Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 1:54 am

Did anybody buy something on Black Friday or Cyber Monday?

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 4:52 am

Not a thing.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 5:34 am

Our retailers do not have a clue what "Black Friday" is and have been offering black friday sales for months! One retailer advertizing on TV just about sums up how little they know and how ignorant they are about black friday by stating (After having had a long sale) "Black Friday sale ends Monday".
A few years ago we never had black friday sales but since the BLM they have been adding them here and they are now on everything. Stupid things like a tap washer in a plumbing shop will offer a few pennies off (5% off) in a sale. (They may only actually have two or three items in the black friday sale in their whole shop!)
Others like EE or Plusnet who are offering stupid black friday sales on contracts where the sale ends on a specific date and they make it "Seem" like it is a good price but then they have a new sale or special offer on giving similar "Special prices" that their old sale and they keep. going from sale to sale and never seem to have any "Standard prices" where there is no sale. It's all a hyped up con where their sale prices ARE their normal prices!

And then there are the many retail chainstores around the country who technically are on the fine limits of being close to breaking the law, who will temporarily double the prices of certain products in just one or two of their many stores, only to bring them back to the max RRP (Normal non-discounted selling price) claiming they are on a half price sale and this sale will be in ALL their stores across the country! Used to be highly illegal before we adopted EU laws. I remember a retail chainstore almost going bankrupt in government fines when they did this as it was classed as decieving the customer, but today retail stores like Halfords and others do it often. (Was Halfords where I first noticed the practice taking place but not singling out just them as they were only copying others).

The old British way was not to have a sale on before Christmas, but then to get rid of the Christmas stock that did not sell, we would have massive sales after Christmas and in the new year when the shops opened again. (No shop opened New Years day or Boxing day as these were days for staff to get a rest and no store opened Sundays in those days either. Did you knowsine we adopted EU rules and opened on a sunday, no extra sales were generated as sunday sales would come from a reduction of weeks sales where sunday shoppers used to shop in the week, and yet store staffing costs went up and they called iit progress quoting the sundays sales figures! Yet overall weekly figures were the exact same! It was the news that tried to do anything they can to crush Christianity and the British traditions who kept claiming that it generated lots of extra income. They had no factual proof as they distorted the facts that the British people buy the same average amount each week that they have always had done).

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Nov 2022, 5:47 am

Yes - our oven broke just a few days earlier, so we welcomed the fact that there were discounts on something we intended to buy anyway :D

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 6:04 am

Just some Moet for my sister (it's her birthday soon), and a birthday cake from hummingbird. No black Friday offers on the cake.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 6:30 am

Lots, actually.

Commercial ceiling lights for the garage, a large set of power tools, a shop vacuum, 2TB NVMe drives, a chassis for my new NAS server, a coffee machine for grandma, a new computer chair for me, desk lamps for both home and work. Oh, and I bought another robot vacuum that does carpets well. My most exciting purchase is actually a desoldering gun with a vacuum pump.

Prolly forgot something.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 11:10 am

I bought socks on Friday. Christmas themed ones, Christmas gifts for my family. I would've bought them anyway, but by timing it like this, I saved five euros, so it was worth it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 4:53 pm

yes I bought this lego castle on cyber monday:

So, waiting for it to be sent.

It was not discounted or anything, but comes with a free set to build a little Christmas elves scene and I guess a lego bag(looking it up that is 20 dollars to buy but they are just sending one). So this purchase was not some crazy cyber monday deal, but still I did buy it on that day and I get a couple extra things with it.

They had some things discounted for cyber monday, but not that particular item.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 6:30 pm

^ 8O Envy. I haven't had Lego since I was 12, had to leave it all behind when I moved across the pond.

That does look like a nice set.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 1:59 am

I bought a laptop, wireless mouse, mouse pad, stuff for my cat, litter, food, chewy sticks, a new blanket, the blanket is very soft & warm :D I also bought her a bed, this bed is an ottoman too, so it’s for both of us :D :heart:

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 2:11 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Did anybody buy something on Black Friday or Cyber Monday?

I did not.But I did shop online but never actually ordered anything on Black Friday or Cyber Monday this year.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 2:12 am

r00tb33r wrote:
^ 8O Envy. I haven't had Lego since I was 12, had to leave it all behind when I moved across the pond.

That does look like a nice set.

I sure hope so, never actually had a lego castle set growing up, but sometimes went to other peoples houses that had them...and so now finally at the age of 33 I finally will have one all for me. feels a little ridiculous but I really wanted it andd could afford it without it being too irresponsible, plus my job I guess raised my pay...not much 13 to 14 an hour but I must not be doing too bad at my job if they are rasing my pay rather than letting me go. I am just not used to that I am used to nothing being communicated to me and just randomly getting fired...I never got a raise in pay before.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 8:14 pm

A new laptop. I've been monitoring prices all year to make sure I got a decent discount. I dunno why we have Black Friday down here though. We've already got the End Of Financial Year (EOFY) sales in June, plus the big Boxing Day sales after Christmas. We don't really need a third major discount sales day – not that I'm actually complaining.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)