Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 10:21 pm

Electric cars in our future. How to people feel about that?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 10:26 pm

We'll never have electric cars because the Stonecutters hold them back, just like they keep the metric system out of the US, keep the Martians under wraps, and rig every Oscar night. :)

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 7:25 am

I hope they're a part of the future (because they sound like you're in a sci-fi movie and are very cool), but I wouldn't want them to simply replace combustion engine cars.

I'd prefer to see a concerted effort towards mass transit systems with cars on demand becoming a reality. That and a more local and communal approach to living generally. I think we've been living in a cult of individualism for too long and its run out of road. It's pretty crazy that everyone has their own car which spends most of its time doing nothing.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 10:26 am

If they're not driverless I really don't care. I used to hear about driverless cars all the time, now nothing. I guess they thought cars driven by raving lunatics that cause millions of accidents a year is safer. Whoever "they" are.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 10:52 am

They're already here. They're just too expensive still right now. Hopefully in time they'll get cheaper and regular working people can afford to buy them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 11:03 am

When we switch to electric cars then... the Saudies, The Iranians, and the Emirates, will all collapse.

And the most powerful nation on earth will be.....Bolivia!! !! !

Bolivia (landlocked country in the Andes in South America) has the greatest number of lithium mines!

And electric cars need lithium batteries!

So lets all start learning Spanish, and Quechua (the language of the Incas, still spoken by Bolivian Indians) so we can prepare to kiss their asses now! :lol:

Last edited by naturalplastic on 05 Oct 2022, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 11:04 am

..until batteries are made from something different.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 4:21 pm

I read people going have electric cars & they are banning gas by 2035. People here has a little over 10 years.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 4:38 pm

In the UK we are currently aiming to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars by 2030. That means they'll still be around for quite a while after that - cars can last 20-30 years, it'll just get harder and more expensive to find fuel.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 4:48 pm

Electric care have their good points, but they aren't all they are made out to be. The electricity that powers them has to come form somewhere. I wonder how many people would buy them if they knew the electricity was still being produced by burning coal or fossil fuels...or even nuclear energy?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 5:04 pm

In the US do you get to choose your energy supplier?

I mean, in the UK I choose to use a supplier that produces 100% of its energy from renewables. I'd imagine that most people buying an electric car because they're concerned about the environment would choose this too.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 5:59 pm

no, its single-supplier per territory - you get the supplier that serves your region.

You can pay more to get "green energy" but all that means is our utility will try to produce electricity using wind, or hydro, or solar to offset your use. The reality is the energy you are actually getting is the same as your neighbor who is paying less (during peak hours its a lot less) While someone who is paying the standard rate is using that "green energy" and not paying extra for it. Our utility recently go into trouble for producing less than 30% of the "green" energy it was charging customers for.

In my region, we get most of our energy from coal that is shipped to the plant via diesel trains across a few states to get here. Hydro electric supplies have been reduced because of the harm to wild salmon, and the one of the wind-farms was recently shut down for sparking a wildfire that became a forrest fire.

My point being people need to know where their electricity comes from and the other expenses like battery-replacement costs, and energy efficiency degrades over time resulting in reduced range, speed, and greater energy use when batteries degrade.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 8:41 pm

I think that electric cars will take over the streets and the environment will be better for it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Oct 2022, 10:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
When we switch to electric cars then... the Saudies, The Iranians, and the Emirates, will all collapse.

And the most powerful nation on earth will be.....Bolivia!! ! ! !

Bolivia (landlocked country in the Andes in South America) has the greatest number of lithium mines!

And electric cars need lithium batteries!

So lets all start learning Spanish, and Quechua (the language of the Incas, still spoken by Bolivian Indians) so we can prepare to kiss their asses now! :lol:
When all cars become eletric cars, Russia would be a super nation & the only nation & all cars word be made by Tesla. Yes I went there

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 10:37 pm

The humans race won't be around to drive electric cars. The human race can't even learn simple things like "vaccinations saves lives" or "war doesn't solve anything".

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Oct 2022, 11:50 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
The humans race won't be around to drive electric cars. The human race can't even learn simple things like "vaccinations saves lives" or "war doesn't solve anything".
Then the robots we design before our race ends will be able to drive/use the electric cars

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition