Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Naked Atira
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2022, 6:12 am

Yes. Things were so much cooler. It was easier to talk to people. People were generally happier.
People weren't jaded, cynical, and edgy.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 6:32 am

Naked Atira wrote:

I was lol

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 8:02 am

hurtloam wrote:
Naked Atira wrote:

I was lol

I always have been.

Less now because of the diagnose and I have been around long enough the worst has not always happened enough times.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 8:31 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Naked Atira wrote:

I was lol

I always have been.

Less now because of the diagnose and I have been around long enough the worst has not always happened enough times.

I think I mellowed a bit once I understood what autism was and why I was different. I had a big I'm not like other girls vibe. I always thought it was funny to have an answer for everything. Extreme tail end of Gen X type Daria teen.

I don't know what media for teens is Ike now, but in the 90s it was very parents are stupid, us teens are sassy and clever. I hope it's a bit better now.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Dec 2022, 9:09 am

hurtloam wrote:
I wouldn't say I miss them because my life is a lot better now, I wouldn't be a teenager for anything. I met one or two horrible people who had a big impact in ruining the 90s, but I miss the feeling of hopefulness the 90s had. I feel like we like in a time of doom and gloom and everyone is on a knife edge ready to take offence and argue.
I wouldn't want to be a teenager or kid again. I hated school, majorly struggled in lots of classes, & I was bullied a lot before high-school. I had lots of fights with my mom as well partly due to me hating waking up for school & needing a lot of time to wind down when I got home & mom on my back about me not applying myself with school.

People do seem a lot more angry & hostel these days. Income ineqality was not as bad in the 90s & the rich special interests seemed to have less influence in goverment. There was not quite as much hatred towards the poor & disabled for needing assistance. These days both sides accuse the other of having a sense of entitelment & they seem to live in alternate universes & it's hard to tell fact from fiction.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 9:26 am

nick007 wrote:
People do seem a lot more angry & hostel these days. Income ineqality was not as bad in the 90s & the rich special interests seemed to have less influence in goverment. There was not quite as much hatred towards the poor & disabled for needing assistance.

True but at the same time, a substantial minority in the US were absolutely beside themselves with anger over the fact that Bill Clinton was in the White House. I could argue that all of today's political troubles have their roots in the 90s but it took 9/11 to really get the ball rolling.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 9:27 am

I miss the last two years of it. The rest can die in a fire.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 10:20 pm

Well, the 90's do have their own ups and downs, but yes, I really do miss it. Even with some things that have improved nowadays, the 90's were more peaceful, simpler, and cooler than today's world. :p

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2023, 6:02 am

The 80's had well made music in the pop charts..
The 90's was like electronic dance music for people on drugs, mediocre indie music, grunge
.. which seemed good at the time but I don't listen to it now

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2023, 6:42 am

klanka wrote:
The 80's had well made music in the pop charts..
The 90's was like electronic dance music for people on drugs, mediocre indie music, grunge
.. which seemed good at the time but I don't listen to it now

I wouldn't know what it was like in the UK, but the 80s in the US was a period of renewed self-confidence and positivity following the "malaise" of the late 70s. In contrast, popular culture in the 90s emphasized cynicism and disengagement. Curiously, people coming of age in both decades are considered Gen-X but the experiences were very different. I think music trends reflect those societal trends.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Jan 2023, 12:58 pm

klanka wrote:
The 90's was like electronic dance music for people on drugs
Some people said that about the 80s synth pop. I don't think that about the 80s or 90s music, I like that music. I do think that about some of the newer pop music thou like the techno stuff.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2023, 2:19 pm

I recall some opposition to the synths cos they were not 'real instruments' but they sounded good and complimented the songs back then.
Dont remember anyone saying synth music is for druggies :D

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2023, 12:36 pm

The 1990s is overrated. Most people only idolize the 90s because they were small children at the time. I was born in the 70s so I mostly only remember stuff like watching the Muppet Show and listening to my Chipmunks Punk records and being surrounded by second-hand smoke constantly. I don't remember all the "unrest" of that decade. And when people say "Oh the 90s were the best" it makes me feel literal pain and cringe. I was legally a young adult in the 90s so I remember all the fear-mongering. I had horrible anxiety and was in constant fear of the world ending because of Y2K and other things.

The reason the present is so horrible and there's no future because people keep their heads stuck in the past and view with their nostalgia goggles on too tight.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2023, 1:02 pm

Yes, because I was a small child throughout the whole 1990s (was born in 1990 and turned 10 in 2000).

It was a nice decade, because we had the technology but it didn't dominate our lives like it does now.

Political correctness became even and made sense to everybody, meaning it wasn't one extreme or the other.

TV was good too. Often Saturday nights had some brilliant shows for all people of all ages. Now it's absolute nonsense. Kids shows were great back then too. Now it seems that the Karens are in charge of how kids shows should be.
I watched Tom & Jerry when I was a kid but it never influenced me to be cruel to animals, but these days people don't let their kids watch anything with even the slightest bit of violence or fart jokes or scary stuff or dangerous stuff or anything - even though there's far worse stuff on the internet kids can get exposed to than a cartoon.

Also health and safety has gone way over the top. When I was a kid every waiting-room had a rocking horse. Now apparently the rocking horse is dangerous and has been banned because parents are now given the right to sue any company if their kid is hurt. Back in the 1990s there were reasonable health and safety policies in place but we weren't wrapped in cotton wool.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2023, 1:36 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Yes, because I was a small child throughout the whole 1990s (was born in 1990 and turned 10 in 2000).

It was a nice decade, because we had the technology but it didn't dominate our lives like it does now.

Political correctness became even and made sense to everybody, meaning it wasn't one extreme or the other.

TV was good too. Often Saturday nights had some brilliant shows for all people of all ages. Now it's absolute nonsense. Kids shows were great back then too. Now it seems that the Karens are in charge of how kids shows should be.
I watched Tom & Jerry when I was a kid but it never influenced me to be cruel to animals, but these days people don't let their kids watch anything with even the slightest bit of violence or fart jokes or scary stuff or dangerous stuff or anything - even though there's far worse stuff on the internet kids can get exposed to than a cartoon.

Also health and safety has gone way over the top. When I was a kid every waiting-room had a rocking horse. Now apparently the rocking horse is dangerous and has been banned because parents are now given the right to sue any company if their kid is hurt. Back in the 1990s there were reasonable health and safety policies in place but we weren't wrapped in cotton wool.

Interesting observations. Yeah. The Net was just a plaything for most folks. Not what it is now...more vital than offline life. you didnt post your resume online yet, nor care about your 'online presence' yet. PC was about right, and not too much.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2023, 5:59 pm

Considering the animation industry is headed back to the '80s landscape when only recognizable and popular brands or celebrities got new cartoon shows, yes.

Originality is dying unless you can find success with independent.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.