what did you do on new year eve 1999

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 7:46 pm

I was only 9 then, so there was no pressure of alcohol or scary social events in bars. I bet people went crazy that night because it being not only a new year, not only a new century, but a new millennium.
I spent the night at my grandparents who'd hosted a little party for all the grandchildren. We wore funny hats, played games, ate food, and then as soon as we watched the new year in we popped party poppers then all went to bed before 1am.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 8:27 pm

I was with my then-boyfriend GBF2.
All I remember is being on a hill overlooking the city, and we lit sparklers to write our names in the sky.
I think his kids might have been with us, but mine weren't.
I don't remember anything else about it.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 10:43 pm

I had a VCR at that time that showed the last two digits of the year. It went from 99 to 00. But it worked just as fine as it did before. :lol: I didn't get rid of the VCR until maybe three years ago. I used to make recordings of my console games on it. I wish I knew how to do that on the computer so I could upload them on YouTube. :(

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 10:51 pm

I'm one of those cerebral weirdos who thinks the millennium started in 2001, because time starts counting at 1 rather than 0. But I don't remember the start of 2001, either.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Dec 2022, 11:29 pm

Since I had turned 17 the month before & I was NEVER the type to go out & do things with people & my parents never did anything special those nights & went to bed around 10; I treated that New Year's eve like it was most any other non-school night & I either stayed up watching TV, or played Nintendo 64 while listening to music, or I did a mix of both.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2022, 1:33 am

Went home down to the local pub and had a few drinks. Nothing remotely crazy.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2022, 9:01 pm

My parents and I went to a huge New Year's Eve party. There were lots of people there. I had on my silver shirt.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2022, 7:35 am

Did anyone party with Prince :?: :shaking2:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2022, 8:45 am

likely watched the early CNN feed of the times square ball drop @ 9PM pacific time, then went to bed.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2022, 11:54 am

Went to work an automobile auction for my overnight job as security/shipping-receiving.

Checked in a couple loads of lease returns; parked the van sat around at various places watching the fence; read a book; listened some to radio, BBC World Service on NPR, and Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell; wrote some for my sci-fi book; ate 'lunch'; talked to the other couple of overnight workers.

A very much anti-climactic Y2K.

Which I had expected.

When people asked what I did to prepare for Y2K I told them, "I laundered my socks."

Which was partly true; socks got laundered a day or two before with my shirts and my whites as part of normal laundry schedule & not at all in relation to the Y2K hysteria.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2022, 10:15 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Went to work an automobile auction for my overnight job as security/shipping-receiving.

Checked in a couple loads of lease returns; parked the van sat around at various places watching the fence; read a book; listened some to radio, BBC World Service on NPR, and Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell; wrote some for my sci-fi book; ate 'lunch'; talked to the other couple of overnight workers.

A very much anti-climactic Y2K.

Which I had expected.

When people asked what I did to prepare for Y2K I told them, "I laundered my socks."

Which was partly true; socks got laundered a day or two before with my shirts and my whites as part of normal laundry schedule & not at all in relation to the Y2K hysteria.
Hopefully you got paid extra for working that night like double pay or at least time & a half for the night like overtime pay even if your weekly hours were no more than 40. I worked overnight two New Year's eves at WalMart & I think that was one of the couple holidays where we got holiday pay which was double, Christmas was another one & I worked three Christmas nights there. I worked alot of over overtime then since I was allowed to & getting double pay those nights on top of those hours counting towards my regular weekly hours, gave me a much bigger paycheck than when I was only allowed to work 40 hours(32 when I was part time). Hypothetically if one of those nights had been Y2K, I woulda chose to come if I was scheduled as off for the extra pay & there wouldn't be any customers in the store to work around, it was a super WalMart & open 24 hours every single day & night except Christmas; plus I never did anything very special those nights at home.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2022, 11:01 pm

I was at work, delivering pizza.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 5:21 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm one of those cerebral weirdos who thinks the millennium started in 2001, because time starts counting at 1 rather than 0. But I don't remember the start of 2001, either.

I thought it was going to be 2000 forever, because of all the fuss. When it was nearly Christmas 2000 I asked my mum if we were having any more new years eves and she said of course we will. So I asked if it was going to become 3000, and she said "no, it'll be 2001".

:lol:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 6:14 pm

Joe90 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

I thought it was going to be 2000 forever, because of all the fuss. When it was nearly Christmas 2000 I asked my mum if we were having any more new years eves and she said of course we will. So I asked if it was going to become 3000, and she said "no, it'll be 2001".

:lol:
Luckily a new millennium only happens 1ce a lifetime & the hype & panic didn't start till the year before. Thank god it's not like a presidential election & happens every four years & the three years before are full of hype & panic about the world as we know it ending :tired: