Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 11:08 am

Is Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) a Type of Neurodiversity?

Quote:
Over time, the concept of neurodiversity has grown to includeTrusted Source others who may experience the world uniquely due to neurological differences — including those living with certain mental health conditions, such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

Some have also suggested that borderline personality disorder (BPD) may also fall under the umbrella of neurodiversity. BPD is a mental health condition marked by abrupt shifts in mood, difficulty regulating emotions, dissociation, intense fears of abandonment, or a distorted and changeable sense of self.

Currently, experts don’t formally recognize BPD as a neurodivergent condition, but that could change in the future.

Research continues to delve into the neurological underpinnings in BPD.

“BPD is not yet officially classified as a neurodivergent condition, according to published research, but evidence suggests it should be considered a neurodivergent disorder,” says Jeanette Lorandini, a licensed clinical social worker in New York City and director of Suffolk DBT.

For instance, one 2022 review explored the high prevalence of overlapping symptoms, such as impulsivity and difficulties with emotions, in BPD and ADHD. ADHD is a recognized neurodivergent condition. Review authors found both conditions involved changes in the same two regions of the brain.

Neurodiversity in BPD may not be limited to neurological function, either. In a 2019 review, experts found that people with BPD may experience changes in brain structure as well as brain function.

People with BPD may have underlying neurological differences compared with those who don’t have the condition. These differences could factor into their experiences of intense emotions and difficulty with regulating emotions, Lorandini explains.

Those differences in brain structure and function may also play a part in certain traits and behaviors common with both BPD and recognized neurodivergent conditions.
Stimming
Sensory Overload
Systemizing
Emotional Dysregulation
Differences in Executive Function

While many experts consider BPD a type of neurodiversity, others remain uncertain.

More research may help uncover how commonly these neurological features appear with BPD and offer more supporting evidence.

Experts have mapped and identified clear neurological differences for neurodevelopmental conditions like ADHD and autism. But they have yet to discover the same for BPD — or come to any conclusionsTrusted Source about whether brain changes cause BPD, or BPD causes changes in the brain.

What’s more, experts knowTrusted Source that factors beyond neurology, including genetics an

Approaching BPD as a type of neurodivergence can mark a helpful first step in shifting your perspective — and that of others — when receiving a diagnosis.

There’s a lot of stigma around BPD, and facing negative attitudes from others can sometimes trigger feelings of shame or a fear of judgment — both of which can make it harder to talk about your symptoms or seek support.

Yet viewing BPD through the lens of neurodiversity could help to reframe the public’s perception of people with BPD as well as provide a more compassionate and understanding approach to treatment, Lorandini points out.

There’s no cure for BPD, but support from a mental health professional can make a major difference in your quality of life, relationships, and day-to-day function.

If you have BPD, your therapist may recommend trying dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), a form of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) specifically designed to help people with BPD.

DBT focuses on helping you learn to tolerate distress and accept and regulate difficult emotions productively.

BPD seems like it could be a form of autism.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 12:42 pm

I'm surprised that BPD would not be considered a neurodiversity.

I do not think it is a type of Autism, however. They might share some traits (as do ADHD and Autism) and they might co-exist in the same individual but I think they are different.

In general I don't think all neurodiversities qualify as "disorders". I don't even think Autism is always a "disorder", in some folk I think it is more of a "difference" (I include myself in the "difference" realm). But, based upon my limited knowledge on the topic, BPD might possibly be an honest-to-gosh disorder...though I have no idea at all whether or not it has a biological basis or is a learned/conditioned behaviour.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 12:48 pm

Individuals with BPD pose a significant threat to society. Individuals with BPD harm others without any remorse.

"Neurodiverse" makes it sound benign. They are in fact a predator conscience.

The disorder is able to generate experiences from paranoia that make the ill person believe are true, and use the self-generated realities as a justification for their harmful actions. They might not be competent to be held responsible for their actions as their reality would likely significantly disagree with presented facts, they would not be able to understand what they stand accused of.

Last edited by r00tb33r on 15 Jan 2023, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 12:56 pm

The difference with BPD is that its generally caused by psychological trauma - not present from birth. Science has already discovered that trauma re-wires the brain, so it that sense, yes people with BPD are neurodiverse, just as those with PTSD, or other psychological disorders are. You can extend that logic to those with depression or TBI as well.

Would I say that those conditions are related to ADHD or autism? No, I don't think neurodiversity and Autism, ADHD or psychological illnesses are necessarily related beyond the fact that that they share a difference in neurology that is outside the "norm".

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 1:02 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Individuals with BPD pose a significant threat to society. Individuals with BPD harm others without any remorse.

Not necessarily, Many with BPD are no threat to anyone, in fact that are more likely to be harmed by others. There are extremes, sure but you can't accurately state that everyone with BPD is a threat to society as a general rule. You seem to be equating BPD the major psychopathy - that's just not true or a fair statement.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 1:04 pm

^ I'm talking about the "remorse" component. An individual whose mind is able to self-generate an event outside the reality cannot feel remorse for an action when they consider it justified.

I agree that since it's not present at birth it does not fit the definition of neurodiversity.

FletcherArrow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2023, 10:28 am

Bipolar Disorder is not a type of neurodiversity.

