Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 2:20 pm

Can you wash your clothes with dishwashing soap?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 3:09 pm

Yes.

where ever you go ,there you are

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 4:17 pm

I once read that expensive hair shampoo is basically the same as dishwashing soap… the shampoo just has fancy scent added… and a lot of hype.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 4:29 pm

Dish soap makes a lot more suds than laundry detergent and can ruin your washing machine.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 4:58 pm

a long time ago I washed my hair with dishwashing soap and noticed it was different, was it just a delusion or something real..

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 5:13 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Dish soap makes a lot more suds than laundry detergent and can ruin your washing machine.

Don't put it in the washing machine because it generates too much foam, and foam is bad because it will get into places where it shouldn't be, bringing water with it. Laundry detergents are low foam. I guess they add something to make it have less surface tension or something.
I suppose the foam will also keep it from rinsing out well.

That said, I love washing my hands with dish soap as it's designed to remove grease (and oils). Since I've been working with electronics for decades now I like my hands feeling clean and dry so I'm not leaving fingerprints and smudges on surfaces of things I touch.

Recently I discovered that dish soap is also great for washing my eye glasses. Dish soap usually has some rinse aid added to it which makes water run off the dishes so they dry without water spots. Same effect is great on eye glasses, as you get them clean without spots or streaks. IMO it's even more gentle than the lens cleaner you have to rub off with a towel, as with soap and water you're even less likely to scratch because you're not even rubbing with a cloth or paper.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 5:19 pm

klanka wrote:
a long time ago I washed my hair with dishwashing soap and noticed it was different, was it just a delusion or something real..

That would be bad, as dish soap will completely degrease your hair and scalp. Do it enough times and your hair will fall out. Take it from a guy who went bald at young age.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 5:42 pm

Would you please share your source of info about not using dish soap in washing machines , please ?
Or have you damaged a machine doing that .?

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 5:49 pm

Jakki wrote:
Would you please share your source of info about not using dish soap in washing machines , please ?
Or have you damaged a machine doing that .?

https://home-ec101.com/bubble-bubble-toil-and-trouble/

https://www.cleanipedia.com/gb/laundry/can-use-dishwashing-liquid-in-washing-machine.html#:~:text=Using%20dishwashing%20liquid%20in%20the%20washing%20machine%20is%20not%20a,a%20mountain%20of%20suds!).

Short answer: you will overflow the machine. You get everything that comes with the overflow.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 6:03 pm

Thank you :D

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 6:12 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
klanka wrote:

That would be bad, as dish soap will completely degrease your hair and scalp. Do it enough times and your hair will fall out. Take it from a guy who went bald at young age.

ah i thought my hair looked terrible afterwards :D