Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 8:20 pm

Approx. 0035hrs from South Wales, UK saw an odd shooting star looking north. Am not far from the south Wales coastline roughly in the middle of the south of the coast. The star fell strangely almost vertically downwards though with about an 80 degree angle (90 degree would be straight down) slightly to the left (Slightly west). What I mean by this is it was north, but the angle it fell was not quite straight down but left looking north. (The angle the star fell and not the angle the star was seen... Star was almost straight down from the dark nights sky to the land).

I have seen a great number of shooting start and what was different is I have not seen one straight down like this as they always come sideways. The second odd thing is that this one was real bright and larger than the usual shooting star, yet as I was indoors with the TV on (And the light on so it was that bright that I saw it from in here!), so I did not notice any sound but due to the TV and double glazed windows I may not notice.

From the look of what I saw, I would say that wherever this thing landed would not be that far from here, and a second smaller star (Or whatever it was) was noticed to fall at a similar angle but slightly left (West) of the origional place that the first one fell, but was about 15 seconds later when I naturally got up to go to the porch to look further. The smaller one was duller as in more like an ordinary shooting star but long and thin rather than round?

So were these actually shooting stars? Did anyone else see them or see anything? I guess those who live in America would see this in the east but it maybe too far away to see it?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 9:50 pm

Had you been looking at it from the side, you may have seen it traverse a more shallow angle.

If I toss a ball in front of me, I see it follow a near-vertical path to the ground; but the person standing off to one side sees it as traversing a more horizontal path.

That is called "Perspective", and there is nothing odd about it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 6:01 am

Fnord wrote:
Had you been looking at it from the side, you may have seen it traverse a more shallow angle.

If I toss a ball in front of me, I see it follow a near-vertical path to the ground; but the person standing off to one side sees it as traversing a more horizontal path.

That is called "Perspective", and there is nothing odd about it.

It was actually unusual. I wonder if it was a satallite falling or something like that? Was a very white light but I had a glimpse of an almost rectangular shape and I do not know if it hit the earth or went round it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 12:58 pm

It might have been a falling star.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 1:22 pm

Perhaps an omen for the PM

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 1:49 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
It might have been a falling star.

Rectangular star though wider at one end compared to the other.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 1:50 pm

Fenn wrote:
Perhaps an omen for the PM

Not sure what an omen is. PM = private message or prime minister?

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 3:30 pm

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/omen

“An omen is an event or happening that you take as sign of something to come. It’s believed to be a bad omen if a black cat crosses your path or if it rains on your wedding day.

Omens generally get a bad rap — that's probably because a lot of them predict bad stuff, at least according to superstition. But the interpretation of omens really depends on the country and culture. What's considered an ominous sign in one place might mean a lifetime of good luck somewhere else. Oscar Wilde once wrote that, ‘There is no such thing as an omen. Destiny does not send us heralds. She is too wise or too cruel for that.’”

PM = Liz Truss

Who also fell like a shooting star and lasted about as long

(Of course the current PM is Rishi Sunak. If this omen is for him and not Liz Truss then things do not look so good for Rishi Sunak)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 5:04 pm

"Shooting stars" arent literally "stars" in the modern sense (ie 'suns'), but meteors. Usually natural rocks falling out of space, but they could also be space age man made junk too nowadays.

Meteors dont glow until they hit the atmosphere maybe fifty miles up. So no one in the US is going to see the same shooting star as someone in Wales sees. But other Wales locals might have reported it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 5:59 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
"Shooting stars" arent literally "stars" in the modern sense (ie 'suns'), but meteors. Usually natural rocks falling out of space, but they could also be space age man made junk too nowadays.

Meteors dont glow until they hit the atmosphere maybe fifty miles up. So no one in the US is going to see the same shooting star as someone in Wales sees. But other Wales locals might have reported it.

The strange thing is I saw at least one helicopter and also a light aircraft spending ages going back and fore in the area near where the thing came down but they were at the wrong angle, so there is a bit more to this. The helicopter was a military green colour but seemed like a private type helicopter (As in one that wealthy private individuals would buy) but was the same green that the military uses. I was told they use light aircraft for servaliance purposes as they are cheaper to keep in the air and move slower so can see things better. I heard a light aircraft flying back and fore in that direction but did not see it as it was just out of sight so must have been flying rather low, so there definately was something, but I know the helicopter was looking a little too far east, but was otherwize fairly close... Just needed to shift over a few miles.

Strangely looked almost exactly like this (Below) but was more of a vertical falling angle and the second smaller one by the side appeared at the same angle and distance from it, but appeared about 10 seconds later?

https://youtu.be/PDKNOtq2EFY

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 9:51 pm

I dunno.

Maybe those aircraft were military, and they were trying to recover some fallen satellite.

Or maybe the heliocopters and light planes were doing something unrelated to the shooting star.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 5:38 am

It could be either. :)

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 5:57 am

it was ODD! here is a news report that may explain more about it . https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ocket.html

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 6:37 am

Interesting. The bits I saw then were a good 300 to 600 miles north of their predicted path, though it is a guessing game. Can't specifically blame China as every country in the world has the same risk as what goes up eventually comes back down.
Hope nothing was damaged and that no one was hurt. (We do tend to panic but actually is rare for someone to be hurt because the size of the land we stand or sit on compared to the vast size of all the land and sea everywhere else, the liklihood is very rare indeed. People living in built up areas don't comprehend how much vast areas of land there are that are not built up, even on an island or a group of islands like the UK happens to be. When I go out driving in Wales, is only really the south and far north of it that is densely populated. The rest one can drive for miles through green field and other green areas before one reaches another populated area. Most of the inbetween villages and hamlets are just small groups of houses lined up at the edge of the road. Behind them is all green so I do agree that the chances of someone being hurt is rare).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 7:23 am

Other folks in Wales might have reported seeing this.

Interesting about this failed Chinese rocket. But that fiasco may not have anything to do with what you saw.

You were in south Wales looking north. And that red band, in the article, that shows the areas of the planet where the falling rocket is likely to fall doesnt go much above the Mediterranean in southern Europe.

So...

Its still a mystery.

https://youtu.be/XVSRm80WzZk

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 8:31 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Other folks in Wales might have reported seeing this.

Interesting about this failed Chinese rocket. But that fiasco may not have anything to do with what you saw.

You were in south Wales looking north. And that red band, in the article, that shows the areas of the planet where the falling rocket is likely to fall doesnt go much above the Mediterranean in southern Europe.

So...

Its still a mystery.

https://youtu.be/XVSRm80WzZk

I love that show! :D