Bipolar Disorder is a Personality disorder.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Jan 2023, 7:41 pm

FletcherArrow wrote:
Bipolar Disorder is not a type of neurodiversity.

Bipolar Disorder is a Personality disorder.
I don't think anybody here mentioned Bipolar Disorder. BPD stands for Broderline Personality Disorder which does have some similarities with Bipolar Disorder but BPD has lots of differences as well.

DanielW wrote:
The difference with BPD is that its generally caused by psychological trauma - not present from birth. Science has already discovered that trauma re-wires the brain, so it that sense, yes people with BPD are neurodiverse, just as those with PTSD, or other psychological disorders are. You can extend that logic to those with depression or TBI as well.

Would I say that those conditions are related to ADHD or autism? No, I don't think neurodiversity and Autism, ADHD or psychological illnesses are necessarily related beyond the fact that that they share a difference in neurology that is outside the "norm".
Well said. Lots of disorders have overlapping symptoms & bad experiences related to having some disorders like autism can contribute to developing other disorders like BPD.

r00tb33r wrote:
^ I'm talking about the "remorse" component. An individual whose mind is able to self-generate an event outside the reality cannot feel remorse for an action when they consider it justified.

I agree that since it's not present at birth it does not fit the definition of neurodiversity.
I was diagnosed with BPD along with Aspergers when I had a mental breakdown at 20 over my 1st relationship falling apart. I was having lots of various issues then & I caused lots of various problems for my 1st girlfriend & my parents then that I still feel horribly guilty about. I worked on myself in various ways since then because I hated the person I was. I'm not that person anymore or at least it's NOT the person I want to be. Being on a good psych med combo helps a lot as well. I highly doubt that any halfway decent psych would give me the BPD label these days. My current girlfriend is probably on the boarder of having BPD along with other various things & she feels very guilty for the way she acted when she was having a bad mood after she's calmed down.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 7:43 pm

DanielW wrote:

This. Both BPD and NPD seem to be adaptations to deeply adverse / abusive childhood circumstances.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 7:51 pm

My opinion is that it’s treatable with medication and classified as mental illness so no, it’s not ND.

Babies aren't born with BPD.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 12:48 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My opinion is that it’s treatable with medication and classified as mental illness so no, it’s not ND.

Babies aren't born with BPD.
Some people consider autism & ADHD mental illnesses. ADHD is treated by medication in some people. Some of us autistics find meds help with some of our autism symtoms like meltdowns.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 12:56 am

I've never heard of ASD being considered a mental illness. That would mean the person was born Neurotypical and developed typically but then started to be autistic later in life.

ADHD is considered a mental health "disorder" but it's also proven to be neurodevelopmental, meaning people are born with it and it's not evidence of a disease process or illness.

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/facts.html

You're right there are meds to help ADHD. Some ND conditions can have behaviours controlled a little by medication but it's not like Depression or Anxiety where doctors hope it will go away completely with treatment. It's a permanent condition that we can learn to manage with meds or therapy, but it's still there on a neurobiological level.

I'm having trouble putting links but the best explanation I've seen was a YT video by Stefanie Bethany about "What is Neurodiversity?" I think she explained it really well, and better than I could do.

BPD wouldn't fit those criteria.

Found it! Yay! ^

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2023, 3:27 pm

r00tb33r wrote:

"Neurodiverse" makes it sound benign. They are in fact a predator conscience.

Homosexual online friend has BPD and he was never really a threat. Except that phase where he converted to muslim brotherhood islamism and tried to convert his family. He even managed to convert a jewish friend to islamism. That was also the only time he managed to piss me off, and I know him since 2015. That phase lasted like 3 months.

Fun fact: He actually left Syria because islamists threatened him. He was an Alawi journalist. He got beaten up by islamists in Germany too, because when he went to a mosque he criticized their radical preachers.

I thought he did it to piss off his family (I know his uncle too, and he's an atheist). Or some kind of Stockholm syndrome.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 4:19 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've never heard of ASD being considered a mental illness. That would mean the person was born Neurotypical and developed typically but then started to be autistic later in life.
Some people use the terms Mental Disorder & Mental Illness interchangeably & thus they think of all mental disorders as mental illnesses. There's also people who believe that the term Mental Illness needs to be changed or replaced because of negative stigma. I'll listen to that vid sometime soon. Don't feel like turning my music off for that long rite now on computer.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jan 2023, 4:57 am

! magz wrote:
A reminder of boundaries of the site:
It is acceptable to talk about personal painful experiences*.
It is not acceptable to generalize these experiences of whole groups likely containing WP members.

In case of this thread:
Many WP members suffer from BPD and manage it better or worse.
It is entirely not true that BPD makes one incapable of remorse. That's a psychopatic trait, not BPD.
A person with BPD can harm others without understanding it is harm. But that, actually, can happen to anyone - only mental health issues of any kind make it more likely.
If BPD is in any way similar to C-PTSD I suffered, extensive guilt was actually a big part of it.

I leave the post harmfully stereotyping BPD people only because of the value of responses to it.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

26 Jan 2023, 7:59 am

Just to add - the 30 year-old Clinton quote was not about BPD.