Why is the site so inactive lately?

Page 4 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Rotter
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2022, 8:43 am

I think multiple things can be done to improve the situation, including:

(1) Invite neurodivergent people to join WrongPlanet. At least add "Neurodivergent" to the list of choices for "Diagnosis", as I described in:
viewtopic.php?t=409340

(2) WrongPlanet seems to be using an old version of forum software. It could be updated to the latest version or to different better forum software.

(3) WrongPlanet is uncomfortably slow to respond today, but maybe that's just a temporary problem today?

(4) WrongPlanet also includes NT members. I understand the reasons for doing this, but nevertheless it's both an advantage and a disadvantage. It's stressful and tiring having to deal with the many problems of NTs on a daily basis (such as their non-communication and obsessions about ranking people from worst to best). It is offputting to think that I'll have to continue dealing with them if I participate in WrongPlanet. The end result is that the presence of NTs discourages me from participating in WrongPlanet. That's an unfortunate side-effect.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 9:02 am

Rotter wrote:
I think multiple things can be done to improve the situation, including:

(1) Invite neurodivergent people to join WrongPlanet. At least add "Neurodivergent" to the list of choices for "Diagnosis", as I described in:
viewtopic.php?t=409340

(2) WrongPlanet seems to be using an old version of forum software. It could be updated to the latest version or to different better forum software.

(3) WrongPlanet is uncomfortably slow to respond today, but maybe that's just a temporary problem today?

(4) WrongPlanet also includes NT members. I understand the reasons for doing this, but nevertheless it's both an advantage and a disadvantage. It's stressful and tiring having to deal with the many problems of NTs on a daily basis (such as their non-communication and obsessions about ranking people from worst to best). It is offputting to think that I'll have to continue dealing with them if I participate in WrongPlanet. The end result is that the presence of NTs discourages me from participating in WrongPlanet. That's an unfortunate side-effect.

Those are all very good points and we should be working to fix this. A lot of us want to change our usernames for example. We should be able to do so for the price of $5 if we wish to do so. If enough of us do this, there would be enough money to update WP. I also think the word Neurodivergent should be used to advertise WP.

Rotter
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2022, 11:22 am

Fireblossom wrote:
I also have a personal rule to not post on the L&D section anymore. ... as a woman I just don't feel safe using that part of the forum.

I understand and agree with you, but I'd like to point out that there also exists men who don't feel safe around women, because of the number of women who tell men that no means yes. In my opinion, whenever a man discovers that he is dating that kind of unsafe woman, the best course of action is to cut contact with her and seek a different kind of woman.

Fireblossom wrote:
because of all the misogyny on the site

The following are the 2 most common ways of trying to reduce misogyny, but these don't work:

(1) Deny the fact that those men had many bad experiences with women. Misogyny just becomes even worse if any woman tells the misogynist that his bad experiences didn't happen.

(2) Say to the misogynist: "Your bad experience with that woman was just bad luck -- an exception. Most women are nice. You can't blame all women because of one or two bad eggs."

To help reduce the misogyny, I suggest making a sticky message that says something like this:

-----
"Yes, yes, you're right, a lot of women are bad, BUT a lot of men are bad as well, therefore the real problem is not about gender. If you were born as a woman instead of a man, then you would have had a lot of bad dating experiences with men. Both genders suffer. The real problem is not one gender or the other. It's not really a gender problem at all. Dating is too often an awful experience regardless of whether you're a man or a woman."
-----

The above is intended to be interpreted literally. It's not a case of the dishonest/manipulative NT technique of pretending to agree for the purpose of avoiding conflict.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 11:29 am

^ WTF!

I definitely don't think a lot of women and men are bad. My dating experiences were awkward - not bad.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 11:32 am

Just out of curiosity what IS the software for WrongPlanet?
What version?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 12:02 pm

Windows 98

Rotter
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2022, 12:18 pm

Where_am_I wrote:
I definitely don't think a lot of women and men are bad. My dating experiences were awkward - not bad.

Alright, but saying that doesn't solve the problem of misogyny at all. What I said also won't solve it, but it would help shrink misogyny, at least to some degree. You didn't like my message, but your message doesn't offer any suggestions whatsoever about how to reduce the problem of misogyny.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 12:36 pm

^ I haven't a clue how to tackle it to be honest. Parents teaching kids from a young age is one way.

I come from a family full of mostly misogynists. My youngest brother isn't one.

Rotter
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2022, 1:09 pm

Where_am_I wrote:
Parents teaching kids from a young age is one way.

Yes, but only if the parents teach their kids the truth, but most parents don't, because the truth is painful and depressing. Too often, when parents try to teach their kids NOT to be misogynistic, the opposite happens and another misogynist is created, the opposite of what the parents intended, because the parents lied to themselves and told their kids the same lies that they tell themselves.

Where_am_I wrote:
I come from a family full of mostly misogynists. My youngest brother isn't one.

Not yet a misogynist because he isn't old enough or experienced enough to become a misogynist ? :-)
If you teach him that 99% of women are nice people, then he'll likely end up becoming a misogynist one day in the future. Likewise if you teach a girl that 99% of men are nice people, then she'll likely end up becoming a man-hater or dead or damaged. The problem is not really about gender at all.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 1:35 pm

Those aren't the only two reasons why he isn't one.
He's in his mid twenties and he's not a dick. It's that simple.

Misandrists are definitely an issue too.

Perhaps the more articulate members could address your posts better.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 1:42 pm

One think to remember is that we are in back-to-school time. A lot of people are just busy with other things.

Another is - well Autism is about social skills. This is a social media forum. It is kind of amazing that it ever works at all.

Suggestions to make things more lively here:

Think about topics that interest you. Look for interesting articles on same (Google Search or Google News Search).

Post a link with part of the article and your opinion. Invite others to comment. Share on your special interest. Share on your pet peeves. Share on your day or week, especially as it has to do with Asperger's or Autism.

Respond to other people's posts - no really.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 2:18 pm

Maybe this is not relevant but I find long posts very off-putting. I don't even bother reading the first line if I see more than ~7 or 8 lines.

Also, for the last 5 years or so, autism diagnoses have become very common everywhere. It's like, "You are autistic? So what? Everyone's autistic! You are not special!". This trend has made autism a rather boring and mundane thing, which may probably be leading to autism communities falling apart. It's ironic that what WP has been promoting is now killing it.

Last edited by magz on 15 Oct 2022, 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.: Miscommunication clarified

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 9:27 pm

I miss all the old members that used to come here. Aspies Central isn't that active either. I am not interested in Twitter but I am on Reddit and the autism subs there are far more active. Autism Friends is also dead. If all the mods left this forum, this site would be doomed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 10:48 pm

If this site is so inactive then why is this thread so popular :lol:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 Oct 2022, 7:11 am

Some members don't visit WP simply because they've moved on in their lives and no longer feel a need to post here.

The life circumstances of others - a new job, demanding a full and rewarding concentration for example - mean that it's no longer possible to spare the same amount of time being active here; they quietly drift away.

For others, having adapted or learned how to better handle their particular flavor of ASD, WP's solutions or discussions around ASDs are much less relevant to them - in that sense, the site has helped and served its purpose.

There is also the rise of many other forms of social media, often with more immediate and lively responses on a huge range of topics, which may be a more attractive draw and pull further posters away.

The only constant in life is change, and WP membership is not immune to this.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 7:39 am

I post when I feel there is something to post about, it depends if there is anything interesting, I do like the off the wall games they are fun.