"ladies and gentlemen, honored guests!"

Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2023, 7:14 pm

It's an extension of "ladies and gentlemen! used to include people who identify as agender.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 7:39 pm

wouldn't it work better as 'ladies, gentlemen, and honored guests'? But then i guess that would imply that the ladies and gentlemen aren't honored guests...But with the original, it sounds like it's just saying that the ladies and gentlemen are honored guests! Truly a lingustic conundrum

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 7:41 pm

Readydaer wrote:
But with the original, it sounds like it's just saying that the ladies and gentlemen are honored guests!

Agreed.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 7:48 pm

I like "ladies and gentlemen". Just sounds so traditional and formal. Why do things have to change?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 8:00 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Why do things have to change?

Both because we constantly stack our knowledge and insights on top of each other, which constantly changes how we understand things (both as individuals and as societies); but also because we've never had any option but to adapt to things that change around us (which probably explains why we developed the tendency to learn like we do).

I know it's a terribly unfulfilling answer, but it's because that's what things do.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 8:03 pm

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 8:06 pm

Joe90 wrote:

SAMSEK!! ! :heart: :heart: :heart:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2023, 8:28 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I like "ladies and gentlemen". Just sounds so traditional and formal. Why do things have to change?

Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 9:04 pm

Sonic200 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I hate it, and so do most people I know. I fear the west is going to turn into a communist country soon.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 9:18 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Sonic200 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I hate it, and so do most people I know. I fear the west is going to turn into a communist country soon.

Why would change = change towards communism?
Especially change of this sort which has no impact on the overall structure of society. I really don't see how language evolving will lead to communism, or even how it could lead to communism.

Allowing natural changes to occur isn't authoritarianism, if anything it would authoritarianism to actively seek to prevent it.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 3:24 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Sonic200 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Why would change = change towards communism?
Especially change of this sort which has no impact on the overall structure of society. I really don't see how language evolving will lead to communism, or even how it could lead to communism.

Allowing natural changes to occur isn't authoritarianism, if anything it would authoritarianism to actively seek to prevent it.

Right.

You ARE just joking, arent you?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 3:35 am

How about just "Honoured Guests .." since everyone is honoured regardless of their junk?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 4:00 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
How about just "Honoured Guests .." since everyone is honoured regardless of their junk?

Why not just say "ladies and gentlemen"? That covers everyone. Both genders, and everyone in-between. Doesnt it?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Feb 2023, 5:22 am

At least in this case, Polish is easier.

"Szanowni Państwo" - polite plural adressing people of mixed or unknown gender.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 7:24 am

I remember the days when many people here believed that autism and NT were the only types of people - some of the same people who don't believe there are only two genders. :wink:

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 7:53 am

Joe90 wrote:

why do you fear that? That's an ideal society!