Why is the site so inactive lately?

Page 2 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 11:46 pm

The site is fairly old fashioned based on the old BBS chat forums of the late 1990s. Nowadays younger people have hundreds of other options in realtime.

For us oldies this is quite fun, I've never been into social media anyway.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 3:28 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I've just joined Reddit. It seems very active. I hope it's a safe move. I'll still be posting here as well.

Reddit is an interesting format. It reminds me of Usenet, which was very active until forums like this one came along. I have a Reddit account and post on it occasionally, but it hasn't really caught on with me yet.

As far as this form goes, I'm surprised I'm able to spend as much time on it as I do. It's still pretty active considering its age and format.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 5:36 am

Riddit is OK. I can see how it's not for everyone though. It reminds me of quora where I used to go quite regularly.

This place is really intimate which I can see how it can offer a certain amount of comfort for some people.

Trouble for me is that because it's so quiet I could end up getting myself banned because my mind looks for mischief. That's my problem though.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 5:41 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I've just joined Reddit. It seems very active. I hope it's a safe move. I'll still be posting here as well.

Reddit is run by morons. I was banned permanently because I asked someone how it felt to be an incel. It was a stupid thing to say, but they overreacted severely and at least half the redditors are neckbeard incels, anyway.

Reddit is fun of individual subreddits with their own moderators. You need to curate your feed and join what interests you. I'm a member of a load of animal subs which are full of great people who make hilarious comments and in-jokes. The r/rabbit and r/bunnynewsnetwork subs have an ongoing saga about an adorable rabbit called Porridge and is friends in Bunville.

r/aspergirls and r/ADHD are incredibly supportive and positive environments. You get the occasional troll or hate filled bottom dweller, but it's mostly good.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 5:42 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Reddit is an interesting format. It reminds me of Usenet, which was very active until forums like this one came along. I have a Reddit account and post on it occasionally, but it hasn't really caught on with me yet.

As far as this form goes, I'm surprised I'm able to spend as much time on it as I do. It's still pretty active considering its age and format.

The mobile app experience on Reddit is so much better and easy to use than the desktop version.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 6:47 am

hurtloam wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

The mobile app experience on Reddit is so much better and easy to use than the desktop version.

And yet you are here?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 7:24 am

I've logged on a few times over the past few months, but no topics have taken my interest. Today there actually are some.

Compare that with Instagram, Reddit and Twitter and I find something to engage with every day.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 10:28 am

Joe90 wrote:
I don't belong to any autism groups on Facebook because when talking about autism online I prefer to be anonymous.

That is exactly it for me. At this stage in my life I do not care so much if people find out if I am autistic. Some of the autism stuff I post about here is personal stuff and stuff I do not want NT’s giving me advice on. The one Autism topic I have posted about on Facebook is the use of electric shocks at the Judge Rotenburg Center. While I do not specifically say I am autistic if people figure it out so be it because the issue is too important.
Off Topic
I use Facebook to keep up with family and old acquaintances.

I never post about politics on Facebook. I have friended people on both extremes.

I will post about if a major storm is coming or rock star we grew up with dies.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 10:32 am

The one thing that has stayed the same since I joined is people is complaining about WP slowing down.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 2:10 pm

I like Facebook because most people on there have the same political views as I do so I feel I belong there and you can say things without anyone saying you lack empathy. You may only get personally attacked if you don't have the same political views as the majority, but my political views are in the majority in the NT world.
Here is great until you get into a political discussion and if you're not politically squeaky clean then you get scolded for it.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 2:35 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I like Facebook because most people on there have the same political views as I do so I feel I belong there and you can say things without anyone saying you lack empathy. You may only get personally attacked if you don't have the same political views as the majority, but my political views are in the majority in the NT world.
Here is great until you get into a political discussion and if you're not politically squeaky clean then you get scolded for it.

I left Facebook because everyone is so damn political on there.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 2:41 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I left Facebook because everyone is so damn political on there.

They are political but not the same political beliefs as WP. Like the other day there was an article on someone having to publicly apologise for using the term "ladies and gentlemen" on a plane or train or whatever because of it upsetting a small minority of NBs. There were like a million comments that most were against it (no I obviously didn't read all a million comments but I spent a lot of time scrolling through lots and I couldn't see any that agreed with it). So I felt free to throw in my opinion and I got loads of likes and people (strangers) commenting and agreeing with me. Now if that was discussed here on WP, the majority of the comments would be a lot different.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 2:56 pm

Yeah, but I'm not sure I want politics in my face every day. I think a day a week is more than plenty.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 6:13 pm

One of the problems with facebook and social media platforms like reddit and twitter is the digital footprint you leave behind.,

Many of us say things we regret later or while we under the influence, It's not just your family, friends but also current and future employers who track/monitor things you post. Thus it actually curtails what you really want to say in the moment.

In this sense anonymity allows more freedom of expression. I have expressed views/thoughts that have been vetted and guided on this forum that make me realise that I carry my own biases.

I am a product of my own conditioning (as each of us are) and we are constantly learning about others but sharing our thoughts help us to also learn about ourselves.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Oct 2022, 9:04 pm

cyberdad wrote:
The site is fairly old fashioned based on the old BBS chat forums of the late 1990s. Nowadays younger people have hundreds of other options in realtime.

For us oldies this is quite fun, I've never been into social media anyway.
WP's software has not been updated for an extremely looonge time & has lots of bugs. We've lost lots of members & some mods throughout the years due to that :(

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 10:44 pm

^ I think the most dramatic event of the last decade was when the two senior moderators (and administrators), Cornflake and TallyMan, both resigned within days of each other in the Autumn of 2014.

Both of them are back with us now, thankfully.