Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 6:49 pm

Looks like Lake City Credit is relatively well known for this behavior:

https://stopcollections.org/debt-collec ... ity-credit

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Dec 2022, 5:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If it's 30 years ago, the Statute of Limitations has PROBABLY run out. Unless you kept on calling and referring to the debt. Usually, collections and such are deleted from your credit report after 7 1/2 years.

I doubt you have much to worry about pertaining to the Lake City thing.
Hypothetical question. If I'm currently paying on a debt & decide to quit paying after it's 7 years old, would the statute of limitations to sue start over when I quit paying or would it still be from when the debt occurred :?:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 8:21 pm

MuddRM wrote:
… for nonpayment of a debit.

Back when I was much younger (and just as stupid as I am now, which was roughly 30 years ago), I applied for a Citibank Visa card, which ended up in collections. I no longer have any of the original paperwork regarding that debt.

On December 9, I get a call from Lake City Credit out of Dallas, TX stating pay up, or be sued. Since I no longer have that paperwork, once I was evicted from my late mother’s estate in 2012 by its current owner (namely, my next to youngest brother). I told Lake City to send me verification of this debt. They were reluctant to do so, and was told to Call Citibank. However, Citibank no longer has any records regarding this debt by searching their databases by account number (which was supplied by Lake City and does not appear to be a valid credit card number), nor by social security number. Upon advice of my attorney, since I’m sure the statute of limitation to collect the debt has run out, I filed a complaint with the PA Attorney General, the State of Texas Attorney General, the South Dakota Attorney General, and the Consumer Finance Protection Board of the Federal Trade Commission. I have already, on December19, heard back from the CFPB, which stated essentially that Citibank has no business relationship with Lake City Credit, and referred the matter back to Citibank. I have twice contacted Citibank Cards Customer Service, at their main phone number, and at their credit card center in Florence, KY (which is suburban Cincinnati, OH) to speak to their compliance officer, without success. Both offices ran searches for my account via Social Security card, and has come up empty each time. I have also sent a letter, via USPS to this compliance officer the evening of December 19, and carbon copied to my attorney.

At this point, I don’t know what else to do. So far, this debt has not shown up on my credit report, (I’ve been running up charges on both my Walmart Card, as well as my Apple Mastercard, and my PayPal account (when I purchased the trashcan Mac Pro, when my 4th Gen Cheesegrater Mac Pro decided to give up the ghost.). These constant call from scammers and debt collectors I have never heard from has my anxiety and my blood sugars going through the roof, which is also not helping with my chronic kidney disease. Add to the fact I owe the urologist almost $1000 for the laser lithotripsy to destroy kidney stones, and being transitioned over to a continuous glucose monitor and insulin pump operation, and I can’t handle much more stress. I’m already having thoughts of committing suicide, and have been unable to get an appointment with a psychologist or psychiatrist at Wellspan Philhaven or UPMC psychological, as both offices are extremely short-staffed.

well I am not a lawyer but if you do get arrested for this just plead the 5th to the arresting officer and dont talk to the cops at all but still be nice and polite and cooperative but the cops are not your friends if they come to arrest you.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 8:28 pm

No record of all this, you have called around and even talked to the company and they have no record of your debt and you're nowhere in their system, this is likely a scam. I would ignore and not worry about it. Look up debt collection scam.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 8:59 pm

MuddRM wrote:
… for nonpayment of a debit.

Back when I was much younger (and just as stupid as I am now, which was roughly 30 years ago), I applied for a Citibank Visa card, which ended up in collections. I no longer have any of the original paperwork regarding that debt.

On December 9, I get a call from Lake City Credit out of Dallas, TX stating pay up, or be sued. Since I no longer have that paperwork, once I was evicted from my late mother’s estate in 2012 by its current owner (namely, my next to youngest brother). I told Lake City to send me verification of this debt. They were reluctant to do so, and was told to Call Citibank. However, Citibank no longer has any records regarding this debt by searching their databases by account number (which was supplied by Lake City and does not appear to be a valid credit card number), nor by social security number. Upon advice of my attorney, since I’m sure the statute of limitation to collect the debt has run out, I filed a complaint with the PA Attorney General, the State of Texas Attorney General, the South Dakota Attorney General, and the Consumer Finance Protection Board of the Federal Trade Commission. I have already, on December19, heard back from the CFPB, which stated essentially that Citibank has no business relationship with Lake City Credit, and referred the matter back to Citibank. I have twice contacted Citibank Cards Customer Service, at their main phone number, and at their credit card center in Florence, KY (which is suburban Cincinnati, OH) to speak to their compliance officer, without success. Both offices ran searches for my account via Social Security card, and has come up empty each time. I have also sent a letter, via USPS to this compliance officer the evening of December 19, and carbon copied to my attorney.

At this point, I don’t know what else to do. So far, this debt has not shown up on my credit report, (I’ve been running up charges on both my Walmart Card, as well as my Apple Mastercard, and my PayPal account (when I purchased the trashcan Mac Pro, when my 4th Gen Cheesegrater Mac Pro decided to give up the ghost.). These constant call from scammers and debt collectors I have never heard from has my anxiety and my blood sugars going through the roof, which is also not helping with my chronic kidney disease. Add to the fact I owe the urologist almost $1000 for the laser lithotripsy to destroy kidney stones, and being transitioned over to a continuous glucose monitor and insulin pump operation, and I can’t handle much more stress. I’m already having thoughts of committing suicide, and have been unable to get an appointment with a psychologist or psychiatrist at Wellspan Philhaven or UPMC psychological, as both offices are extremely short-staffed.

also there are companies that buy zombie debt and even reactivate old debt and get debt collectors to get money from them and the debt collectors are horrible.A debt buyer could of bought your old debt for pennies on the dollar so maybe this is what whats happening.Its really traumatic for many people.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 7:24 am

nick007 wrote:
Hypothetical question. If I'm currently paying on a debt & decide to quit paying after it's 7 years old, would the statute of limitations to sue start over when I quit paying or would it still be from when the debt occurred :?:

It would start on the day you default on the loan or it is referred to collections. It would also re-start after 7 years or a charge-off if anyone gets to to admit to the debt.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Dec 2022, 3:26 pm

DanielW wrote:
nick007 wrote:

It would start on the day you default on the loan or it is referred to collections. It would also re-start after 7 years or a charge-off if anyone gets to to admit to the debt.
Thanx. This stuff is designed to be intentionally confusing in order to scare people like the OP into paying up. No wonder lots of sites don't explain things well in layman terms.

I know the OP is understandably freaking out about this so I'll say that debtors prisons were officially abolished in the US in 1833. There's an expression I've heard in my General Business class in high-school & a few other places that goes something like "there is no debtors prison". However it's more complicated than that of coarse. Requiring bail & sending people to jail for not paying legal fines could be argued as being debtors prisons but that's not something the OP should worry about as long as he cooperates if he receives a legal summons & cooperates in court.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 3:59 pm

He won't get a summons. In fact there's nothing to it because they refused to follow the debt verification process required by FTC. The important thing is to respond by certified mail requesting the debt verification in writing. This is law they cannot break. If they break the law they won't go to court since it'll get them in more trouble than the debtor.

He can block their numbers and sleep soundly (and monitor his credit).