Any Knights, Warriors, or Wizards?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

offa1996
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2023, 1:02 am

(originally posted in wrong forum)
The thing I like most is medievalism. And fantasy. Games, books, lore, history, facts, myths, etc.

I feel I am a true Knight, and I read a lot about knights, kings, crusaders, ships, etc. Medievalism/Fantasy.

For example, did you know that the French created castles, literally, the concept, I mean, originated from the French?

Medievalism...I was hoping to share this interest and passion about me, and learn about others similar likes. Even a simple conversation, or fact or agreable statement would make this worthwhile. Maybe you're a peasant, or a rogue? A Knight? Not fantastical but an 'ordinary Joe' that read a gooood PG-13 fantasy novel? ...I swear, *some* authors can ruin a whole book. Than post it here! Drawings welcome, character concepts, etc. anything informative.

...Ummm, also, posting this creates fear and nervousness that a Direwolf [Direwolf, not dire wolf!] could smell. Because I want to make friends on this site but I have unsteady footholds in posting posts. But I tried.

:skull: :wink:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 1:07 am

What about priests?

offa1996
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2023, 1:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
What about priests?

If it was alive in medieval times, being even a rooster, it would count yes lol.

Hmm..

The Priests held all the power, or, rather, the Church. Know much about that? As far as trials, heresy, etc. of the top of your dad noggin?

I do say, I am just as much interested in Priests as well as Knights :)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 1:31 pm

Personally I like to smear Early Modern and Medievalism together. That's why the working title for my fantasy setting was Vikings With Guns. :mrgreen:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

offa1996
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2023, 1:42 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Personally I like to smear Early Modern and Medievalism together. That's why the working title for my fantasy setting was Vikings With Guns. :mrgreen:

...... 8O

That is so incredibly intricately inventive and artistic that you just blew my black and green striped socks off!

I didn't conceive of combining cultures and I'm already a young adult.

Your Vikings With Guns sounds out of this world!

Thanks for sharing. I will dabble in that for my pleasure later.

Are Vikings your favorite?

8)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 1:55 pm

offa1996 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

...... 8O

That is so incredibly intricately inventive and artistic that you just blew my black and green striped socks off!

8)

They were, although I've gone through periods of fascination with the steppes, Central and Eastern European, Russian, English, Great Lakes/Eastern Woodlands and some other cultures. One thing I find is that it's hard to have a favourite.

I've got some very rough skeleton planning for some novels set within this world. I've worked on it all off-and-on since high school and at this point I've got lore for much of the world, even parts my stories don't interact with.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

offa1996
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2023, 2:36 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
offa1996 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

...... 8O

8)

They were, although I've gone through periods of fascination with the steppes, Central and Eastern European, Russian, English, Great Lakes/Eastern Woodlands and some other cultures. One thing I find is that it's hard to have a favourite.

I've got some very rough skeleton planning for some novels set within this world. I've worked on it all off-and-on since high school and at this point I've got lore for much of the world, even parts my stories don't interact with.

Can you enlighten me? I've never heard of words used this way. I understand they are geographical areas with different cultures, but could you divulge which man stays where? Only about Great Lakes and Eastern woodlands.

...what I'm trying to say is I dont understand why you wrote it out like that. I feel as if I'm missing something when it comes to organizing cultures!

I will pray your books get published and they honestly I think will because a good book takes only a good set of brawny brains and a soul strong enough to make those words flow. Good luck. When your books come out, I think I'll read them.

:)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 2:57 pm

offa1996 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
offa1996 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

...... 8O

8)

Can you enlighten me? I've never heard of words used this way. I understand they are geographical areas with different cultures, but could you divulge which man stays where? Only about Great Lakes and Eastern woodlands.

...what I'm trying to say is I dont understand why you wrote it out like that. I feel as if I'm missing something when it comes to organizing cultures!

I will pray your books get published and they honestly I think will because a good book takes only a good set of brawny brains and a soul strong enough to make those words flow. Good luck. When your books come out, I think I'll read them.

