(Americans) You should make your own ranch dressing

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2023, 11:55 pm

I put (Americans) in the title because we all know the wonder that is ranch dressing is an American thing. It's the source of our freedom.

Unfortunately, many of my fellow freedom loving Americans have rarely, if ever, had real ranch dressing. Most ranch I have had in my life before I made my own was watery. This is not real ranch. Real ranch dressing should almost be something you chew, because it's so thick.

The stuff you get in bottles is not real ranch dressing. It's some made up crap. It has preservatives in it to increase its shelf life and they don't put the things in that decrease its shelf life. Real ranch dressing can't stay out of the fridge for long without going bad. They made that fake crap to push more salad dressing. Blame the big salad mafia.

Buy the ranch dressing packets. The same brand, "Hidden Ranch," is true to their name in that the real ranch packets are hidden in the grocery store.

You need to then buy mayonnaise - don't buy the cheap crap here or the lite mayonnaise. We are Americans dammit, and you deserve to have real ranch. Buy the Hellmann's. Kraft is good too. Don't get store brand. Its not worth it. Save the store brand for when your non American friends visit - they can't handle true freedom anyways.

Then you buy buttermilk, and mix it. 1 cup of buttermilk + 1 cup mayo + 1 packet = ranch. I suggest you keep it in the fridge for a bit before using, as this will thicken it up.

Since making my own, I eat a lot more salads.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 12:12 am

My dad recalls his mother being really happy when she could finally buy ranch dressing and stop making it. :lol: Only one time did I have the good fortune of trying her homemade ranch dressing. I asked her for her recipe when I was grown and she didn't give it to me, saying it was better to simply buy it premade. 8O Blasphemy, I say. At least I got her lemon raspberry pie recipe.

I agree though. Homemade is always better when it comes to things like that. Personally, I'm a fan of my honey mustard vinaigrette, but I never have played around with ranch much. I should. I do like the stuff.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 12:17 am

I just pass over this problem entirely since I only like vinaigrette dressings. For sure give me some oil/vinegar mix with spices any day over any gross creamy looking dressings.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 12:23 am

I don't like Ranch.
Vinaigrettes are good, or maybe something like Russian, French or Catalina.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2023, 1:26 am

We have found at least two communist sympathizers.

No freedumb loving American goes a day without Ranch dressing and their AR-15! I sometimes fire off a few rounds into my salad to keep the lead levels high enough to maintain my capitalism.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 2:35 am

I like Caesar.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 3:04 am

Well I will be staying communist strong with the vinigerttee,, ha ha I like the vinegar it is a good bitter flavour.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 5:31 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I will be staying communist strong with the vinigerttee,, ha ha I like the vinegar it is a good bitter flavour.

At least you havent admitted to liking...gasp!...Russian dressing!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 5:35 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I have seen it in stores an it looks creamy, so yeah that is out too, idk if I cannot see through the dressing and it is not vinegar and oil based I want nothing to do with it. I am picky about my dressing.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 6:09 am

Dressings and dips are always better made from scratch - which ever type you prefer :-) I even skip the seasoning packet ranch nowadays in favor of my own mix of herbs and flavorings. I agree on using real, quality ingredients too.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Feb 2023, 6:24 am

I'm so American that my idea of ranch dressing is putting Tabasco sauce on burgers & hot-dogs & other meats :mrgreen: I don't like salad.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2023, 5:38 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I like Caesar.

I tried to buy it once but I dropped it on the steps and it got stabbed from behind by the other groceries.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2023, 5:39 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

We shall call it Freedom dressing from now on! Of course, we already renamed French dressing as Freedom dressing so if you ask for it, its a tossup what you actually get.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2023, 5:40 pm

DanielW wrote:
Dressings and dips are always better made from scratch - which ever type you prefer :-) I even skip the seasoning packet ranch nowadays in favor of my own mix of herbs and flavorings. I agree on using real, quality ingredients too.

FINALLY a fellow capitalist. For extra points get the serfs to grow your own herbs. Make them mix it too.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 6:34 pm

stratozyck wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I like Caesar.

I tried to buy it once but I dropped it on the steps and it got stabbed from behind by the other groceries.

It still rules.
Don’t buy it on that special day in March.Get Green Goddess instead.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 7:48 pm

I'm Canadian and I've only used store bought ranch dressing, so I wouldn't know.

I've found mixing ranch dressing with bbq sauce to be really good.