane objects?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 12:19 am

For example, whenever I'm brushing my teeth I wonder if I'll accidentally jam the toothbrush down my throat, and when I try to pull it back out the bristles will prevent me from doing so, and I'll choke to death. I don't have too strong a gag reflex.

Or I'm using a long stick to poke stuffing into a handmade doll I'm working on, and I accidentally stab myself in the eye and it goes into my brain.

Or I'm cutting something with scissors, and somehow I end up getting them lodged right into my neck and then my jugular blood spurts out all over the place until I die.

8O

I don't know, it's just some weird Darwinian image that flashes through my mind but doesn't stop me from using such things.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 1:18 am

I get thoughts like those from time to time.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 1:52 am

When they were growing up I never let my kids eat anything when walking, especially lollies. I had fears of them jamming the stick in their throat or the roof of their mouth if they fell, the same way you picture toothbrushes. I'm always afraid of hard candies as choking hazards too.

I chew pen caps to death and I'm always worried I'll choke on one of the little shards I bite off.

I also have an issue where I always think things will fall on someone's head and kill them. When I put things in the pantry, all glass jars or heavy cans have to be at the very bottom in case they fall out from a higher shelf and kill one of my pets or smash a person's foot. Likewise I won't put anything heavy on the fireplace mantel or anywhere that it could fall and hurt a pet. I really hate exposed shelving and often leave it bare.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 3:04 am

A bit of defensive thinking always helps, so being aware of these things is a good idea.

For myself, as I’m not steady on my feet, I’m worried about falling down the stairs and I’m very aware of trip hazards. Can’t always be 100% aware of where I’m putting my feet, though, the concentration fries my brain.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 4:51 am

I have similar thoughts when using a chainsaw to cut down a tall tree. So many ways to get mangled or crushed. It does help focus the mind though and allows you to mitigate against disaster.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 5:53 am

I've read some news articles and watched YouTube videos on such incidents. I love reading/watching gruesome accident stories/documentaries. These things do happen.

- A child died from falling while sucking on a stick lolly. The stick stabbed and reached its brain.

- A person was using a chainsaw, accidentally cut its (their) own thigh and bled to death.

- Someone's head got stuck between the elevator (lift) doors and it (they) got decapitated.

- Someone was turned into minced meat by an escalator.

There are lots of fascinating stories like those. If you look for those on YouTube, you'll easily find them.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 6:07 am

^ :lol: Made me think of the film Final Destination.

I have such thoughts when chopping vegetables or crossing a road (I'm very clumsy).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 6:15 am

Radish wrote:
I have similar thoughts when using a chainsaw to cut down a tall tree. So many ways to get mangled or crushed. It does help focus the mind though and allows you to mitigate against disaster.

Gosh.
you're the opposite of the OP. She is terrified that her toothbrush will kill her.

You 'occasionally' worry about chainsaws and falling trees.

Chainsaws are intrinsically dangerous (and loud and scary). A falling trees are intrinsically dangerous.

So that is double danger. In fact you're a bit insane to be cutting down trees like that without hiring a professional crew to cut down your trees for you.

Chainsaws and falling trees are not in the same category as objects of fear as ... toothbrushes. :lol:

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 6:44 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Gosh.
you're the opposite of the OP. She is terrified that her toothbrush will kill her.

I grew up on a farm surrounded by dangers. I used to throw asbestos onto raging garden fires and watch it explode. My father used to use a massive table saw to cut railway sleepers up for logs. The noise was horrific and the blade massive. I used to ride on the back of a bailing machine around the fields until I got my knee into a spiky mechanism and needed the hospital and stitches. I got fried on electric cattle fences more times than was healthy. Kicked and trampled by cows. Nearly drowned in a silo filling with grain while I was inside it... coughed up black phlegm for days after. Accidentally split my head using a bill-hook to chop off a tree branch. I made a flying trapeze like they have in the circuses in the barn... and fell to the ground, had to crawl back to the house and my mother told me off for getting blood on the floor.

I guess I'm a little less worried about minor objects being out to kill me now.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 7:19 am

^ :lol:

I want the movie rights.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 7:27 am

I think about me or other people getting injured/killed w/ pretty mundane things a lot. I'm very aware that I'm overly clumsy, and that with the right angle or right force on the right body part that a lot of things could irreversibly harm me or someone else. I try to keep heavy things out of reach of my pets or where they can't get knocked off by people and pets, things shaped to any type of point (like even pens) stored in a way where no one could grab them and accidentally stab their hand or fall and land on them, etc.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 9:13 am

My coordination and fine motor skills: not that great

Sometimes I wonder about things like what the OP wrote

But usually I just worry about getting run over by a car

For the past two years I have been working as a Parking lot Attendant

Some of the drivers drive recklessly

And I almost got hit by a car a lot of times

And the day laborers laugh like it's the funniest thing in the solar system. Rude

However, 39 is middle aged. Everyone has to drop dead sooner or later.

My Old Man and Old Woman dropped dead

Zero "friends" or children

Rapidly getting much worse, academically stupider, mentally slower, emotionally weaker, physically weaker, and it's only getting worse with age

Zero job skills

My worthless corpse has accomplished zero significant achievements, and no matter how much longer I continue to infest the galaxy with my pathetic existence, I am never going to accomplish anything anyways.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 10:37 am

Radish wrote:
I used to throw asbestos onto raging garden fires and watch it explode. My father used to use a massive table saw to cut railway sleepers up for logs. The noise was horrific and the blade massive. I used to ride on the back of a bailing machine around the fields until I got my knee into a spiky mechanism and needed the hospital and stitches. I got fried on electric cattle fences more times than was healthy. Kicked and trampled by cows. Nearly drowned in a silo filling with grain while I was inside it... coughed up black phlegm for days after. Accidentally split my head using a bill-hook to chop off a tree branch. I made a flying trapeze like they have in the circuses in the barn... and fell to the ground, had to crawl back to the house and my mother told me off for getting blood on the floor.

That explains everything.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 1:15 pm

Sometimes I wonder if I could injure myself with a kitchen knife while chopping veggies to the point that I lose a whole bunch of blood and die.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Oct 2022, 2:52 am

When I was suffering from a psychotic depression YEARS ago, I experienced suicidle idealation & I fantasized about killing myself in various ways including using mundane objects. If these thoughts of getting killed are majorly distressing for anyone, I would recomend talking to a doc &/or psych about this. It could be something like OCD or the pure O form of OCD which might be helped by counseling &/or anxiety & OCD meds.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition