Page 2 of 25 [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 1:36 pm

Those prawns sounded good bty.
I try to save dead fruit wood to bbq with, adds some nice flavor.Apple wood is really nice.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 1:55 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Those prawns sounded good bty.
I try to save dead fruit wood to bbq with, adds some nice flavor.Apple wood is really nice.

They're really good! God bless Costco. :D I think they're around $23cdn for 40-50 coconut battered shrimp & sweet chilli sauce, so the 8 of them I had last night were about $4. Not too bad. I would have been a cheap date if I didn't Also eat some other things and pour myself a $7 drink of whiskey. :lol: Ah well, better $15 at home than $55 in a restaurant!

Apple/fruit wood cooking would be nice! We just use whatever driftwood washes up.. cedar when we can, try to avoid any treated woods. There's so much driftwood on the beach due to the log booms coming down the river a stone's throw to the back of the beach that it's impossible to burn it all in the Winter for the people that come down for fires. Once or twice a year they barge in an excavator to remove excess logs. But we do try, though.. one friend brought his chainsaw down yesterday to chop up a few logs and make sure the fire was raging hot for the dozen or so people there. 8) No fruit tree logs coming down log booms, though! ha. And apparently in Mexico there's no wood on the beaches.. no logs for furniture to sit on etc - since there's no forestry industry there for stray logs to float away from. I never really thought about that until it was said yesterday.. oh yeah, beaches down in Oregon and California were sandy and clear - no wood. Much harder to cook on the beaches there vs. here where homeless folks can score something good to cook up and then head down to this particular beach to make a cooking fire and enjoy their steak or salmon or whatever. It's quite a neat place to cook - beautiful surroundings. Just no apple wood unless you buy it and carry it down the ~480 stairs. (No thanks.)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 8:51 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
only a handful of times in my life have i ever been accused of cooking something.

8O What do you eat? Got a stove/oven ? Bbq/fire pit outside? Gotta be a means of adding heat to food and cooking things up..

big diff between cooking something versus merely heating something in the nuker or in a pan on the stove. i subsist on birdseye frozen veggies and canned foods. i watch for things like palm oil and hydrogenation and refined carbs and salt and sugar, so i do pay nominal attention to my health. i just don't do cooking, is all. cooking means slaving over a stove or fire for hours. not enough time for that. or energy.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 9:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
only a handful of times in my life have i ever been accused of cooking something.

8O What do you eat? Got a stove/oven ? Bbq/fire pit outside? Gotta be a means of adding heat to food and cooking things up..

big diff between cooking something versus merely heating something in the nuker or in a pan on the stove. i subsist on birdseye frozen veggies and canned foods. i watch for things like palm oil and hydrogenation and refined carbs and salt and sugar, so i do pay nominal attention to my health. i just don't do cooking, is all. cooking means slaving over a stove or fire for hours. not enough time for that. or energy.

I like to cook things. Baked chicken is my specialty. :chef:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 10:00 pm

/\Have you stuffed a lemon and rosemary in its cavity? Poke the lemon with a toothpick to release the juices and aroma.It helps to keep the meat from drying out and the rosemary makes everything better.Other herbs work well also.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 10:03 pm

I’ve never owned a microwave.

Everything is roast, fry, or grill.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 10:37 pm

Misslizard wrote:
/\Have you stuffed a lemon and rosemary in its cavity? Poke the lemon with a toothpick to release the juices and aroma.It helps to keep the meat from drying out and the rosemary makes everything better.Other herbs work well also.

Actually I tend to cook chicken leg quarters by putting a little meat tenderizer on them with a small spoon full of margarine. The skin is really crispy and savory. :)

I can also do BBQ chicken as well as fried chicken.

And I can do hamburgers, chicken in rice, chicken in dumplings, fried and baked porkchops, etc. :chef:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 11:03 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i bet you could give the colonel a run for his money. :chef:

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 11:19 pm

auntblabby wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i bet you could give the colonel a run for his money. :chef:

Lol ironically I dont like chicken from KFC, I prefer Popeyes or Churches. They're delicious when I don't have to cook! :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 11:56 pm

to this day i haven't lived anywhere near a popeyes or a church's.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2023, 12:12 am

auntblabby wrote:

That's too bad...

I bet you would like em both. :D

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2023, 12:16 am

I didn’t really cook tdy. Nuked a chorizo and made a sandwich earlier. My mom made a huge pot of clam chowder so I had salad and soup for dinner.

auntblabby wrote:

Churches is meh, forgettable like some many others.

Popeyes tastes great! Especially their gravy. Makes kfc look like total garbage. 100% would choose Popeyes over any other chain any time. (But I still only eat it maybe a couple times a year or so - keeps it tasting Good vs being a regular thing.)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2023, 12:18 am

goldfish21 wrote:
I didn’t really cook tdy. Nuked a chorizo and made a sandwich earlier. My mom made a huge pot of clam chowder so I had salad and soup for dinner.

auntblabby wrote:

Churches is meh, forgettable like some many others.

Popeyes tastes great! Especially their gravy. Makes kfc look like total garbage. 100% would choose Popeyes over any other chain any time. (But I still only eat it maybe a couple times a year or so - keeps it tasting Good vs being a regular thing.)

that is wise of you to limit your fast food. even if right now your body will let you get away with it. soon enough the body will eventually lessen its tolerance of it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2023, 12:22 am

Right now my body needs to get to work/workout/run.. getting soft. Had some time off and been slacking on workouts while eating sweets.

40 now, gotta be more disciplined with diet and exercise. Part of the reason I made this thread to remind Me to cook heathy food, too. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2023, 12:48 am

i take it you have a sweet tooth. i have a salty/creamy/greasy tooth, just as tough to deal with.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2023, 1:31 am

more ribs
more JP with cheese and bacon
garlic bread with cheese
French fries
mashed potatoes
corn and asparagus

It was a clean out the pantry and use up the potatoes kinda day, with carbs on top.