Americans mispronounce Adele's name according to Adele

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 3:30 pm

Adele says we’ve been pronouncing her name wrong this whole time

Quote:
Add this to the list of our collective English-language failures of the last two decades: Americans have been pronouncing Adele’s name wrong this whole time.

During an “I Drink Wine” happy hour Q&A with fans last week, the Grammy- and Oscar-winning British singer revealed how to properly say her first name much to the surprise of the internet.

The clarification came in response to a songwriting question from a London-based fan, whom the “Easy on Me” crooner praised for nailing the correct pronunciation of her name when she greeted her by saying “Hi, uh-DALE.”

“Is she from Enfield or something? Love that. She said my name perfectly!” the Tottenham-bred singer said. She then repeated the proper pronunciation a few times to moderator Benito Skinner as “uh-DALE” and “huh-dale” instead of “Ah-dell.”

Fans and critics on social media immediately responded to the revelation. Some were “literally flabbergasted,” others debated the nuances of English accents and others were completely unbothered.

“If it was pronounced Uh-dale, the surely it would be spelt Adale,” said one tweet.

“This is such a mental story all over the internet lmfao. In the video she literally says Adele with a London accent. That is not ‘Uh-dale’ like all these articles suggests? What?” said another.

“I’m not calling her uhdale,” wrote a different Twitter user.

The “Hello” and “Someone Like You” singer also prefers her mononym to her full name: Adele Adkins. The 34-year-old pop phenom dropped the use of her last name early in her career because she didn’t like how “drab” it sounded.

“I could have never used my surname,” she told YouTube star NikkieTutorials last December. “Adele Adkins does not have the same ring as Adele.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 6:36 am

How do you pronounce "uh-DALE"? Could it be "you DAY lee" = /juːˈdeɪliː/? If so, that's really weird. I don't think anyone can guess such a weird way of pronouncing that name. My boss's daughter's name is Adele and it's pronounced / əˈdɛl /.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 10:01 pm

Oooo-DALE?

Oooooooo-DALE?

Hmmm...

Well all that a can say to Adele....on behalf of us of the American public is:

Mistakes, weve made a few, were only human....I am crying...

Ooooh

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 11:33 pm

I wish they would say what her name actually is. Is it Adalie as in Natalie but replace it with an A and it's Atalie.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.