Great Lakes/Eastern Woodlands is what's now Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, southern Ontario, southern Quebec, Vermont, NY, etc.

I'm Abenaki, we're originally from what's now Quebec and Vermont. Iroquoian and Algonquian speakers were the main inhabitants of what I'm calling the Great Lakes and Eastern Woodlands. Abenaki is an Algonquian language, but the land I live on traditionally spoke Wyandot and to the south are Six Nations/Haudenosaunee lands.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

offa1996
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2023, 3:23 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
offa1996 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
offa1996 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

...... 8O

8)

Great Lakes/Eastern Woodlands is what's now Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, southern Ontario, southern Quebec, Vermont, NY, etc.

I'm Abenaki, we're originally from what's now Quebec and Vermont. Iroquoian and Algonquian speakers were the main inhabitants of what I'm calling the Great Lakes and Eastern Woodlands. Abenaki is an Algonquian language, but the land I live on traditionally spoke Wyandot and to the south are Six Nations/Haudenosaunee lands.

Ahhh thank you. You scratched an itch with that post.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 4:33 pm

I'd be tortured and executed as a witch for sure. I'm left handed, that alone would be enough to get me killed.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 5:13 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Meh. If you're gonna give Vikings guns then you might as well just move them up by six centuries, and make them pirates of the Spanish Main. Sorry to rain on your parade.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 6:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Meh. If you're gonna give Vikings guns then you might as well just move them up by six centuries, and make them pirates of the Spanish Main. Sorry to rain on your parade.

I think you slightly miss what I'm getting at, it's not one group of people in the Dark Ages with guns, it's that the entire region has some cultural traits that are more similar to the early medieval period or even migration period, but a lot of their material technology is more along the lines of 1550-1650s.

There's instances where it's more advanced (cameras, balloons, international trade) and mostly off-screen there's a part of the world with more advanced tech, than the area I plan on storytelling in. A lot of it deals with men who's societal norms place them in these needlessly violent and tragic outcomes. The idea is that the problems of a tribal society that largely relies on vendetta justice are still widespread even despite attempts at establishing rule of law, but also that subverting rule of law in favour of traditional lack of law is glorified in many circles.

What I have so far is an absolute clusterf**k of interwoven short stories, largely dealing with political intrigues that result in a civil war from a few dozen people's perspectives (both directly involved actors and regular schmucks just trying to survive).

In the background is that place with more advanced tech starting to see the region as requiring their attention (aka gunboat diplomacy), but that's the big plot twist/possible shark jump moment in season 5. :mrgreen:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

offa1996
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2023, 6:54 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I'd be tortured and executed as a witch for sure. I'm left handed, that alone would be enough to get me killed.

Where did you learn this?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 12:24 am

Would a Sweet Pea be considered a Wizard?

offa1996
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2023, 10:40 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Would a Sweet Pea be considered a Wizard?

I don't know.

I almost took that philosophically.

We are talking about sweet peas, those morsels of green mush that I like?

I guess, if a wizard turned it into a wizard!!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2023, 2:50 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
10 signs you may have been accused of being a witch:

1. Are you a woman?

2. Do you have a pet? (Bonus question: Do you talk to your pet?)

3. Do you have a birthmark, mole, or wart anywhere on your body?

4. Do you have an irritating personality?

5. Do you act "weird", especially around kids?

6. Are you middle-aged?

7. Are you quick to anger?

8. Have you stopped going to church?

9. Have you ever threatened anyone, and then it totally came true?

10. Has anyone ever reported dreaming about you (any kind of dream)?

The more 'yes' answers you give, the more likely you would be accused of being a witch back in the "Good Old Days".

Other signs: Left-handedness (you mentioned this), knowledgeable / well-educated, openly hostile toward men, uncovered hair, likes to draw, skilled with herbal medicine, exceptionally pretty, exceptionally ugly, walks with a limp, speech impediment, and many other "obvious" signs.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.